Odd Words in the English Language

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Odd Words in the English Language

Post by lindosfan1 »

huahinjim. Being pedantic, fortnight describe nights therefore the days before and after would not be included.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Actually, you're quite correct. For 2 weeks, the french would say quinze jours (15 days) but of course the direct translation of 'fourteen nights' would be quatorze nuits
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

For those who remember the programme, Call my bluff, the only word I actually knew for sure was "orts". Big Boy might know the answer.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:13 am One that has faded and even when it was used it was quite Northern. YONDER --- you said "over there" if it was something close but "Over yonder" if it was some distance away.
Not heard that one for a while!! Some other "Northern Words" from many moons ago working on site in Yorkshire and geared to measurement: -

"Twaddle" (Density), "Chain" (Length).... Had me scratching my head at the time!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

arcadianagain wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:22 pm For those who remember the programme, Call my bluff, the only word I actually knew for sure was "orts". Big Boy might know the answer.
"Scraps" in my book..... :thumb:
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Rod, roods, poles and perches are more old measurements.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:01 pm Rod, roods, poles and perches are more old measurements.
Seem to remember a "Rod" - 5 odd meters? Can't say I can remember "Poles" or "Perches" though (apart from our European friends and things birds rest on)!!

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That prompted me to look at olde English measurements.

Poppyseed
​1⁄4 or ​1⁄5 of a barleycorn[7]
Line
​1⁄4 of a barleycorn[8]
Barleycorn
​1⁄3 of an inch, the notional base unit under the Composition of Yards and Perches.
Digit
​3⁄4 inch
Finger
​7⁄8 inch
Inch
3 barleycorns (the historical legal definition)
Nail
3 digits = ​2 1⁄4 inches = ​1⁄16 yard
Palm
3 inches
Hand
4 inches
Shaftment
Width of the hand and outstretched thumb, ​6 1⁄2 inches before 1066, 6 thereafter
Link
7.92 inches or one 100th of a chain.[9]
Span
Width of the outstretched hand, from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger, 3 palms = 9 inches.
Foot
Prior to the Anglo-Saxon invasions, the Roman foot of 11.65 inches (296 mm) was used. The Anglo-Saxons introduced a North-German foot of 13.2 inches (335 mm), divided into 4 palms or 12 thumbs, while the Roman foot continued to be used in the construction crafts. In the late 13th century, the modern foot of 304.8 mm was introduced, equal to exactly ​10⁄11 Anglo-Saxon foot.
Cubit
From fingertips to elbow, 18 inches.
Yard (= Ulna)
3 feet = 36 inches, the practical base unit as the length of the prototype bar held by the Crown or Exchequer.
Ell
From fingertip of outstretched arm to opposite shoulder, 20 nails = ​1 1⁄4 yard or 45 inches. Mostly for measuring cloth.
Fathom
Distance between arms outstretched, from fingertip to fingertip, equalling 6 feet.
Rod (= perch) (= pole)
Used for surveying land and in architecture. The rod is the same length today as in Anglo-Saxon times, although its composition in terms of feet were changed by the Composition of Yards and Perches from 15 feet to ​16 1⁄2. The pole is commonly used as a measurement for Allotment Gardens. (See also perch as an area and a volume unit.)
Chain
four linear rods. Named after the length of surveyor's chain used to measure distances until quite recently. Any of several actual chains used for land surveying and divided in links. Gunter's chain, introduced in the 17th century, is 66 feet.
Furlong (= stade)
Notionally the distance a plough team could furrow without rest, but actually a measure of 40 rods or 600 feet prior to the Composition of Yards and Perches and 40 rods or 660 feet afterwards.
Mile
Originally the Roman mile alternatively reckoned as 5000 feet, 1000 paces, or 8 stades but adjusted to 5280 feet in 1593 to account for the differences introduced to these methods of reckoning by the Composition of Yards and Perches.
League
Notionally an hour's travel, but usually reckoned as three miles. Approximate length of the traditional "mile" in German and Scandinavian countries.

SHAFTMENT - great word.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Chain - very important in cricket.
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinjim »

HHTel wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:42 pm Actually, you're quite correct. For 2 weeks, the french would say quinze jours (15 days) but of course the direct translation of 'fourteen nights' would be quatorze nuits
Yes of course HHTel. But as with many words / expressions there is not always a direct translation from one country's usage to another's. Same same but different. Now more importantly are the bars closed for a fortnight or 14 days? :cheers:

Back to topic - -I am still trying to understand all those Olde English measurements. Wonder how long that will take?!! :banghead:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

hhinner wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:06 pm Chain - very important in cricket.
Absolutely! Bizarre measurement - 22 yards from memory?

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

pharvey wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 pm
hhinner wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:06 pm Chain - very important in cricket.
Absolutely! Bizarre measurement - 22 yards from memory?

[EDIT] Sorry missed it in HHTel's post above.... The length of a cricket wicket
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

pharvey wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:57 pm
arcadianagain wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:22 pm For those who remember the programme, Call my bluff, the only word I actually knew for sure was "orts". Big Boy might know the answer.
"Scraps" in my book..... :thumb:
Pretty much, Pharvey, more precisely leftover food which can be made into another meal.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

"Leftovers" in our family, which were often turned into bubble and squeak, one of my favourites that I still make today. (In fact, I often create leftovers specially for that purpose! :mrgreen: )
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Yes, Monday’s staple after the traditional Sunday Roast!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk