Upgrading Windows Operating System

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Upgrading Windows Operating System

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:55 pm Depends on what you're storing. SSDs are better for speed, which is why they're used for the OS, and standard drives are better for space.
Are you practicing to be a Politician, Buksi ? The question was related to what you posted. :twisted:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nereus wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:23 pm Are you practicing to be a Politician, Buksi ? The question was related to what you posted. :twisted:
I have no idea what that means mate.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Well, I'm back home with the new "Ferrari" computer. It's strange to have a clear perspex cover on the side facing me so I can stare into the innards of the thing.

I suppose I'll be on a learning curve now with Windows 10. Mr Don put the old HDD in so I had stuff to work off. Anything new will go onto the SSD. Despite my thinking that I'd fixed the HDD problem, he says that it's damaged so I need to make sure everything is backed up. I think it is.

I'll be downloading the latest Calibre program soon and then the acid test of whether it recognises the new Kindle. If that works, I've got loads of books to put on from my hard drive. Hours of hot, endless fun ahead for me. I've got a cold beer though!!

One disappointment is that all my bookmarks weren't transferred over so I'll have to build them up again. I guess most weren't really needed any more.

Oh, and I've decided to invest in a UPS. Mr Don will order it for me next week. 2,450 THB and should give me about 15 minutes of battery time which is plenty.

And one final thing - Mr Don remembers you Buks and says "hello".
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

lomuamart wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:05 pm I'll be downloading the latest Calibre program soon and then the acid test of whether it recognises the new Kindle.
There's no reason why it shouldn't, but having said that, this has happened to me - just use a different USB connecting cable, preferably the one that came with the kindle. (Google my pc doesn't recognize my kindle)
This is the way
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks, d-m. Everything is working fine.
buksida

Post by buksida »

lomuamart wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:05 pm
One disappointment is that all my bookmarks weren't transferred over so I'll have to build them up again. I guess most weren't really needed any more.
Depends on which browser you used, but in Chrome and Firefox you can save them all in your account, and just log in on another machine and they're all there, passwords and all.

I would seriously recommend backing up all the ebooks on a USB stick in case the Kindle fails.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

OK on the bookmarks front. I'll take a look at that some time but I'm building a new set up anyway. The forum, banking, newspapers etc. As I realise I normally look at xyz site in the course of a day, I bookmark it.

Point taken about the books. There is a file on the old hard drive - Calibre, as opposed to the program itself - that has all my downloaded material and that's backed up to an external drive now.

I don't know how it's going to pan out but Mr don seemed to be suggesting that bit by bit, I transfer data over from the old drive to the SSD. He told me that "you can do that". Little does he know!! I've got to see him in a couple of days so I'll ask again. And all the docs, music, pix are on the external drive now so I suppose I'm covered????

In the meantime, I'm on the last lap of getting all the books I've downloaded this year onto the Kindle. I've got one beer left and that should see me through nicely until opening time.

I'll probably have more questions as time goes by but so far, so good. I'm surprised.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Windows 10 is rumored to be getting a major redesign. Don't screw this up, Microsoft!

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/05/tech ... index.html

New York (CNN Business) Microsoft is rumored to be working on a major redesign of Windows 10 that could bring big changes to the way the PC operating system looks and functions.

Windows 10 could use a refresh. Aside from twice-annual tweaks, Windows 10 been mostly unchanged since its release in 2015. Six years is long in the tooth for any PC operating system, and a revolution is coming to personal computers that threatens Windows' standing as the dominant productivity operating system.

Still, Microsoft (MSFT) doesn't exactly have the best reputation for fixing operating systems that ain't broke. So a lot is riding on Microsoft's ability to turn the next iteration of Windows 10 into something hundreds of millions of computer owners will want to keep using.

What's in the refresh?

Microsoft updates Windows twice a year, usually adding a few welcome new features (a new screenshot tool, a cleaner Start Menu, etc.). This year's spring update will be another one of those minor updates that adds polish and squashes bugs.

But in the fall, Microsoft is expected to unleash a full-scale Windows 10 redesign. We know this for a few reasons.

Microsoft recently posted a job listing on its website that said the company is working on a "sweeping visual rejuvenation of Windows experiences to signal to our customers that Windows is BACK and ensure that Windows is considered the best user OS experience for customers," according to Windows Latest. The listing remains but the language has since been dialed back quite a bit.

Microsoft did not respond to a request for comment.

That job post confirmed widespread reports that Microsoft was working on a major Windows 10 user-inferface refresh codenamed "Sun Valley," in which Microsoft would release an all-new Start Menu, File Explorer, Action Center and taskbar. Tablet users will also reportedly get a redesigned virtual keyboard with better access to emojis. And Microsoft is expected to give all Windows 10 elements a makeover to align all of the recently tweaked elements of the operating system in a consistent design.

Why Windows needs a refresh

Most of Windows' recent tweaks have been aimed at specific audiences, particularly gamers and corporate customers. But the PC is back as a consumer staple -- the work-from-home era brought on by the coronavirus pandemic has made productivity cool again. Microsoft wants to ensure its new everyday users are enjoying the experience of using their PCs.

Microsoft is also looking ahead to a future it's attempting to prepare for: Apple's new M1 chip, which is essentially a custom-built smartphone microprocessor on steroids for Macs, represents a sea change for the PC industry.

Apple's new Mac OS Big Sur takes advantage of the new chip by integrating features people have grown accustomed to on their iPhones and iPads. The convergence of smartphones, tablets and PCs is underway.

Microsoft has its own hybrid device, the Surface Pro X, that runs on a chip with a similar architecture to Apple's (AAPL) M1. And it's coming out with Windows 10X this year, an operating system designed from the ground up for nontraditional devices (think foldables, tablets and other computers that don't look like normal laptops or desktops).

Still, this new kind of chip could disrupt the staid PC world, lighting a fire under Microsoft to redesign Windows for new kinds of PCs that it hasn't conceived of yet. So it's about time Windows 10 gets a major refresh.

Sad history of Windows updates

It doesn't appear as though the "Sun Valley" version of Windows 10 will be the kind of completely new experience of previous new iterations of Windows. That's probably a good thing, as Microsoft has a reputation for delivering a good operating system every other attempt:

Windows 3 was a huge hit. Windows 95 was a hit, but a buggy mess.

Windows 98 fixed all of 95's mistakes. But Windows Me might be the worst iteration of Windows ever.

Windows XP may be Microsoft's biggest-ever success. Windows Vista was a disaster.

Windows 7 was beloved for going back to basics. With Windows 8, people didn't even know how to get to the desktop.

Windows 10 has been a runaway success. So let's not screw this up, Microsoft.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks for posting that, everything working fine now so time to disable the automatic updates!
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

The only thing that messes up my W10 is the MS updates! The system is always a little slow for a few days after...

I honestly can't remember the last "feature" that was of any interest.

As always, I will have Revo Uninstaller waiting to remove as much crap as possible post-update (it can also remove MS Apps which is a bonus).
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I'm still using Win 7 with my 2012, Dell laptop. I turned off the updates years ago and have never had any problems. I also have an HP laptop with Win 10. Used it for about 3 months, hated it and went back to Win 7. All I do is email and internet searches, watch videos and listen to music. I don't need all the newest whatevers.

The HP is for sale. It's a 15". I don't know the specs, I'm an analogue person stuck in a digital world. I paid 16,000 BHT. Any reasonable offer takes it.
PET
Legend
Legend

Windows 10 manual

Post by PET »

I am stepping up by upgrading from 7 to 10 and would like to get the operating Manual.

Can I get one second hand or new, and for a hopeless computer user I see there are manuals Simplified (which looks good) or for Dummies or Seniors

Any advice very much appreciated
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I don't think such things are that common any longer, but there are countless websites with guides on installing and using Windows 10.

Here is Microsoft's own guide: https://wincomm-cdn-prod-westus.azureed ... -guide.pdf

If you want one of the Dummies books, it is downloadable for free here: https://sg1lib.org/book/2613873/f85162

If you want something made of paper, would suggest going to the local book store to have a rummage.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

OK Thanks
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.