Gunman in Korat

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Gunman in Korat

Post by caller »

From the latest pics, I guess this is him?
1581170200954.jpg
1581170200954.jpg (96.41 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

MCOT are covering the incident live. Seems 20 dead so far with many injured.

Thought this only happened in the states. Never expected to see this happen in Thailand.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Unfortunately it happens everywhere, even the UK. Just on a lesser frequency.

They've just been interviewing his brother - also a soldier.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter (in the UK) said he was posting a live feed on facebook until his account was blocked and his other vids taken down.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, they are on social media. I've seen them, so probably copied if his account was taken down - everything is in Thai of course.

Current count 17 Dead, 21 Wounded

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I still can't get that ambulance crew out of my mind. The bravest thing I have ever seen. Under fire, no flak vests etc, they dashed into the centre of the road to rescue a wounded motorcyclist. They got the patient back to the ambulance, and the driver who had his phone in his pocket doing the live feed, placed the phone onto the dash. The fear in his eyes as he drove off was so real. As he was driving, you could see the 2 paramedics doing chest compressions etc.

They delivered the patient to the hospital, and drove straight back to the scene. Paramedics cleaning the blood en-route.

Such a brave trio. I feel honoured to have witnessed their heroics. I'll bet it won't make it onto the news. 3 true unsung heroes. Well done guys - incredible bravery on such a sad day.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Can't recall where I read it or was reported. A doctor went into the Mall to attend the wounded and was himself shot. He is now in ICU.

There are some very brave people about.

Regarding 'flak jackets', other than the army and the police, nobody is allowed to own one. They are considered 'weapons' in Thailand and owning one can lead to arrest. Remember the journalist who was reporting from a dangerous situation in BKK was subsequently arrested for wearing a 'flak jacket'.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Thailand shooting: Soldier kills 20 in gun rampage
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51427301

Thailand shooting: How the massacre in Korat unfolded https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51430619
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

According the Channel News Asia, the current death toll is 21 with over 30 injured including 10 who are very critical. The gunman is still holed up in the mall and it appears not known whether he still has hostages. He's believed to be in the basement.
A Thai official when asked about a move replied "He just went mad!"

Until there is evidence that he is alone, then I think it's just a waiting game. One newspaper stated that Thailand has the largest gun ownership in the world! Thailand actually comes in at No. 50.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've found a live feed to the ambulance I had so much admiration for yesterday. Same driver, different crew

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thai PBS are reporting that the guy has been killed and the focus now is getting the remaining 'hostages' out of the mall.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I hope so.

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

A soldier who killed 20 people in a gun rampage in the Thai city of Nakhon Ratchasima has been shot dead by the security forces, Thai police say.

Jakraphanth Thomma on Saturday killed his commanding officer before stealing weapons from a military camp.

The suspect continued his attack in a shopping centre in Nakhon Ratchasima, also known as Korat,

He posted material to social media, but his motives for his actions remain unclear.

How the massacre in Nakhon Ratchasima unfolded
Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul posted on his Facebook page on Sunday morning, congratulating the security forces for their actions in the northeastern Thai town.

"Thank you police and army for ending the situation. Shooter shot dead!!!"

Officials said that the death toll stood at 20, with 42 wounded, revising an earlier total of 21 dead. However, it is still possible that the number of fatalities could rise.

BBC News
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

21 dead and 10 more critical, the death toll is expected to rise. And this guy will never see the carnage he created.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:08 am I've found a live feed to the ambulance I had so much admiration for yesterday. Same driver, different crew...
I agree, BB. These guys need a medal but I doubt whether they'll even get recognition.