Mayonaise

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
brianhuahin
Amateur
Amateur

Mayonaise

Post by brianhuahin »

Any one used an alternative to Hellmann's - Mayonnaise that I can buy from Macro. The issue is Thai Mayo is very sweet.

Regards
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Mayonaise

Post by Dannie Boy »

brianhuahin wrote:Any one used an alternative to Hellmann's - Mayonnaise that I can buy from Macro. The issue is Thai Mayo is very sweet.

Regards
Heinz in a plastic pouch, the best I have tasted here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

brianhuahin wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:02 am Any one used an alternative to Hellmann's - Mayonnaise that I can buy from Macro. The issue is Thai Mayo is very sweet.

Regards
We find this one nice and light but of course this is a personal choice each their own taste
Attachments
received_180524446637735.jpeg
(261.89 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm not into Mayo but the rest of my family are. they've been through several brands but for a while now, they've stuck to the 'Cheese flavoured mayonaise' from Makro. Made by Aro and sold in 1kg bags.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I agree. When Hellmann's isn't available, Kraft is a good replacement.

We need to do a blind taste test between the 3, Hellmans, Kraft and Heinz. Anyone with all 3 in the house give it a try, preferably with 3 testers as well to hopefully get a majority. :D
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

PeteC wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:26 am I agree. When Hellmann's isn't available, Kraft is a good replacement.

We need to do a blind taste test between the 3, Hellmans, Kraft and Heinz. Anyone with all 3 in the house give it a try, preferably with 3 testers as well to hopefully get a majority. :D
My wife prefers Kraft and I prefer Hellman's. Kraft is too sweet for me.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Heinz is definitely not sweet - to me it tastes very similar to what is available in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Kewpie Japanese Mayo is pretty damn good. It’s very rich because they only use the yolk of the egg in preparation. Be careful when buying. There are several variations and some are indeed sweet. The non-sweet version comes in a red cap. At Makro it may only come in a bag. I haven’t seen any bottled or jarred mayos there. I decided to switch it up and buy a bag of Best Foods mayo when I was there on Monday. It’s not sweet. Very rich, similar to Kewpie, but a tad more acidic.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

BEST FOODS MAYO is best.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Try making your own, my wife does and it beats any shop bought stuff hands down, then from there you can go on to make tartar sauce for your fish and chips. she uses a food mixer but can do with a hand whisk and a bit of muscle.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Geko wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:04 pm Try making your own, my wife does and it beats any shop bought stuff hands down, then from there you can go on to make tartar sauce

.... and aioli - yummy yummy
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Geko wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:04 pm Try making your own, my wife does and it beats any shop bought stuff hands down
Couldn't agree more - very easy and can make to taste (sweetness, flavour etc.). That said, when visiting Thailand, the closest to my taste in Mayo has been Heinz (Mayo, NOT Salad Cream :wink: ).

BTW, MIL and the LHG far prefer "homemade" and have done so on each and every visit to HH - simple and readily available ingredients.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Try this one. Quite nice. They normally have some in the chilled section in Gourmet Market, and I have seen it in Villa Market too. It is normally positioned together with the kaviar from the same brand.ImageImage

YNWA

YNWA