Covid-19 News & Updates (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Covid-19 News & Updates (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think it’s fair to say that most of the hysteria has been caused by the Government - first announcing vaccinations are required by yesterday and medical insurance, through various retractions and counter claims, to finally saying vaccinations are not required, neither is Covid insurance, just follow this advice …………

If we hadn’t seen this type of thing countless times before, you’d hardly believe it, what a way to run a tourist industry!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I believe insurance is still required for people returning to a country with covid restrictions. I could be wrong as the rules change by the hour.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That is my understanding also.
Championship Millwall 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Of course, if true, then it would apply to all Chinese tourists.
I'm sure there's a deal with some company to issue 'cheap' insurance for Chinese.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Neither the Chinese or Thai governments will report anything like the truth with regards to Covid infection rates (or vaccination rates/quality of vaccines). With the Chinese opening the flood gates after 3 years of lockdowns and the Chinese New Year with millions travelling, there's going to be an explosion of infections/transmission of the disease and God only knows how many variants. Living in Asia, I'd be bloody concerned - then again, I shan't be going to the shopping center for the Chinese that is London either!

Stay indoors "lost" and keep to the VR set!! :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

New surge 'could see 10,000 daily cases for a short time only'
The number of daily Covid-19 cases is likely to reach 5,000-10,000 during a new wave but numbers probably will drop quite quickly after that, says Dr Nitipatana Chierakul, head of the Respiratory Disease and Tuberculosis Division at the Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital.

Writing on his Facebook page on Wednesday, Dr Nitipatana said the number of people infected with the Omicron XBB.1.16 sub-variant had increased but many patients had mild symptoms.

Severe health reactions that were reported were likely triggered by existing health conditions.

"When there is a new wave, daily cases are estimated to be between 5,000-10,000 patients. The number is relatively low compared to last year. Also, it is expected that cases will drop in a few weeks," he wrote.

Dr Nitipatana added that it is natural for the virus to spread during high-contact festivals like the Songkran celebrations, but not enough to damage society and the economy.

He said long-acting antibody (LAAB) treatment and other Covid-19 antiviral pills might not be necessary for everyone.

"Favipiravir has been proven through global use to be futile since the end of the Delta variant," he wrote.

Citing Thai medical experts encouraging annual Covid-19 booster shots, Dr Nitipatana said most people have already developed immunity and booster shot treatments should be given to people in vulnerable groups.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -time-only
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
DDD

Post by DDD »

Anyone know if/where a Covid bivalent booster is available?
Oh but to be wafted away
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What is one of those?

They are still doing a walk-in service on regular boosters every Tuesday, Hua Hin Hospital, Car Park level 10.

Points 48; Position 21
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:28 pm What is one of those?
It's a vaccine that provides antigens for both the original strain and the Omicron variant. I believe that in most Western countries it's the only one they're giving now.

I've seen info saying they're available in Bangkok but I haven't seen anything saying they're available in Hua Hin yet.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you.

Points 48; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

New data presented at this week’s CDC meeting shows that protection against emergency department visits for those 65 and older waned from 61 percent in the first 60 days after the first bivalent booster to just 25 percent by four to six months. Protection against hospitalizations also dropped from 64 percent to 39 percent.
Doesn't appear that good!
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:54 pm
Big Boy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:28 pm What is one of those?
It's a vaccine that provides antigens for both the original strain and the Omicron variant. I believe that in most Western countries it's the only one they're giving now.

I've seen info saying they're available in Bangkok but I haven't seen anything saying they're available in Hua Hin yet.
Was just at HHH for a non-related matter today (accompanying a sick friend) and I asked about this at the information desk. They said they don't have the bivalent vaccine and aren't aware that they will be getting it any time in the near future.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just seen this post about the bivalent jabs in Hua Hin.

Found on the Covid Community Support page on Facebook.
jab.png
jab.png (114.21 KiB) Viewed 1743 times

Points 48; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Wonder why San Paolo rather than Red Cross or HHH?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thailand sounds alarm as Arcturus strain arrives just in time for Songkran

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-s ... -songkran/

Thailand is once again on the defensive against COVID-19 after laboratory tests showed that the new, more contagious subvariant XBB.1.16 has landed on these shores.

Dr Supakit Sirilak, director-general of the Medical Sciences Department, reported that 27 cases of XBB.1.16 had been detected in Thailand as of April 17 and one of these had died.

“The deceased was an elderly foreigner with underlying health conditions. His death, therefore, may not directly reflect the severity of this subvariant but rather its impact on other risk factors,” Supakit said.

Health authorities have raised the alarm about XBB.1.16 and urged the public to keep their guard up. But they said there is no need to panic.

Threat of XBB.1.16

XBB.1.16, also known as Arcturus, is a subvariant of the Omicron bug that swept across the world last year. On March 22, the World Health Organization (WHO) listed XBB.1.16 as a variant under monitoring (VUM).

XBB.1.16 was first detected in January and has since become prevalent in dozens of countries. The United States, for instance, recently estimated that XBB.1.16 accounted for 7.2% of new COVID-19 infections.

Arcturus is also becoming the dominant subvariant in India, where many patients have developed conjunctivitis or itchy pink-eye – a symptom that was missing in previous COVID-19 waves.

Health authorities, however, say that though XBB.1.16 is highly transmissible, it does not appear to cause more dangerous symptoms judging by the hospitalization and fatality rates.

long article at the link...................

.......................................................................................................
Just as an aside: this is a very strange name! "Arcturus" is fact a well know star, especially in the northern hemisphere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcturus# ... ighborhood.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!