Sports affected by Coronavirus

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
PeteC

Re: Sports affected by Coronavirus

Post by PeteC »

The recent post about the FI Silverstone squabble reminds me about how hollow all this feels. All sports, not just F1. Maybe my mood will change once things begin to happen again, but honestly I couldn't give a toss at the moment. More important things like people's lives and general well being of the world comes to mind.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:49 pm The recent post about the FI Silverstone squabble reminds me about how hollow all this feels. All sports, not just F1. Maybe my mood will change once things begin to happen again, but honestly I couldn't give a toss at the moment. More important things like people's lives and general well being of the world comes to mind.
Yes, exactly! And one of the worst offenders is the thick headed, self centered Rugby followers in Australia! :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:54 pm
PeteC wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:49 pm The recent post about the FI Silverstone squabble reminds me about how hollow all this feels. All sports, not just F1. Maybe my mood will change once things begin to happen again, but honestly I couldn't give a toss at the moment. More important things like people's lives and general well being of the world comes to mind.
Yes, exactly! And one of the worst offenders is the thick headed, self centered Rugby followers in Australia! :guns:
Fully agree. There's a lot to be said about sports lifting a nation during the "Lockdown", but zero in comparison to people's lives. Money, Money, Money (as a Swedish quartet would say) seems to be foremost in many people's/companies/sports peoples minds for the wrong reasons. For many of us at the moment money is in the forefront of our minds for very different reasons!!

As for Rugby Australia (and NZ Rugby), there are huge concerns over the financial impact - however, RA have been running themselves into the ground for a number of years. :banghead:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Now you know how I've always thought about sport Pete!
I don't mean doing sport, I'm all for that, I mean watching other people do it.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

UFC Fight Night live now on Fox Sports!

YNWA

YNWA
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by Lost »

Can't wait till sport starts again.

Back to the good old days. Shouting at the screen, oft pretending we knew the winner. A few idiots debating a result.

A simpler time.

Now, every man and his dog is an epidemiologist and an expert politician to boot. Debating the best ways to quell a new strain of virus...

Football will hopefully kick off in 3 weeks. Fingers crossed.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Right, the number of keyboard virologists and statisticians has skyrocketed in recent months!

This time of year I'm missing the Isle of Man TT, and of course MotoGP ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'm happy the way it is, the pubs have now reopened here where I am in Europe and people have to talk about something other than 22 adults chasing a ball!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Kansas City Chiefs' Laurent Duvernay-Tardif opts out of season over coronavirus

https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/53538715

Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is the first player to opt out of the upcoming NFL season because of coronavirus fears.

Duvernay-Tardif is a doctor and spent the summer working at a clinic in his native Canada.

"I cannot allow myself to potentially transmit the virus in our communities simply to play the sport that I love," the 29-year-old wrote on Twitter.

"If I am to take risks, I will do it caring for patients."

His decision means Duvernay-Tardif will earn $150,000 from the opt-out deal agreed between the NFL and the players' association - much less than his usual salary.

"This is one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make in my life but I must follow my convictions and do what I believe is right," added the guard, who is the only active NFL player with a medical doctorate.

"That is why I have decided to take the opt-out option.

"Being at the frontline during this offseason has given me a different perspective on this pandemic and the stress it puts on individuals and our healthcare system."

NFL training camps begin on 28 July before the regular season gets under way on 10 September.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thailand MotoGP event cancelled

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -cancelled

The Thailand Grand Prix and two other MotoGP races in Malaysia and Argentina have been cancelled for this year, organisers announced on Friday.

The Thailand event, at the Chang International Circuit in Buri Ram, was originally scheduled to take place on March 22 but was postponed to Oct 4 because of the outbreak of coronavirus.

But with new cases surging in many parts of the world, the sport’s governing body has decided to axe more events, although promoters said one more race would be added to the calendar and held in Europe in November.

A number of races have been axed this season due to the coronavirus outbreak, including the Qatar, Dutch, German, Finnish, British, Australian, Japanese, Italian and American rounds.

“The FIM, IRTA and Dorna Sports regret to announce the cancellation of the Gran Premio Motul de la Republica Argentina, OR Thailand Grand Prix and Shell Malaysia Motorcycle Grand Prix in 2020,” MotoGP said in a joint statement with the governing body FIM and the teams’ association IRTA.

“After the Gran Premio Motul de la Comunitat Valenciana, another race weekend will take place from the November 20 to 22 at a venue in Europe, becoming the 2020 season finale.”

The host venue in Europe has not yet been decided and will be confirmed on Aug 10.

The season restarted earlier this month with back-to-back races at the Jerez circuit in Spain. The country will host seven races as part of the revised European calendar while four more circuits are set to host double-headers.

Promoter Dorna Sports added that the Thai Grand Prix would remain on the MotoGP calendar until at least 2026 and that it had started work on discussing possible dates for races in Argentina and Malaysia next year.

Fabio Quartararo of Petronas Yamaha leads the world championship standings after winning the first two races in Jerez while Maverick Vinales of Yamaha is second, 10 points behind.

Defending champion Marc Marquez of Repsol Honda is yet to open his account after crashing in the season-opening race and missing the second race after failing to recover from surgery to a broken arm.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Some Thai Football being played behind closed doors this weekend.

My son and I had already decided we weren't travelling to Ratchaburi this weekend, but the game with Sukhothai has now been put behind closed doors.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

In a nutshell, why bother. Huge egos in play here as it all should have been cancelled or postponed again months ago. Talent will be lacking as well as many athletes have opted not to attend.

'Heartbreaking' Olympic fan ban in Tokyo as virus emergency imposed

https://www.bangkokpost.com/sports/2146 ... cy-imposed

TOKYO: Fans will be banned from most Olympic events and Tokyo will be under a virus state of emergency throughout the pandemic-postponed Games, Japanese officials announced Thursday, just two weeks before the opening ceremony.

The decision, described by Tokyo's governor as "heartbreaking", means the Games will be the first to take place largely behind closed doors and is another blow for organisers, as they try to build momentum for the event.

When the Games were postponed last year as the scale of the pandemic became clear, there was talk they would be staged as proof the world had overcome the virus.

But that triumphant tone has given way to the harsh reality of new infection surges and more contagious variants, including the Delta strain that has spooked officials in Japan.

The country has seen a comparatively small virus outbreak and avoided tough lockdowns, but it also moved slowly to start vaccinations and only about 15% of its population is fully vaccinated so far.

With infections rising in the capital, Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga on Thursday announced Tokyo would be under a virus state of emergency from July 12 until Aug 22.

The measure is significantly looser than lockdowns seen elsewhere, largely limiting alcohol sales, shortening opening hours for restaurants and capping event attendances at 5,000 people.

But it signals a growing concern about the current rate of infections and appears to have piled pressure on Olympic organisers, who had hoped to have up to 10,000 local fans in venues after barring overseas spectators.

Organisers met Thursday evening with local and national government officials and Olympic and Paralympic chiefs to make what Tokyo 2020 chief Seiko Hashimoto termed a "very difficult decision".

She said spectators would be barred from venues in Tokyo and three surrounding regions, which account for the majority of Olympic events. Rules in other areas will vary, with limited spectators allowed in some regions.

"I feel heartbreaking grief about this decision," said Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike.

"But please watch the Games at home with your family in a safe and secure manner," she told reporters.

Hashimoto, herself a former Olympian who competed at both summer and winter Games, asked for understanding over the "difficult choice".

"I am very sorry for those people who will be disappointed, but in order to prevent the spread of the virus, this was the only choice available for us to take," she said.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC), in a joint statement with the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), said they respected the decision and "support it in the interest of safe and secure Games for everybody".

"At the same time, all five parties (also including local organisers, the Japanese government and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government) deeply regret for the athletes and for the spectators that this measure had to be put in place."

Delta variant fears

A decision on spectators at the Paralympic Games, which open on Aug 24, will not be taken until after the Olympics end, organisers said.

The ban comes after Suga announced the new emergency measures, which he said would not interfere with holding the Games.

"We will host the Games under the state of emergency," he told reporters.

"I think we can realise a safe and secure Games by taking these measures."

IOC chief Thomas Bach, who arrived in Japan earlier Thursday, said he would "support any measure which is necessary to have a safe and secure Olympic and Paralympic Games for the Japanese people and all participants".

US State Department spokesman Ned Price told reporters: "We support Japan's efforts to hold a safe and secure Olympics and Paralympics Games," but declined to comment further on the decision to ban spectators.

First Lady Jill Biden was due to attend the Games, but the ban has cast doubt on her trip. Her office said they were "assessing the feasibility" of her going.

Organisers are at pains to insist the Games can go ahead and will be safe for local residents and Olympic participants.

Japan has so far recorded around 14,900 deaths, despite avoiding harsh lockdowns, but the government has been criticised over the slow start to its vaccination programme.

And there are concerns that the Delta variant could produce a new wave that might quickly overwhelm local medical resources.

Olympic organisers have drawn up extensive measures, including daily testing for athletes and limits on their movement, which they say will keep the public and Games participants safe.

While vaccination is not required to participate in the Games, Bach said Thursday that 85 percent of arriving Olympic delegations would be inoculated, and almost 100% of IOC staff and members.

Despite the measures, Tokyo 2020 is struggling to stoke enthusiasm for the Games as the final countdown begins.

A nationwide torch relay has been taken off public roads in much of the country over virus risks, and fans have been asked to avoid the route of the Olympic marathon when it is run in northern Hokkaido.

Polls show most Japanese would prefer the Games be postponed again or cancelled outright, though opposition has softened in recent weeks.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Will all those who purchased tickets have their money refunded?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^^ Absolutely ludicrous for it ever to happen (this year), but obviously an immense amount of money involved - regardless of crowds (advertising, TV coverage etc.), not to mention the political side of things.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

There's only a few events that I follow in the Olympics if I stick it on. The 100m, javelin, pole vault, gymnastics to name a few. This year, I am looking forward to seeing this fella compete in the women's weightlifting, mind. :laugh:

0_Laurel-Hubbard.jpg
0_Laurel-Hubbard.jpg (88.21 KiB) Viewed 777 times
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.