Thai Chana app

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Thai Chana app

Post by lindosfan1 »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:02 pm I have absolutely nothing to hide, but it's the covert way they are trying to gain the information. If they were up front, and asked first, I'd still be using Thai Chana. The fact they aren't up front in asking, sounds warning bells to me, so I won't play. I'd like to know why they can't just ask for access - if they want to see me go for a walk around Khao Tao Lake every day, they are most welcome. They will get fed up before I do. I'm sure they have better things to do.
If you are a criminal and they ask for access you would say no. If the want to know what i do they can, however it would be unlikely for them to look at where you have been unless you have a criminal record, or more useful in case of a crime being committed did you see anything.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

What covert way are they trying to get what information? The Thai Chana app requires only 2 things - a phone number when registering, and a scan of QR code on entering somewhere (and subsequent exit).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've explained several times already on this thread, and it was on more than one handset.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

You've mentioned it trying to download something but you don't know what, nevermind whether it's something malicious or not. OK, it's quite right not to trust something when you don't know what it's doing. But it's unfair to say it's covertly trying to do something because you don't understand.

Are you sure it's not a browser problem such as a hijack or malicious script? Have you tried it with a different browser? What information do you think it's trying to get? Have you tried using a browser such as duckduckgo browser (not the search engine) which can wipe cache and cookies every time it exits (which for Thai Chana would mean having to enter the/a phone number every time).

Alternatively install and use the app. It doesn't even use location permission so it can't track you like that.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I'm not going to mess about with the phone. It becomes tail wagging the dog, but I've always said it was unfit for purpose.

I also mentioned that after all of the more recent positive feedback on this forum, I did try it again last weekend, which was when I had to agree to a whole load of stuff, again before I could continue. Firstly I didn't have my reading glasses to see what it said, and secondly I was delaying people trying to enter the store - I opted for the pen option instead. After reading the link provided by PeteC it seems agreeing would not have been all that it seemed and the advice given was you shouldn't agree. The pen seems to be the easier option.

In my opinion, it is a terrible practice asking people to do things without first telling them the implications. To present this at a time when a person is under pressure with people waiting behind, is just as bad, trying to force the finger onto the accept button quickly.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:... <snip>

In my opinion, it is a terrible practice asking people to do things without first telling them the implications. To present this at a time when a person is under pressure with people waiting behind, is just as bad, trying to force the finger onto the accept button quickly.
If you download and open the app, at home, you can read all this stuff at leisure, without pressure. You can then see the implications. Then, you can either choose to use the app or uninstall it. You can also check what phone permissions it acquires. It actually only needs the camera permission (I denied location). You can register your phone number while at home, and it doesn't even need to be the number in your phone as long as the number you enter is near to hand to receive a SMS with a one time code needed to complete registration.

It would have been nice to see a screenshot of what you got, because I'd really like to know if they're up to something. But something tells me that if ISOC or Santibal wanted to track me they wouldn't be using a simple little app like Thai Chana.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK I've just gone into my phone's history (better than the crap movie I'm watching). The agreement isn't too daunting. but the last paragraph confuses me:
I certify that The information I provide is my personal information. This is true, accurate and up to date information.
What is that about? What information am I going to provide? I didn't think Thai Chana provided anything, other than checking my device into a location. As I'm scanning random QR Codes, how can I certify anything?
135822713_1276495129380346_3440039885535499618_n.jpg
(156.54 KiB) Downloaded 794 times

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Phone number.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Phone numbers are regularly sold to marketing companies in Thailand - I get cold calls several times a week and my list of blocked numbers is long.

Additionally, they're also registered now so linked to passport and ID details - which may contain physical addresses and other info.

Some may be at total ease with it all, but I personally do not trust this regime one inch. Especially with any potentially personal data and especially now that they're emulating China with internet controls and a cybercrime/censorship/surveillance division designed to monitor the population's online activities.

The phone stays in the car when I'm unfortunate enough to have to enter a shopping mall!

Edit: The AOT App is even more insidious as it turns on location and bluetooth by itself. :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's a round about way of saying it then.

Points 51; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:27 am That's a round about way of saying it then.
As you mentioned earlier, use the pen to sign in. Don't aggravate yourself. Any name, any number will do. The sign in sheets are supposed to be sent in to someone, somewhere but they aren't, so the name and number is irrelevant. If you're concerned about being notified of a virus carrier where you've been, use your phone to sign in.

As time goes on, more and more surveillance will take place. We'll be gone but our progeny will have to deal with it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That is correct. In the beginning of the Agreement and Consent they talk about phone number, which is quite specific; but the actual agreement paragraph talks about personal information, which is very vague and gives them authority for anything.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

But, you can stop using it when you think it's too much. Just like with your credit cards, banking apps, club memberships, etc. The phone itself is a bigger privacy risk than Thai Chana.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:04 pm But, you can stop using it when you think it's too much. Just like with your credit cards, banking apps, club memberships, etc. The phone itself is a bigger privacy risk than Thai Chana.

That's true, whatever is in your phone is available to every hacker who wants it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Exactly, but we can choose to secure our phones by not allowing untrusted apps and websites (or autocratic regimes) to access them!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson