Classic Sports Events

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Classic Sports Events

Post by pharvey »

Well, during this period we're pretty much stuffed on live sporting events, so what the hell, let's reminisce a little!!

As a proud Welshman with a love of rugby and a passion to beat our English neighbours in the sport, I'll start off with England vs Wales in 1976. After being brought up in South Africa, this would be my first real memory of the (then) 5 Nations when the family moved back to the UK.

Watching this again, brings back countless memories - when was the last time you saw a Second Row forward taking place kicks with a "Toe Punt"? The players - good God, too many class acts (from both sides) to mention. The game has changed big style, perhaps not all points for the better. Anyway enjoy - it's only highlights!! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Re: Classic Sports Events

Post by pharvey »

And then another childhood hero - incredible athlete... :bow:

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Both videos blocked
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:04 am Both videos blocked
Simply click the Watch on You Tube link.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

:cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It amazes me that the mainstream TV channels in the UK are not showing classic sporting encounters. There are so many that we would all love to see. 5 Nations, Test cricket, world cup football, rugby and cricket, Olympics, F1, FA Cup, etc.
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I guess I'm "old School" like you. I prefer my televisual experience to be on the TV, whereas it seems that the younger generation are content with You Tube or streaming channels on their tablets and smart phones.

One of the things I did find on my Smart tv was Smart View whereby your phone links up with the tv so anything I can't get via normal methods I can play it on the phone which in turn casts it on the tv and voila!!

PS..movie hint. Snickers bar :laugh: :laugh:

― George Carlin
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think you’ll find that the BBC will be showing “classic” Match of the Day highlights in the coming weeks - I suspect that as the pandemic persists, they will expand to further sports eg Wimbledon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:02 am It amazes me that the mainstream TV channels in the UK are not showing classic sporting encounters. There are so many that we would all love to see. 5 Nations, Test cricket, world cup football, rugby and cricket, Olympics, F1, FA Cup, etc.
:agree: Hopefully this will change in the near future....
sateeb wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:28 am I guess I'm "old School" like you. I prefer my televisual experience to be on the TV, whereas it seems that the younger generation are content with You Tube or streaming channels on their tablets and smart phones.

One of the things I did find on my Smart tv was Smart View whereby your phone links up with the tv so anything I can't get via normal methods I can play it on the phone which in turn casts it on the tv and voila!!
Would very much prefer to watch "big screen" myself... Have not managed to find the "Smart View" App - sounds spot on. What make of TV/Smart phone do you have?

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

pharvey wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:44 pm
dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:02 am It amazes me that the mainstream TV channels in the UK are not showing classic sporting encounters. There are so many that we would all love to see. 5 Nations, Test cricket, world cup football, rugby and cricket, Olympics, F1, FA Cup, etc.
:agree: Hopefully this will change in the near future....
sateeb wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:28 am I guess I'm "old School" like you. I prefer my televisual experience to be on the TV, whereas it seems that the younger generation are content with You Tube or streaming channels on their tablets and smart phones.

Would very much prefer to watch "big screen" myself... Have not managed to find the "Smart View" App - sounds spot on. What make of TV/Smart phone do you have?

[EDIT] Think I may have a "Chromcast" unit somewhere though which would do the same job from Youtube using the laptop.....

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Smart view was already installed in the drop down menu of my old Samsung J 7 but not on my newer A10.

― George Carlin
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:16 am Well, during this period we're pretty much stuffed on live sporting events, so what the hell, let's reminisce a little!!

As a proud Welshman with a love of rugby and a passion to beat our English neighbours in the sport, I'll start off with England vs Wales in 1976. After being brought up in South Africa, this would be my first real memory of the (then) 5 Nations when the family moved back to the UK.

Watching this again, brings back countless memories - when was the last time you saw a Second Row forward taking place kicks with a "Toe Punt"? The players - good God, too many class acts (from both sides) to mention. The game has changed big style, perhaps not all points for the better. Anyway enjoy - it's only highlights!! :thumb:

Ah yes, you can't beat a good w reminisce...

In Jan 1976 I'd just arrived in France for the year. I may have mentioned this before, and given half a chance I'll definitely mention it again, but 2 years earlier Gerald Davis was a teacher at my school when playing for London Welsh and occasionally took training sessions. He also made a couple of guest appearances in the Masters v. Boys games. That was a revelation!

Too many great names to single out one or two, but that 70s Welsh team was an all-time classic!

2nd row kickers. Don't remember the Welshman, but I do remember the Scottish lock who was their regular place kicker. Can't remember his name without googling, can you?
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I remember in the mid 80's visiting my then wife's(#1) aunty in Radyr, S Wales. I was lucky enough to play a round of golf at Radyr GC. I seem to recall that it was mentioned that the steward at the time was an ex Welsh International. Can't remember his name but he was about as tall as Everest and bald as a coot. :laugh:

― George Carlin
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:15 pm
Ah yes, you can't beat a good w reminisce...

In Jan 1976 I'd just arrived in France for the year. I may have mentioned this before, and given half a chance I'll definitely mention it again, but 2 years earlier Gerald Davis was a teacher at my school when playing for London Welsh and occasionally took training sessions. He also made a couple of guest appearances in the Masters v. Boys games. That was a revelation!

Too many great names to single out one or two, but that 70s Welsh team was an all-time classic!

2nd row kickers. Don't remember the Welshman, but I do remember the Scottish lock who was their regular place kicker. Can't remember his name without googling, can you?
One of my early memories of rugby was seeing Aberavon vs London Welsh and Gerald Davies beating 3 or 4 defenders literally within a metre of the touchline - incredible talent. London Welsh had some star players in those days - and you had to be welsh to play for them back then.....

2nd Row kickers - Alan Martin was the Welsh 2nd row, can't think of the Scottish 2nd row, but John Eales also used to kick for Australia - remember him kicking a drop goal from some 50 odd meters.

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Peter Brown was the Scottish player. He stands out in my memory because I remember thinking how uncoordinated he looked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Brown_(rugby_union)

In this clip he scores a try and kicks 2 conversions.

This is the way