Flying to/from Thailand (Covid Era)

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
buksida

Flying to/from Thailand (Covid Era)

Post by buksida »

I flew into Thailand yesterday on what was one of the last Bangkok bound planes out of Kathmandu. Nepal has been largely unaffected so it remains on the safe list for now.

Upon check in we were ordered to download a Thai Airports AOT tracking app and complete a T8 form online. All inbound travelers needed to do this regardless of nationality or country of debarkation.

Needless to say this was an arduous procedure, the app is over 100Mb and took 20 minutes to download on airport wifi. The app insisted on turning on location (GPS) and bluetooth before it proceeded.

Then there was a complex registration process with menus that simply did not function on modern smartphones (two of us tried it). After that you get to the T8 section where it asks pretty much the same questions as the arrival card plus something about showing any symptoms which nobody in their right mind will admit to. Upon completion, which took over an hour for two of us, the app said this must be presented at immigration on arrival.

The plane (Thai Lion Air) was delayed as usual even though there were only about 30 passengers on the 737-900.

We landed in Don Meuang at about 8pm last night. The first thing was a walk past what I imagine was a thermal imaging camera to detect body temperatures, it was manned by two teenage girls playing with their phones. Popping a Tiffy pill before landing would have dropped anyone's body temp a degree or so if it was high.

Immigration was empty as expected but they still expect you to do the biometric finger scan which a thousand other people have touched, and offered no hand sanitation facilities (I had some with me). The immigration officer was an angry middle aged woman that literally threw my passport back at me after stamping it when she realised I had a non-imm visa. No mention of the AOT app, or where we'd come from, or quarantine procedures, and certainly no Thai smiles - it was all frowns and scowls at the white devils.

There was nobody in customs at all, which was lucky as I had three bottles of rum in the bag. The arrivals area was a ghost town, I grabbed a taxi, disabling the phone before we hit the first set of traffic lights.

It was the easiest and fastest airport process I've ever done.

This article states that things may get tougher from the weekend and health insurance is required for several nations including the US, UK, Switzerland, Sweden, Japan, Iran, South Korea, China, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark and Norway.
"This will mean that from Saturday, anyone boarding these flights must present to their airline confirmation of health insurance specifically covering the Covid 19 infection for up to $100,000 in addition to the appropriate medical certificate.

From Sunday, all travellers, regardless of where the flight departs, will be required to provide a medical certificate issued within 72 hours stating that they are healthy and specifically free from the virus. The health insurance requirement also applies."
https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news- ... countries/

Now embarking on my two weeks quarantine with several bottles of rum and a bunch of new games for the Xbox!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Flying into Thailand, latest updates

Post by Ginjaninja »

buksida wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:24 am I flew into Thailand yesterday on what was one of the last Bangkok bound planes out of Kathmandu.
Did you have to cut short your trip to make the last flight?
GN.
buksida

Post by buksida »

No, the airline rescheduled and we actually got an extra day. Were due to fly back on the 17th.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

That's good!
Awaiting your trip report. You've had a few hours to work on it now. What's the hold-up?
:duck:
buksida

Post by buksida »

The hold up ... over a thousand photos to edit and 15 hours of Gopro footage, no fear TR inbound ...
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

A friend of mine who has lived here for 20 years and is now 70+ managed to get a flight change to arrive back from the UK in time to avoid the new rules. I don't believe he has a smart phone. His wife does.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

PRAYUT ORDERS ALL TRAVELERS TO PRESENT VIRUS CERTIFICATE
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday said travelers, whether they are Thais or foreigners, must present their health certificates before boarding planes to Thailand, regardless of their flight origins.

In an escalation of an already confusing guideline, which initially required arrivals from four high-risk countries to have medical certificates, PM Prayut said after a meeting with health officials today that the measure is now applied to travelers from all countries – a policy slammed as impractical by many.

“We are preventing the virus from entering into the country. That’s why we require everyone entering into Thailand to present their health certificates and insurance policies,” Prayut said. “This measure had been applied to travelers from four countries and two territories, but we now extended it to every country.”

He did not specify when or how the measure will be implemented. Physicians in many countries – including Thailand – generally do not provide coronavirus tests to those who do not show symptoms associated with the virus.

Asked whether the new measure would effectively close Thai borders, Prayut responded with temper and said he did not imply it that way.

“Why do I have to translate my words into Thai again?,” Prayut told reporters. “I just mentioned that foreigners entering into Thailand must present their health certificates.”

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... rtificate/
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday said travelers, whether they are Thais or foreigners, must present their health certificates before boarding planes to Thailand, regardless of their flight origins.
Prayut responded with temper
“I just mentioned that foreigners entering into Thailand must present their health certificates.”
Not the first time he's lost his rag.

Plus of course, it's unworkable, impossible to comply with, etc etc.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Exactly, the bureaucrats can spout all they like, but one transit through the airport tells a completely different story - the staff on the ground simply don't want to be there and don't give a rats about all these ever shifting new requirements from generals in plush offices.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:10 am The hold up ... over a thousand photos to edit and 15 hours of Gopro footage, no fear TR inbound ...
And not forgetting, 3 bottles of rum :laugh:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Glad you made it in, I'm not real hopeful about my April 27th return. Perhaps thing will calm down by then, but doubt it.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You're lucky your trip wasn't a week later or you may not have gotten home.

Thai Lion Air suspending operations

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... operations
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Off Topic posts moved to FOO.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

If anyone comes back into Thailand could they post their experience please. I'm scheduled to arrive April 27 but may try to get back earlier. Getting a medical certificate here in California is tough so wondering how much a non english speaker will examine those

Thanks
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I suppose it might be like visa stuff in as much as the onus will be put on the airlines.

So, it's not so much whether you'll be allowed in but more likely that you won't be allowed to board.