Build Your Own PC/Desktop

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
pharvey

Build Your Own PC/Desktop

Post by pharvey »

Further to a thread by DM (All-In-One-PC), I've been looking at a new Desktop and a "Build-your-Own". Several years ago I did so through the Dell website, which suited what was required. I've had a look through various options and came across this website/company : - https://www.chillblast.com/home-office-pcs.

Far more detailed/options than Dell and brought home what little I know with regards to computers!! :oops:

Basically, I need something with a quick WiFi connection (Router downstairs, "office" upstairs), run the standard "Windows Office Programmes", run AutoCad (+ 3D), minimum 16GB RAM memory, minimum 500GB HDD/Solid State (?) - I would look at external drives (therefore multiple USB connections - Hi Speed). Widescreen Monitor/TV - required for AutoCad and I'd like to us as a TV (Smart connection possible? - I guess by separately).

My problem is all the additional "cards" and add-ons. I'm not after a "Gaming" machine, but an everyday "Office" machine that I'll also need for engineering (AutoCad etc.). Truly don't understand what Graphics Cards etc. are required - any and all help would be appreciated.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Re: Build Your Own PC/Desktop

Post by buksida »

I built my own one a couple of years ago using this site: https://www.jib.co.th/web/pcsetspec/main

I wanted something fast, gaming capable, and that would still be good hardware 5 years down the line. I consider a desktop my primary work tool which I rely on daily so the budget was 30k. Went for a Ryzen 5 2600 6 core, ASUS B450 gaming mobo, 16 GB Kingston DDR 4, and Radeon RX 570 4GB GPU.

You should start basing it around the CPU as the mainboard will depend on what processor you choose. For office applications an Intel i5 would be a good start, an i7 will give you more oomph.

Mainboard next and it looks like the Z390 chipset will go with that CPU. Asus, Gigabyte and MSI are all good brands. The memory you've already decided on as a minimum of 16 GB DDR4, Kingston and Corsair are good, a paired set is fine (and allows for the machine to continue running if one stick fails).

I would run your OS and apps on a SSD (250 should be enough space) and have an external drive to store your data and files. This way if (when) Windoze craps itself, you won't lose your data when you format and reinstall.

Graphics cards are not just for gaming so if you're doing graphics intensive work such as video editing or 3D CAD, you'll need a decent GPU. I would go with something like a Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB or similar (I prefer AMD cards as they overclock better). A dedicated graphics card will also allow you to connect multiple screens or a TV, onboard graphics won't.

Many people overlook the power supply on BYO PC, this can lead to problems. Get a decent PSU, minimum 650W, gold-rated ones are better - Thermaltake, Corsair and Coolermaster are good brands. You can calculate how much juice your box will pull here: http://www.powersupplycalculator.net/ Always add extra for externals such as USB devices.

Case and monitor are purely your own preference and will not affect the performance of the machine. If you're in a hot country make sure the case is loaded with fans. The above hardware also has no bearing on your internet connection/wifi speed, it is all down to the supplier!

If you want genuine software, prepare to keep your wallet open! You can get all the above with a brand named box, but expect to pay 20% extra for that logo on the case and a bunch of branded bloatware installed to slow you down!

This site has some good info: https://premiumbuilds.com/
And this one for the real hardware geeks: https://www.tomshardware.com/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Many thanks for the time and effort to reply in such detail buks. A great help and very much appreciated :thumb:

J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

If you’re still in God’s own country, pharvey, a good place to get PC bits at a keen price is Scan Computing. They used to offer build services, too, although I’m not sure what disruption Covid-19 has caused to that.

I built one with bits from them, thinking along similar lines to Buksi, back in 2017 and it’s still blistering quick today. Check out https://www.scan.co.uk/

If I can help in any way, being next door to God’s own country, pm me.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

J.J.B. wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:19 pm If you’re still in God’s own country, pharvey, a good place to get PC bits at a keen price is Scan Computing. They used to offer build services, too, although I’m not sure what disruption Covid-19 has caused to that.

I built one with bits from them, thinking along similar lines to Buksi, back in 2017 and it’s still blistering quick today. Check out https://www.scan.co.uk/

If I can help in any way, being next door to God’s own country, pm me.
Many thanks for that J.J.B. - I am indeed in God's Country and unlikely traveling anytime soon :roll:

Will certainly give these guys a look also.

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:13 pm I am indeed in God's Country and unlikely traveling anytime soon :roll:
Worry not, you'll soon be able to get the horse and cart out again. :D
This is the way
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I am indeed in God's Country and unlikely traveling anytime soon
Not sure where you guys are, but Australia is closed!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Post by Lost »

Does anyone have any experience with building their own computer as a complete beginner? I've heard it's becoming more popular now just wondered on the pros and cons (and problems encountered).

With the min specs I need for what I'd like to use the computer for (16/32gb ram, Intel i5/Ryzen 5 or above and a quality graphics card) it would save me quite a few hundred pounds to build it myself.

Any computer builders on the forum?
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Lost wrote:Does anyone have any experience with building their own computer as a complete beginner? I've heard it's becoming more popular now just wondered on the pros and cons (and problems encountered).

With the min specs I need for what I'd like to use the computer for (16/32gb ram, Intel i5/Ryzen 5 or above and a quality graphics card) it would save me quite a few hundred pounds to build it myself.

I have built many. Are you in Hua Hin?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Thailightzone wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:22 pm
Lost wrote:Does anyone have any experience with building their own computer as a complete beginner? I've heard it's becoming more popular now just wondered on the pros and cons (and problems encountered).

I have built many. Are you in Hua Hin?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Nah, I'm in England. Is it a quite straightforward process? Watched a few YouTube vids and researched a bit just wondering if there's any major dos or don'ts per se. Currently, getting hold of certain parts is a bit of a pain due to covid but once we're back up and running again I'm interested in maybe giving it a go.

:cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

There's a whole range of advice available on line for building your own pc, depending on your intended purpose. It's just a matter of investing time in doing some research.
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^^^

Well, yes. I think most folk are now aware of google. :wink:

Sometimes I just prefer to chat about stuff with people I'm 'familiar' with online. Hence I posted here.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, built hundreds of em over the years.

The advantage with BYO is that you can tailor it to exactly what you want and you're not paying a premium for a logo on a box. You may struggle getting a decent graphics card without forking out an arm and a leg at the moment (global shortage due to covid and crypto miners).

The process is pretty straightforward, you just need to be in a clean, static-free environment and take extra care when seating the CPU. Also make sure you have enough cooling fans for the case.

The rest is pretty much plug and play.

Edit: have moved this to the PC building thread.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 am Also make sure you have enough cooling fans for the case.
Never got around to doing it.... :oops: , BUT "cooling" always seemed to be the issue.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

buksida wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 am Yep, built hundreds of em over the years.

The advantage with BYO is that you can tailor it to exactly what you want and you're not paying a premium for a logo on a box. You may struggle getting a decent graphics card without forking out an arm and a leg at the moment (global shortage due to covid and crypto miners).

The process is pretty straightforward, you just need to be in a clean, static-free environment and take extra care when seating the CPU. Also make sure you have enough cooling fans for the case.

The rest is pretty much plug and play.

Edit: have moved this to the PC building thread.
Ta, very muchly. Must have missed this thread before. Hopefully supply issues sort themselves out sooner rather than later.