Flying to/from Thailand (Covid Era)

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
pharvey

Re: Flying into Thailand, latest updates

Post by pharvey »

lomuamart wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 pm I suppose it might be like visa stuff in as much as the onus will be put on the airlines.

So, it's not so much whether you'll be allowed in but more likely that you won't be allowed to board.
I'd certainly agree there. I would also assume that zero refund would be provided.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I think it's been reported that even Thai students stuck in UK are finding the certificates to be a problem.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

My wife said the embassy in London was issuing them, not sure how that works.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:08 pm
lomuamart wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 pm I suppose it might be like visa stuff in as much as the onus will be put on the airlines.

So, it's not so much whether you'll be allowed in but more likely that you won't be allowed to board.
I'd certainly agree there. I would also assume that zero refund would be provided.
The airlines here in the states have been real good about refunds, even on nonrefundable flights. All you need to do is ask.

If it's checked at the airlines I'm OK with that, I just don't want to be at immigration in Thailand and them saying the cert is wrong and I can't come in.

I did find a doctor here that said they would issue a letter saying I do not have any of the symptoms. She explained she has limited test kits and needs them for people with symptoms. Not sure if that's good enough.

Now if she would give me some blank forms............. :twisted:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

migrant wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:00 am Now if she would give me some blank forms............. :twisted:
Have you checked Ebay?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm sure I read somewhere on here that the Thai embassy or consulate in the UK was issuing "fit-to-fly" certificates. Based on what, I have no idea. Can't find it now.
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Only for returning Thai nationals but even that is proving impossible.
Thai nationals seeking to fly home must present a “fit-to-fly” health certificate and a certifying letter from a Thai embassy, Thai consulate office or the Thai Foreign Ministry. But while Thais only need the fit-to-fly certificate and not the Covid-19-free certificate to board, many are finding it difficult to meet even that requirement, especially in Europe. The Thai embassy in London’s Facebook page has received over 1200 comments, mostly complaints and pleas for help.

A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry admits that health certificates are unavailable in many European countries and that the issue has been raised at a meeting of state agencies. He says embassies will be in touch to provide help to Thai travellers. It remains unclear what kind of help can be offered, since health services are already overwhelmed.

A Thai diplomat in Europe, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Bangkok Post…

“With measures like this, many Thais will be stranded abroad. In many countries in Europe, medical appointments must be made in advance. For private clinics, also, the patients must be referred by a doctor in a hospital.”

“In this situation, where doctors are busy dealing with Covid-19, nobody will accept appointments for medical check-ups.”
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:22 am
migrant wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:00 am Now if she would give me some blank forms............. :twisted:
Have you checked Ebay?
There are some out there in various places, plus I have a few doctor clients.

That's why I'm curious if anyone has presented one, and what scrutiny was given it. I would do the local doctor if that cert would work.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

migrant wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:49 am
pharvey wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:22 am
Have you checked Ebay?
There are some out there in various places, plus I have a few doctor clients.

That's why I'm curious if anyone has presented one, and what scrutiny was given it. I would do the local doctor if that cert would work.
Mean't to say I would use her service (she was cute though)
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yeah, thats how I experienced it - it was the airline making sure we had downloaded the tracking app, once we got to Thailand nobody gave a hoot so it was deleted pretty sharpish.

They'll be the ones checking the health insurance and Covid cert when it comes into force too.

More airline cancellations as options dry up for stranded visitors
It is becoming increasingly difficult to fly in an out of Thailand, posing more challenges for stranded foreign visitors and tourists. Last week the Thai government estimated there were some 500,000 overseas visitors currently in Thailand.

Some of the latest cancellations from local carriers…

• Budget airline VietJet suspended its flights to major Southeast Asian destinations, out of Vietnam, including Thailand from last Friday. They are still taking bookings and flying domestic routes within Thailand.

• Bangkok Airways is temporarily suspending all international flights from today (Sunday) until further notice.

BA earlier suspended many services to destinations in Thailand including Koh Samui, virtually cutting off Samui from all air traffic. Suspensions are now extended to destinations across its network serving Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.

• Thai AirAsia is suspend all international flight services in accordance with travel restrictions being enforced by various governments. The suspension will affect all international services operated by Thai AirAsia (FD) from today up to April 25. All domestic flights and services are still in operation.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/more ... d-visitors
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Getting back to Thailand

Post by migrant »

(Mods, if the wrong area please move)

OK, I was scheduled to return to Thailand from the states April 27, well we all know at this time that is out. I could wait it out here in So California eating good (take out) Mexican food but would like to get back. Mrs M didn't go this year and she (surprisingly) wants me to hurry home.

The airlines are offering free reticketing one time so I am thinking the best options, I came up with 2 and like #2

1) Reticket for early May. This assumes that the crisis is such that the April 30 deadline of closed borders is over, but if extended I'd be screwed again.

2) Reticket late April for an adjoining (open border) country. That way I could do a quick hop once the borders open. If still in the US I have the concern that the border will be opened, then reclosed if the virus starts coming back (like some areas in China) and with the distance from the US I would be stuck again.

So my fellow forum members I am looking at suggestions as to where to go to wait since I like option 2, but am open to any other suggestions. I am watching the news here to see what countries near Thailand are closing their borders, but you guys are closer so may have better info.

samman
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Getting back to Thailand

Post by samman »

Seriously? Stay put.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nothing is going to change by the end of April and probably not for several months after that, unless this virus simply disappears.

I too would say just stay where you are until border issues and policies become more clear. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The only sensible advice is to do what Samman and PeteC have suggested - stay where you are where there is reasonable certainty - anything else is a leap in the dark.

In fact I doubt that any other country would accept you at the moment!!
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

buksida wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:24 amUpon check in we were ordered to download a Thai Airports AOT tracking app and complete a T8 form online.
Does anyone know how they handle people with no smartphone or otherwise unable to download the app?