Mustard

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Mustard

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm a Dijon man myself: smooth, mild-mannered and sophisticated! :naughty:
This is the way
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:04 pm I'm a Dijon man myself: smooth, mild-mannered and sophisticated! :naughty:
:thumb: :cheers:
Attachments
Screenshot_20240310-182317_1.jpg
Screenshot_20240310-182317_1.jpg (58.45 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yep, that's my moutarde préférée :naughty: . My local supermarket no longer stocks it (philistines... :roll: ) and the own brand alternatives are not as good, so I now get it from Amazon.
This is the way
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:04 pm I'm a Dijon man myself: smooth, mild-mannered and sophisticated! :naughty:
For me, not smooth, the course grain Dijon is my favourite.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:04 pm
So... coarse, aggressive and unsophisticated! :thumb: :laugh: :duck:
This is the way
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:28 pm
STEVE G wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:04 pm
So... coarse, aggressive and unsophisticated! :thumb: :laugh: :duck:
Yep!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Incidentally, the last time I saw the Colemans English mustard powder, it was in the old shopping mall in town but that was a while ago.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Has anyone seen tins of powdered Colman's in shops in Hua Hin? I don't even see it on Lazada or Shopee. I prefer to mix it myself for a real kick, and a jar anyway has lost its magic by the time I've used half of it.
In Tops at the bottom of soi 88, they have small tins of Mcgarrett mustard powder which is a brand I haven't come across before:
Attachments
PSX_20240311_163956.jpg
PSX_20240311_163956.jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 819 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve bought that here before - not certain but I think from Makro. Didn’t do a side by side test with Coleman’s but from memory it was fairly strong!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:28 pm I’ve bought that here before - not certain but I think from Makro. Didn’t do a side by side test with Coleman’s but from memory it was fairly strong!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it's strong. The tin is very small. Mine is too old now to try a side-by-side test with fresh Colman's powder.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Now THAT's a tin for a mustard addict!
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

I developed a taste for Dijon mustard when I lived in France and have liked it ever since. It's the only kind that makes for a proper vinaigrette, IMHO.

This is the brand I usually buy here. All the main supermarkets sell it.
remia-mustard.jpg
remia-mustard.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 542 times
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:33 pm I developed a taste for Dijon mustard when I lived in France and have liked it ever since. It's the only kind that makes for a proper vinaigrette, IMHO.

This is the brand I usually buy here. All the main supermarkets sell it.

remia-mustard.jpg
We buy this one too but not a match to the real one, picture posted above, «Amora fine et forte»
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

cowhead mustard.jpeg
cowhead mustard.jpeg (12.38 KiB) Viewed 270 times
In the end I couldn't resist buying this, as I really wanted the large and ironic tin! I don't have Colman's to compare it with but it's fine ground, not highly yellow-coloured, mixes to a paste very well (maybe very slightly textured but makes no difference when using as you don't eat it on its own) and has a fair kick, hitting the roof of the mouth hard as it should. As I say, I can't perform a taste comparison, but at the ridiculously low price you can slather it on for more heat.

Possibly it doesn't make the eyes water as Colman's or Masterfoods can, I can't really say, but in my opinion it's good.

Also, in the UK Daily Telegraph this week (partially quoted under news-reporting fair use law) on preprepared jarred mustard:

++
Has Colman’s lost its fire? The great mustard debate.

The first shots were fired by Tim Wilson of Bradfield in Berkshire. On March 5, he wrote in to ask if other readers had noticed that Colman’s “seems to have lost some of its fire”. He was worried that “perhaps as part of a diversity and inclusion drive,” Norfolk’s finest had “watered down the recipe to make the product accessible to those with a more delicate palate”. Colman’s has confirmed that there have been no recent changes to the recipe, although the company said in 2015 that it would be experimenting with milder variants, to appeal to a wider range of tastes.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-dr ... holegrain/
++

The article is interesting also for its delving into the ancient history of mustard across the world, if you're able to read it (first 3 months subscription for 1 pound in total, and can cancel any time as it's expensive after that).

I'd say it's quite possible that Colman's have changed their recipe in recent years to appeal to a wider consumer base. There is a swing particularly amongst the young towards spicy relishes and sauces (eg. Nando's Peri-Peri sauce and many others on supermarket shelves) and away from mustard.

"In 2022, Nando’s overtook Colman’s for total sauce sales, a remarkable ascent given that it only began selling them in 1999. Its success reflects a general trend for hot sauces and chilli and away from traditional condiments such as Colman’s."