Maintain 800k Baht in Bank for How Long ?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Maintain 800k Baht in Bank for How Long ?

Post by Scout »

I understand the 800k Baht must be in the Thai bank at least 2 months prior to renewing an O or O-A visa, and then remain in the bank for 3 months after, after which you are allowed to draw the balance down to 400k baht before having to increase it back to 800k baht 2 months before renewing again.

My question is, when you have to keep the bank balance at 800k for 3 months, is this 3 months after the date you renewed the visa, or 3 months after the date your new “permission to stay” commences ?

Anybody know for sure ?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Maintain 800k Baht in Bank for How Long ?

Post by HHTel »

Good question. I would imagine it's following the 'permission to stay' date as that will be what's checked on your next application.
Maybe someone has the definitive answer.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It is a good question because the order from immigration is ambiguous. BUT, the new extension always come in to effect from the date that the last one expired, NOT the date that you went and made the extension.
So, I take it to be 3 months from the date your new extension starts.
visa extension.jpg
visa extension.jpg (89.49 KiB) Viewed 379 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

That’s what I was thinking also, BUT, I’m pretty sure the money has to season 2 months prior to the date you apply for renewal, not 2 months prior to the date your current extension ends. That got me to thinking, why make the money season 2 months before one date, but require it to remain in the bank 3 months after a different date. But maybe I’ve got it wrong...
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Scout wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:03 pm That’s what I was thinking also, BUT, I’m pretty sure the money has to season 2 months prior to the date you apply for renewal, not 2 months prior to the date your current extension ends. That got me to thinking, why make the money season 2 months before one date, but require it to remain in the bank 3 months after a different date. But maybe I’ve got it wrong...
Yes, 2 months before you apply for a an extension as far as I am aware. I still make sure it is 3 months so that I can apply well in advance. The 3 months after was, I believe, to try and stop people just borrowing the funds for just 2 months before.

I think that if you were to ask 6 different immigration officers you would get 6 different answers!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Understand what you're saying Scout. You are correct in 2 months before the application and not the end of your extension to stay. I had a friend who had that pointed out. Applied around 3 weeks before the new extension was to start but he was a few days short of the 2 months. He was told to come back next week.