The Cheese Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: The Cheese Thread

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:
buksida wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:49 am I've found AP or Nany's still way cheaper than Makro for cheeses.
When was the last time you tried them? In the last couple of months I've found the cheapest stuff on a par with Makro.
I called into AP between 1-2 weeks ago and I thought their cheese prices had come down from the relatively high prices around Christmas time. A year or so ago they were definitely cheaper than Makro - then they slowly caught up and even exceeded them, so maybe they realised and have reduced a bit, but still not “cheap”!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I will admit, I won't go in to AP since the owner gave my wife a bollocking. However, my son has been in and has been reporting cheese prices as stupidly high.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I haven't been for about a month when they were reasonable - but if they've hiked them, Nany's is also a good option.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nanys are definitely priced OTT. My son has bought their cheap stuff this morning. Gold might be cheaper :cuss:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

A general question, is price the main factor for buying cheese in Hua Hin, over and above one's own preferences?

I'm not a cheese addict and for general use that almost always means in a sandwich. I prefer a mild or nutty hard cheese, I don't really care where it comes from as long as I like it. I'm far from being rich, but I can't imagine buying a cheese just because it's cheap.

I currently have some organic Kings Dairy Mild cheddar from the UK, which I bought from VM at what I thought an okay price. I suspect it's an Iceland cheese as their website tells you very little.

From time to time I will treat myself to some Comte' as long as it's not wrapped in basic plastic clingfilm.

For blue cheese, I prefer Castello, or Sant Agur. The former is widely available, the latter from VM. They are both very expensive compared to UK prices.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"They are both very expensive compared to UK prices."
It's a much longer drive to Thailand than it is to the UK and the duty is higher in Thailand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A vintage cheddar from Lazada which is cheaper than the shops I'd guess - £40.25 per kilo
Price of the same cheese from Tesco UK - £10 per kilo

Just an example of a popular cheese. Other cheeses show an even bigger margin.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Both cheese and wine are things I enjoy early and often on those occasions when I return to the west.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

centermid7 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:21 am Both cheese and wine are things I enjoy early and often on those occasions when I return to the west.
Certainly no help to you guys in HH/Thailand/Asia, but it was one of the advantages of returning to the UK after many years in Asia (mostly China but several in Thailand). Great cheeses, great ciders, great wines, great ports are all available/accessible, at reasonable prices and far better quality..... I miss(ed) a great deal from both worlds!! :wink: :thumb:

As for the cheese, I'm no lover of the Blue, "Ultra-strong" types, but more geared towards the milder cheeses - not the processed type cheeses, but traditional white cheeses the likes of Caerphilly (my local) although many types of it. I also love soft cheeses, the likes of Brie - crusty bread, (very) soft Brie, a few glasses of (white) wine....... Ahhhhhhh.

Then again, "Mature" not overly strong Cheddar with a pint or two of decent cider......

Another huge advantage here for cheese lovers (sorry guys) is that it's farm shops and local producers - for example, one of my favorite Bries is "Cenarth Brie" produced in west Wales (not biased honestly :oops: - it truly is superb).

https://www.cawscenarth.co.uk/shop/p/cenarthbrie

As always, buying produce outside the supermarkets in the UK is always expensive - but how do prices compare to the above website for example, just out of interest?

Yep, I miss Thailand, the weather and friends..... But actually feck it - a "staycation" with the above sounds good for 2021 (not that I have a choice, or can afford otherwise - especially the wine and cheese in HH apparently).

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:23 am
centermid7 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:21 am Both cheese and wine are things I enjoy early and often on those occasions when I return to the west.
Yes, like others I miss my trip to the states this year. There is always binge eating of foods that I don't get here, or don't get good quality.

Mexican food, Hungarian, fish tacos, lobster, prime rib, ahh but it does my waistline good at least not to mention my wallet
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

migrant wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:16 am
Yes, like others I miss my trip to the states this year. There is always binge eating of foods that I don't get here, or don't get good quality.

Mexican food, Hungarian, fish tacos, lobster, prime rib, ahh but it does my waistline good at least not to mention my wallet
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It's 2.30 a.m. Pietro, did you eat too much cheese last night?
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think I'll keep away from this thread in the future. It's giving me serious food/cheese withdrawal.

Especially when a sadistic welshman rubs salt in the wounds!!!!!

Oh for normality to return and my daughter supplies me with the necessary twice a year.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

HHTel wrote:I think I'll keep away from this thread in the future. It's giving me serious food/cheese withdrawal.

Especially when a sadistic welshman rubs salt in the wounds!!!!!

Oh for normality to return and my daughter supplies me with the necessary twice a year.
Ditto...

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.