Effects of Covid-19 on Education Worldwide

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Effects of Covid-19 on Education Worldwide

Post by handdrummer »

It's happening at all levels. My daughter is doing a PhD. and all her classes are online. At least she can have classes but without interaction, it's very stilted.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Yup, all levels of education are being cruelly disrupted with no thought for the students. Just ridiculous knee-jerk reactions that will effect the students for their lifetimes.

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^^ OH, the drama!! Somehow I think they will be just fine.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

centermid7 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 pm ^^ OH, the drama!! Somehow I think they will be just fine.
No. It's not something to belittle or be sarcastic about. They've had significant years of their education fked. They've had wave after wave of covid shite rammed down their throats. They've missed years of important social development at important ages.

All for no good reason. Your response suggests you're just another one who couldn't give a monkeys about the unnecessary disruption to young kids/young adults lives.

Sorry, winds me up.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^^ OH, the lament! The kids will be fine. Not so sure about you.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

centermid7 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:27 am ^^ OH, the lament! The kids will be fine. Not so sure about you.
I'm speaking as someone in the education sector. Someone who has written academic essays on this very topic. Someone who has pained through at least a hundred hours of research so far on the topic of school disruptions and the horrifying figures/consequences involved. Someone who has genuine concern and sympathy for what these students have had taken from them.

From what position is your witty sarcasm coming from?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well, aren't you the clever one.
I'm not commenting on what others are saying, but just to respond to your comment, Lost, when it comes to education, anyone speaking as a parent outranks anything a so-called academic may say.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Regarding the education of children, there’s little doubt that the vast majority of children have been quite badly affected by the disruption from Covid over the past two years. However, you can’t blame all of that on the respective governments around the world - it was an almost impossible task to try to manage, some clearly did better than others but the facts are that many, many teaching staff caught Covid and/or were forced to isolate through family connections. Children, although at low risks personally, they could be carriers of Covid and take it home to their families - to suggest that Governments are singularly to blame is totally wrong - some (and Thailand is definitely one of them) have very much over-reacted and prolonged the problems much longer than was necessary.

As to children being “fine” - yes they are resilient , but no amount of resilience will make up for two years loss of education, so whilst they will no doubt survive, I don’t think they’ll be fine!!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Seconded
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:47 am Regarding the education of children, there’s little doubt that the vast majority of children have been quite badly affected by the disruption from Covid over the past two years. However, you can’t blame all of that on the respective governments around the world - it was an almost impossible task to try to manage, some clearly did better than others but the facts are that many, many teaching staff caught Covid and/or were forced to isolate through family connections. Children, although at low risks personally, they could be carriers of Covid and take it home to their families - to suggest that Governments are singularly to blame is totally wrong - some (and Thailand is definitely one of them) have very much over-reacted and prolonged the problems much longer than was necessary.

As to children being “fine” - yes they are resilient , but no amount of resilience will make up for two years loss of education, so whilst they will no doubt survive, I don’t think they’ll be fine!!
I should have added that Trade Unions were by and large against the return of teachers to school this time last year, so they should shoulder some of the responsibility too.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

L . . . . come on down off that cross. We need the wood.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:26 am Well, aren't you the clever one.
Nothing about being clever and if making a snide comment was your first thought after my post, it says more about you than me. Anyone can do the research if they've access to the peer reviewed studies. Not about intelligence, I was simply just highlighting that I have done the research so fully understand the seriousness of the situation. But...

Snide comments and sarcasm. What a lovely bunch.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:09 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:47 am Regarding the education of children, there’s little doubt that the vast majority of children have been quite badly affected by the disruption from Covid over the past two years. However, you can’t blame all of that on the respective governments around the world - it was an almost impossible task to try to manage, some clearly did better than others but the facts are that many, many teaching staff caught Covid and/or were forced to isolate through family connections. Children, although at low risks personally, they could be carriers of Covid and take it home to their families - to suggest that Governments are singularly to blame is totally wrong - some (and Thailand is definitely one of them) have very much over-reacted and prolonged the problems much longer than was necessary.

I should have added that Trade Unions were by and large against the return of teachers to school this time last year, so they should shoulder some of the responsibility too.
Good post and I agree with pretty much all of what you've said. It was always going to be a challenge and the government did have a pretty impossible task. The initial closures were, I guess, a needed move given the uncertainty of the situation. Any other closures, restrictions, rules made after the initial closure, I completely disagree with in every way. Thailand in particular went full blown moron with their decisions. I pity those that haven't spent these past 2 years homeschooling their kids (if they're younger) on top of whatever schooling they managed to squeeze out of the education system. Actually, not 'pity'. If you haven't been spending 2-4 hrs teaching your kids everyday, (during closures/remote learning) that's stupidity.

Regarding the unions Dannie Boy, they are one of the biggest problems in the education sector in England. Recently we had teacher walkouts/protests fueled by the union. Kids missed a week of inclass learning as the teachers were out doing their best activist impressions.

The reason? Surely the teachers had a good reason given the amount of class kids have lost already? Must be serious to think they should lose more class over it...

They no longer wanted teacher observations anymore. They didn't want to be assessed on their teaching ability nor did they wish for constructive criticism to improve their game.

Didn't teach the kids for a week, some of them. Class cancelled. :cuss:

:cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

centermid7 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:23 am L . . . . come on down off that cross. We need the wood.
Dude, you can leave me alone now. Grow up.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Couple of questions Lost.

Are you employed as a teacher right now?

Are you a parent?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.