Khao Tao Lake

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Khao Tao Lake

Post by HHTel »

It does appear that they are stump tailed macaques. They are listed as vulnerable on the endangered species list. Incidentally they are monkeys (there are no apes indigenous to Thailand). Their hairless tails can be less than an inch long and not usually longer than 2 inches. Although, generally, monkeys have tails, there are a couple of exceptions. The 'Barbary Apes' in Gibraltar are called apes but in fact they are macaques and therefore a tail-less monkey.

Glad to see they're being looked after.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I make it no secret that I visit this lake most days to take my daily exercise. Especially during periods of Covid restrictions because I get a decent walk, it is fairly wheelchair friendly for my wife and we encounter very few people making social distancing simple. Additionally, it's great to take my smallest dog (when its a little cooler) for his exercise as well.

IMHO it is one of the best kept places in the area, and there are always a team of people working to keep the area nice.

I mentioned before that somebody was setting traps to injure people. Thankfully, since I last wrote about it, I've not encountered another trip hazard. However, with the wheelchair in front of me, it does act like a hazard clearing machine.

There is however a lot of vandalism going on, which I presume must happen after dark. Things I've spotted in recent months:
  • Around the lake are wheelie bins for rubbish. These are often tipped into the lake, and the bin left floating.
  • There are several makeshift bridges around the lake that give access to the walkway for fishermen. Over the months several of these have been damaged, and I've seen 2 destroyed and dumped into the lake.
  • I noticed the latest vandalism/theft yesterday. A few months ago solar powered lights were fixed about every 10 yards around the lake on the North, West and South banks. Yesterday, somebody had stripped the North and West banks of the lights.
All of the above is petty vandalism/crime, but is totally out of character with the area. I can only assume it is bored kids, but such a shame.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:08 am
  • I noticed the latest vandalism/theft yesterday. A few months ago solar powered lights were fixed about every 10 yards around the lake on the North, West and South banks. Yesterday, somebody had stripped the North and West banks of the lights.
About 20% of the missing lights have now been replaced. I guess the rest will be on order.

Points 51; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

They need to install cameras and find out who's been vandalizing the area. The new lights will taken out also.

There's some vandalism going on in Smorprong also. The mirrors set up on the curves have been smashed and every now and then the flashing, warning lights are broken. Strange mentality.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It has to be kids.

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

What age qualifies as kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:18 pm What age qualifies as kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Up to about 43.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't know if it was on this thread or another that somebody asked regarding the safety of swimming in the lake. Well, I spotted this baby swimming in there today.
20210504_131257.jpg
20210504_131257.jpg (140.04 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
20210504_131316.jpg
20210504_131316.jpg (132.15 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
20210504_131321.jpg
20210504_131321.jpg (92.26 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
20210504_131434.jpg
20210504_131434.jpg (94.48 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
OK, this is only a baby Reticulated Python, and non-venomous. However, I also saw a Monocled Cobra taking a dip last year. This is in addition to the plethora of Monitor Lizards, which get quite big and I've noticed how powerful their tail is (not sure if they have a decent bite). Basically, I love walking around the lake because you just don't know what surprises you will encounter next. I love nature - maybe a sign that I'm getting old.

Would I swim in the lake? Not by choice, but it wouldn't worry me too much if I fell in :shock:

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I learnt a new word yesterday, reading a Bangkok news report, 'Thessakij '. Although I had never encountered the word before, and am still unsure how to pronounce it, I've obviously seen a few of these guys around.

Coincidentally, as I was going around the lake this morning, a Thessakij truck drove past at the Northern bank very slowly.

Halfway along the Western bank a Thessakij officer crossed a temporary bridge behind us, and just stayed there. We went around a slight corner, and could see a further 3 Thessakij officers in front of us. They were inspecting crayfish traps.

Over the last 3 months the lake has become overrun with crayfish traps. It started with a few scattered around the edges of the lake, but has grown into dirty, disgusting industry. The traps are identified all around the lake by floating plastic bottles - hundreds of them. The lake isn't that deep, and we often see people wading out to the middle dragging big plastic bowls with them to empty their catch into the bowls.

Why do I say disgusting? The traps around the walkway also attract small fish. Rather than throw them back into the lake, the small fish are just left on the walkway to die/rot.

Why do I say dirty? The bait to attract the crayfish is put into small blue nets. When the nets are emptied, the bait bags are just discarded into the lake. The lake itself is just a mass of plastic bottle identifier buoys.

One of the reasons for the lake was to provide the locals with a ready food source. This over-fishing is is now on a commercial scale - not just a local's food source. We've seen the crayfish, and there are some beauties, but this scale of over-fishing must be clearing the population out + damaging an entire generation of smaller fish.

I honestly hope the Thessakij officers were there to put an end to the practice, albeit, it is probably a little late. 3 months on, I think the damage has been done.

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:56 pm I honestly hope the Thessakij officers were there to put an end to the practice, albeit, it is probably a little late. 3 months on, I think the damage has been done.
Well, what can I say? I didn't go to the lake yesterday because I had to take Mrs BB to have her vaccination, but when I returned this morning, what a difference a day makes. We were met with this sign:
DSC02541.JPG
(365.7 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
A little strange because part of the lake's charter was to provide a food source for local people. Looking at the sign, that source has now gone.

In addition, around the edge of the lake, most of the reeds where many crayfish traps were hidden have been cut right back, and out on the lake most of the marker bouys (empty plastic bottles) indicating crayfish traps had gone. I guess the report by the Thessakij officers has seen action taken. About 95% of the crayfish traps have now gone (it would have been very hard to find 100% - they are easily missed). On the entire perimeter of the lake, there was just one fisherman (maybe he hadn't seen the sign). There were still plenty of small boats tied up, but maybe they've been given time to remove them.

For me, this is great news. I've got no problem with people fishing to feed their families, but it was really being done on a commercial scale (I suspect it was people from the local builder's camps, but could be wrong). Life can return to normal on the lake now. So nice to see just water, and not hundreds of floating plastic bottles.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:01 am
Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:56 pm I honestly hope the Thessakij officers were there to put an end to the practice, albeit, it is probably a little late. 3 months on, I think the damage has been done.
Well, what can I say? I didn't go to the lake yesterday because I had to take Mrs BB to have her vaccination, but when I returned this morning, what a difference a day makes. We were met with this sign:

DSC02541.JPG

A little strange because part of the lake's charter was to provide a food source for local people. Looking at the sign, that source has now gone.

In addition, around the edge of the lake, most of the reeds where many crayfish traps were hidden have been cut right back, and out on the lake most of the marker bouys (empty plastic bottles) indicating crayfish traps had gone. I guess the report by the Thessakij officers has seen action taken. About 95% of the crayfish traps have now gone (it would have been very hard to find 100% - they are easily missed). On the entire perimeter of the lake, there was just one fisherman (maybe he hadn't seen the sign). There were still plenty of small boats tied up, but maybe they've been given time to remove them.

For me, this is great news. I've got no problem with people fishing to feed their families, but it was really being done on a commercial scale (I suspect it was people from the local builder's camps, but could be wrong). Life can return to normal on the lake now. So nice to see just water, and not hundreds of floating plastic bottles.
The sign doesn't forbid fishing. It forbids using baits which will damage the water quality making it putrid. The other sign forbids small boats (whatever "small" is defined as).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you, that makes much more sense. I think the stuff they put in those Crayfish traps is quite putrid :shock: .

As for the boats on the lake, I doubt any of them is more than 8' in length, probably smaller.

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Trawl nets ok then? ..... lol
londongeorge

Post by londongeorge »

A little bit off the subject but what is the best way to get from downtown Hua Hin to the lake? Do any of the songthaew's go near there or is a taxi required?
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Big Boy wrote:
DSC02541.JPG

Good to hear Mrs BB has been vaccinated

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.