International Driving Permit and Insurance

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
lomuamart

International Driving Permit and Insurance

Post by lomuamart »

I got another one of these when back in the UK last week. It's valid for a year from February 15th 2020.

I assumed that I was covered on the 1st class insurance for the car for the validity of the permit but a friend tells me that I'm only covered for a month which seems a bit self-defeating.

Does anyone know if this is correct? I know I should get a Thai licence but....
buksida

Re: International Driving Permit and Insurance

Post by buksida »

Seems an obvious answer but you need to call the insurance company - they all differ in what's permitted.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Righto, thanks. We're going to Pranburi tomorrow to renew the insurance and tax so I'll ask the dealer.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you're going to Pranburi anyway, why not just call in and get a proper licence? Absolutely no doubt or hassle then.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

lomuamart wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:13 am Righto, thanks. We're going to Pranburi tomorrow to renew the insurance and tax so I'll ask the dealer.
Ah, what has it got to do with the "dealer" if you are referring to the where you bought the car. The road tax needs to have the compulsory(Por Ror Bor) insurance before you can renew it, nothing to do with any "class" insurance that you may want.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks, Nereus. Just asked the missus and we'll be getting that compulsory insurance as well.

Overall, it seems to be a reasonable deal - 20,750 for all three things - compulsory insurance, 1st class insurance and road tax.

And yes, BB, I could pop into the license place but I bet I won't. I'll save that wonderful trip for another day. Too much to do tomorrow and not enough time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

How old is the car, Lomu. If it is under 7 years old it does not need an inspection, so it may be worth giving Matt a call.
If no inspection is needed just take the car blue book to his office and they will do the rest.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you're looking at insurance, have you considered these guys. If the website and prices are believed, the savings could buy you an awful lot of Chang. A friend has recommended them to me, and I'll certainly be checking them out later this year https://www.roojai.com/en/

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

As you are new to this car ownership BS Consider the following:
Every policy that I have ever seen has a 1 Million Baht limit on third party property damage. There are thousands of cars driving around, and the more expensive ones are being driven by what appears to be more egotistical owners, that cost well over 1 Million Baht. If in an accident you may find that you are liable for whatever it costs to replace a car costing well over 1 Million Baht.

To increase the liability cover from 1 Million to 5 Million Baht costs, if I recall correctly, about 100 Baht per 1 Million increase in premium. The insurance company will not tell you this, but you need to ask. Another reason for considering asking Matt.
Also, if you have had no claim since buying the car you should be entitled to at least a 10% no claim bonus.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'll add that some insurance companies will also give you a discount on the premium if you have a dash-cam fitted. Its also a pretty good idea to have one anyway considering the lunacy on the roads here.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The car's only one year old and yes Matt did occur to me before I whizzed back to the UK for a couple of weeks. In my absence, my wife has sorted things out, price wise and she'll go nuts if I try and change things now.

This is all a learning curve for me and hopefully I'll be better prepared next year.

Also, thanks for the link, BB. I was asking friends about the cost of 1st class insurance before the UK and it seemed fairly unanimous that it would cost around 20K. The actual price will be 17,450. Yes, I could probably afford to buy many more Changs if I looked around but then again, I'm not supposed to be drinking and driving and so far I stick to that quite religiously. Mind you, I'm not always in the car!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This Roojai will be less than half the cost. My car would be 7557฿, but it might be too good to be true - I haven't explored deeply yet. The website certainly talks a good policy.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:46 pm I'll add that some insurance companies will also give you a discount on the premium if you have a dash-cam fitted. Its also a pretty good idea to have one anyway considering the lunacy on the roads here.
I am sure that somewhere it has been posted that the government made it a rule, but I guess like the rest of the "rules" here it is just ignored.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I also heard of someone who'd taken 1st class insurance through the internet at 6,000 THB. I just wonder what would happen if there was an accident in the middle of nowhere. Would the insurance company respond in a timely manner?

The company we're likely to get is Muang Thai. Can you remember what insurance company you were using, Nereus. It makes sense to pay another 500 THB or so to get better coverage and we'll be able to "use" that when taking to the dealer tomorrow.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They guarantee 30 minute accident response.

As I've said, they talk a very good job, but I've no idea if e.g. that means 30 minutes or 30 Thai minutes.
Ins.png
Ins.png (94.73 KiB) Viewed 866 times

Points 48; Position 20