Tom's travels - Hua Hin after dark

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Tom's travels - Hua Hin after dark

Post by uncle tom »

As this section has been getting a little slack of late, I thought I'd revive it by posting a daily review of an establishment for the next few weeks.

After flying in last night, a priority was to get my talons sorted, so first stop:

Thai Thai massage

Location: On the corner of the dog leg of Poonsuk Rd, where it crosses Dechanuchit

This is a respectable massage establishment that has for several years now been my shop of choice for manicure and pedicure. Always friendly staff who know a wide range of treatments, they get more female customers than male.

Not the cheapest but not overly expensive either. The combined manicure and pedicure cost 400.

If you want a 'bog standard' one hour oil massage, go somewhere else.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Re: Tom's travels

Post by uncle tom »

Buckley's bar

Location: The corner of Soi Selakam, formerly the site of Tropical Massage

When this opened a year ago it felt like a square peg in a round hole. Vaguely Australian themed. with a couple of kangaroos painted on the outside walls, it was sterile and uninviting, and wrong for its location. I didn't rate it's chances.

To their credit however, whoever owns this establishment has recognised the shortcomings of their initial design, and has been quick to revamp it. One section of outside wall (along with a kangaroo) has been taken out to make the bar more open, and in recognition of its location, now has a complement of available ladies.

It now presents a good vantage point to sip a beer and watch the world go by. However, they are not doing a happy hour promotion, and 90 for a small Leo early evening is too much to pay.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Gus
Guru
Guru

Re: Tom's travels - Hua Hin after dark

Post by Gus »

Thanks for your reviews Uncle Tom, keep up the good work.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Na Na bar

Although only going for a couple of seasons IIRC, this bar has become a focal gathering point for older long stay visitors. The reason is simple: Friendly staff, comfortable chairs, cheap beer and no loud music.

For most beers they have a happy hour promotion (up to 8pm) of three small bottles for 150 - the standard rate being 70 per bottle.

Meals are available, all-British, pie based, and mostly costing 220

There are a few young ladies in the bar, noticeable for being rather more tastefully attired than in other establishments. They don't bother those men sitting in groups, but will sidle up to anyone who's looking lonely.

A pleasant bar with a simple and effective business model.
dragonseeker
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dragonseeker »

I have lived around the corner from Na Na's bar( previously Dicks Office, Miss You and Lailas) for seven years and have never seen them serve food. Monas bar a short way closer to Petchkasem on the other side of the street does "pie based" meals. Having said that most of the bars will get food in from another establishment to keep their customers happy.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The Victoria's F & C, the food excellent but a take-out place. I have often ordered, sat in the bar opposite, ordered a beer and had my meal delivered.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

dragonseeker wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:01 pm I have lived around the corner from Na Na's bar( previously Dicks Office, Miss You and Lailas) for seven years and have never seen them serve food. Monas bar a short way closer to Petchkasem on the other side of the street does "pie based" meals. Having said that most of the bars will get food in from another establishment to keep their customers happy.
I did not see any food served, but there is a menu on the bar..
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Cha-Ame cafe

Location: Despite the name, this little pavement cafe is right in the heart of Hua Hin, behind the shopping mall on the corner of Sa Song Rd and the narrow 74/2 alleyway (look for the orange parasols)

A simple but super-friendly cafe that makes much of its tea and coffee offerings, but which I feel is best for it's simple light meals, and is my favourite haunt for breakfast.

The staff rarely sit down, which keeps the service speedy and attentive, and the pricing is very competitive.

The cafe does not discourage smokers, which attracts some customers and deters others, although as a non-smoker, I rarely notice it, as the open nature of the cafe and the fans quickly disperses any smoke.
Last edited by uncle tom on Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

uncle tom wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:58 pm Cha-Ame cafe
The cafe does not discourage smokers, which attracts some customers and deters others
I'm discouraged :cry: . Isn't it breaking the law as well?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I'm discouraged :cry: . Isn't it breaking the law as well?
I'm not 100% sure, but is smoking only banned indoors?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

uncle tom wrote:Cha-Ame cafe

Location: Despite the name, this little pavement cafe is right in the heart of Hua Hin, behind the shopping mall on the corner of Sa Song Rd and the narrow 74/2 alleyway (look for the orange parasols)

A simple but super-friendly cafe that makes much of its tea and coffee offerings, but which I feel is best for it's simple light meals, and is my favourite haunt for breakfast.

The staff rarely sit down, which keeps the service speedy and attentive, and the pricing is very competitive.

The cafe does not discourage smokers, which attracts some customers and deters others, although as a non-smoker, I rarely notice it, as the open nature of the cafe and the fans quickly disperses any smoke.
Its one of my breakfast haunts and agree it's a good little place. Getting a spot in the breeze(or a fan) is essential.

I have a set English breakfast which includes tea but I might ask them to swap out the tea for some toast.

One genuine criticism is that their bacon is very light and thin(streaky) compared to many others. Some people are very fussy about that. I still go there but wish it was normal cuts

Oh and they usually give out free bananas!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I think the smoking ban only applies to air con places. I might be out of date though.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Nothing to apologize for, and I thought the 'banana' comments were on point, and funny.

OT ... sort of .... smoking IS supposed to be banned in all restaurants, AC'd / enclosed, and open aired. Seems to only be enforced, and randomly at that, at AC'd / enclosed venues. I'm in the 'deters customers' crowd. Not too many things worse when trying to enjoy a meal.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

BB, this is quite a useful little thread Tom has started so please kindly delete my posts, and any posts relating to it. I thought your reply to be very funny. But... we have some sensitive souls on here.

Best just to clear the thread of it b4 it becomes the focal point.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Good shout - banana remarks removed. Now :offtopic: please.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20