Customs clearance red channel at Suvarnabhumi

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Flying to/from Thailand, latest updates

Post by STEVE G »

I've never been stopped with normal luggage but I've often seen the customs swoop on anyone who has boxes, packages or sacks, anything that doesn't look like personal effects.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I guess the concern is that Pete mentioned they have installed x-Ray machines to scan your bags (presumably before they get to the carousel), so you could be “nabbed” before you even get to customs - look out for any suspicious looking stickers on your cases!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Some years ago, presumably before en-route xrays, a friend of mine was waiting in Heathrow for his bag. It was the last bag delivered to the carousel. He moved to pick it up and was immediately confronted by customs officers - "is this your bag, sir?"
He was done to rights. Had the lot confiscated.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

The last time I entered Thailand in 2018 was before all the Xray machines. I had a big load of booze in my bag that was a cause of concern should I get stopped so I waited until I saw three women of the Muslim faith starting to walk through. They were draped head to toe in black and I tucked behind them on the far side as I was highly certain that they were NOT going to be stopped and all of us scooted right through.
buksida

Re: Customs clearance red channel at Suvarnabhumi

Post by buksida »

Any idea on the possibility of bringing a decent bottle of single malt in? I think you're allowed a liter but have been hearing reports of customs cracking down and taking stuff anyway. Wouldn't want to take the risk with a good bottle of Scotch if they are on the take more than usual.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

"1 litre
Importation of Alcoholic Beverages and Cigarettes
No more than 200 cigarettes or 250g of tobacco or 250g of all types combined. No more than 1 litre of alcoholic beverage."

From the Thai Customs website: https://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_sim ... _160421_01
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If you’re traveling in within the next few weeks Buks, it would be helpful to have an update on the overall customs/x-Ray process you experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

buksida wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:58 pm Any idea on the possibility of bringing a decent bottle of single malt in? I think you're allowed a liter but have been hearing reports of customs cracking down and taking stuff anyway. Wouldn't want to take the risk with a good bottle of Scotch if they are on the take more than usual.
I wouldn't worry about it, one bottle will be fine.
U.K. whisky prices will be a real bargain for you compared to here.. 8) Worth any (miniscule) risk anyway.

Off-topic: I flew through CDG earlier this year and had to repeat security during transit (bloody frogs), they took all my duty-free liquids >100ml. Bloody fuming. :rant:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Ginjaninja wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:25 am
buksida wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:58 pm Any idea on the possibility of bringing a decent bottle of single malt in? I think you're allowed a liter but have been hearing reports of customs cracking down and taking stuff anyway. Wouldn't want to take the risk with a good bottle of Scotch if they are on the take more than usual.
I wouldn't worry about it, one bottle will be fine.
U.K. whisky prices will be a real bargain for you compared to here.. 8) Worth any (miniscule) risk anyway.

Off-topic: I flew through CDG earlier this year and had to repeat security during transit (bloody frogs), they took all my duty-free liquids >100ml. Bloody fuming. :rant:
It's the same at most airports, any duty free needs to be in one of those sealed bags from an airport duty free shop to get it through transit security.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:14 pmIt's the same at most airports, any duty free needs to be in one of those sealed bags from an airport duty free shop to get it through transit security.
As a frequent flyer, I should know better....

What I have never understood, is why some routes have security in transit and other don't - it's just gate-to-gate.
As an example; if I fly from Aberdeen to Bangkok via Schipol, there is only security at ABZ check-in. I think BKK-AMS-ABZ is the same.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lomu, in a recent thread you mentioned that you had recently returned to Thailand - was the luggage checking by Customs any different on this occasion?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

DB,
I didn't notice any difference. I breezed through.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

lomuamart wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:58 pm DB,
I didn't notice any difference. I breezed through.
I hope that’s a good indication of what to expect, although I know that they always “randomly” pull people over for closer inspection!! :cheers:
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Arrived back yesterday. Nothing different... breezed past customs.
The airport was certainly looking a lot busier. Must have been several large flights arrive as that's the busiest I've seen immigration since pre-chinese virus times. Still seems to be quicker getting through now though and it's a case of hurry up and wait for your bags.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think no TM6 has something to do with it. Previously the officer looked at it, tore off a piece and stapled it into your passport, scanned the bar code on his portion, and put it into a pouch of some sort next to his desk. Those steps are now gone, and multiplied by thousands per hour adds up to a lot of saved time. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source