Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
PET
Legend
Legend

Re: Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Post by PET »

MODS I do not know where to put this important information which has just been told to me by my wife.

There has been a Govt statement to the effect that tourists/visitors who want to stay for 3/6 months will be allowed from the October ( she thinks 1st)
They will need to evidence that they have accommodation booked for 3/6 months
They will need to go into 2 weeks isolation, I believe the cheapest is about Bht24,000, which includes covid test and bed + meals
They will need to pay bht2,000 for a 3 month visa
If they wish to extend a further 3 months they will need another Bht2000 visa
That is all the info I have but it will help loads of people

I shall be interested if others can confirm this or add to it
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^
Cabinet approves long-term tourist visas

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... rist-visas

The cabinet on Tuesday agreed to allow in foreign tourists who agree to 14-day quarantine and stay for at least 90 days, to help the flagging economy.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said after the cabinet meeting that the government would issue special tourist visas for long-stay visitors. The most important condition would be a 14-day quarantine.

"Visitors can arrive for tourism or health services, and they can stay at alternative state quarantine facilities, specific areas or at hospitals that function as quarantine facilities," he said.

"Our public health system is amongst the best in the world and people can have confidence in it."

The prime minister said the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration would later elaborate on the matter.

Deputy government spokeswoman Traisulee Traisaranakul said long-stay visitors would have to present proof of payment for their long stay in the country. This could be payment for a hotel reservation, or the lease of a condominium room.

"The target is to welcome 100-300 visitors a week, or up to 1,200 people a month, and generate income of about 1 billion baht a month," she said.

The 90-day special tourist visa could be extended twice, for 90 days each time. Long-stay visitors could begin arriving next month, Ms Traisulee said.

Prasong Poontaneat, finance permanent secretary, said the country needed to generate income from visitors, especially those from the countries where coronavirus disease had not been spreading in past months - such as China, Taiwan and some counries in Europe.

Twenty Chinese provinces were free of Covid-19 and had a combined population of around 800 million. If only one percent of them, about 8 million people, visited Thailand they could support the tourism sector, he said.

Indeed. Hire extra security to prevent buffet looting. :roll:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I can't see that doing anything for Chinese tourists. The average stay in Thailand for a Chinese tourist is one week. It's unlikely they'll find tourists from China under these terms.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:58 pm I can't see that doing anything for Chinese tourists. The average stay in Thailand for a Chinese tourist is one week. It's unlikely they'll find tourists from China under these terms.
Yes, I agree. It's been stated in the press many times that Thailand is the top pick for the less experienced Chinese traveler who doesn't mind tour groups and tour style hotels. This is why the uproar from restaurants and hotels concerning behaviour. They don't know any better from experience. These type of travelers are indeed 1-2 week tourists at the most.

They're going to get the higher tier people in places like Phuket, who may be able to do a longer stay, but not in the numbers they're talking about.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

What happened to the scheme (scam) to bring in IT manufacturing and create a "Silicon" Valley? Everything here is a scheme. Manufacturing would do more to improve the economy, on a regular basis, than relying on tourists. Of course, there would have to be a trained workforce but even monkeys, which are in abundance here, could be trained to do it. I mean, if they can run the government, they can operate a machine.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

China, like many Countries, is warning against all unnecessary travel. I doubt too many Chinese will be prepared to cross their Govt. unless they have a change of heart.

I think we should wait for all the details first. It looks like they are looking for very limited numbers. Flights won't be cheap and in Phuket, the hotels selected for participation were all 5 star. Cost, plus cost, plus cost.
Talk is cheap
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Don't think 1200 tourists per month is going to add up to 8 million in a year.
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhinner wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:20 pm Don't think 1200 tourists per month is going to add up to 8 million in a year.
It will if you work for TAT.

As an aside I've noticed the 90 day online reporting system starting to fail more frequently, indicating it is getting overloaded this month with everyone trying to do it at the same time. Their solution: "go to the immigration office". :banghead:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I am hopeful that this new 90 day visa will somehow be a "crack in the door" that will make it possible for me, and others, to make a holiday type return to Thailand. I probably would not try to live there again on a full time basis as I did for some 15 years. The conditions that are now attached to this visa I would have no desire to try to tackle but perhaps over time (one year? two years?) they might drop away and then I would be pleased to give it a go.
I need some som tom!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I need some som tom!

Recipes on You Tube.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:08 pm I need some som tom!

Recipes on You Tube.
Yes, I'm probably the worlds most inexperienced cook but have recently started to try cooking Thai dishes after coming to the conclusion that I wasn't going to be seeing the real thing again this year!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:23 pm
handdrummer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:08 pm I need some som tom!

Recipes on You Tube.
Yes, I'm probably the worlds most inexperienced cook but have recently started to try cooking Thai dishes after coming to the conclusion that I wasn't going to be seeing the real thing again this year!
Good. Just follow the directions, measure accurately and you'll be fine. If you can't get a particular ingredient look for a substitute. It quite satisfying to cook something new that tastes good.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

No thanks - I want som tom from a particular place on Soi 88 in Hua Hin. I could not get the proper papaya anyway.

We'll just have to see what happens over the next year or two as to whether a return might be possible without all the hoops to jump through. I do expect that insurance requirement to hang around no matter what. Indeed, I expect all extensions to require it no matter what to included insurance that is issued by a Thai company being the only type that will be accepted. Time will tell . . .
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Whatever it takes to exorcise contro,l will be done. Small minds are always grasping for control. "Some people have a lot of knives and forks and they've got to cut something." B. Dylan
buksida

Post by buksida »

:offtopic: visa extensions during Covid please, not Som Tam or Bob Dylan.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson