Effects of Covid-19 on Education Worldwide

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Effects of Covid-19 on Education Worldwide

Post by HHTel »

So what is it? The Bangkok Post says that 1 in 7 teens suffer from mental illness due to lockdowns. While the Nation says that missing children is due to family 'problems'.
I'd go along with BB's explanation in that many are creating an income for their family.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The "mental illness problems" that are listed are common to all teens at some point in their teenage years. The majority of the children grow out of them when they begin to experience some success in their lives. Usually, graduating is the first step on the way to success in life.

Thailand really needs to look into what children are being taught. Confucious died a long time ago and obedience and memorization have their limits.

Private schools do a decent job but the public schools leave a lot to be desired.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:22 pm Why am I not surprised? Many have little jobs now, and don't have time for school. Family need their income.

120,000 children missing from class after Covid

The reopening of schools in Thailand last week revealed a huge number of children missing from class.
I doubt they're missing much - with all the holidays and days off they have here, school attendance is pretty abysmal under normal conditions. I'd say they'll learn more living and working in the real world than any state school here will teach them as they simply drum in obedience, kowtowing, and how to be a good soldier. It's sadder that they, especially teens, have lost more than two crucial years of their lives being locked down by a regime that simply wants to quash dissent.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

With the announcement expected to declare Covid as endemic you would expect like other countries to treat it as such. In the UK if a pupil is tested positive, they are 'advised' to stay at home for 3 days.

In Thai schools it's still being treated as being serious. Somtawin School has closed because one student tested positive.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:24 pm With the announcement expected to declare Covid as endemic you would expect like other countries to treat it as such. In the UK if a pupil is tested positive, they are 'advised' to stay at home for 3 days.

In Thai schools it's still being treated as being serious. Somtawin School has closed because one student tested positive.
The international schools here that I'm familiar with have been operating close to the above UK model since after the Christmas break. A list is published daily by school year with quantity of positive cases and high risk cases, and names of any staff positive or high risk. Positive cases out until test negative, high risk I think out for 3 days and test negative. This is exactly what the Thai gov has told them to do so no idea why Thai schools are operating differently.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

.....add to the above. ATK testing has now gone from 3 times a week to one time a week, on Sunday to be submitted electronically (test device photo with name and date) before 1800 hours. Once again, a Thai gov instruction.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source