Bangkok Terracotta Warrior Exhibit

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Bangkok Terracotta Warrior Exhibit

Post by Nereus »

The usual Farang rip off entry fee with this, but then I guess it is cheaper than going to China:
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
The Ministry of Culture announced on Thursday that the Bangkok National Museum will hold an exhibition “Qin Shi Huang: The First Emperor of China and the Terracotta Warriors” for three months beginning this Sept. 15. The exhibition will feature four life-sized warrior figures and a bronze chariot set, among other artifacts excavated from the tomb in Xi’an.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/ ... this-sept/

Anan Chuchotti, Director-General of the Fine Arts Department, said the exhibition is the culmination of three years of negotiations with Chinese counterparts.

The collection of 133 relics will span the period before the unification of China in 221 BC, the Qin dynasty, and the Han dynasty.

Archeologists believe the terracotta army was part of a mausoleum for China’s first emperor, Qin Shi Huang, to guide and protect him in the afterlife. Work on the mausoleum, which contained thousands of life-sized sculptures, is thought to have begun late into 300 BC. The sculptures were buried until they were accidentally discovered in 1974.

A common story has it that Viharnra Sien Temple temple in Chonburi province also displays terracotta warriors from Xi’an. However, the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok recently said the exhibits at Sian Temple are replicas.

The venue is reachable by a 15-minute walk from either the Tha Chang or Phra Arthit stops along the Chao Phraya Express boat services. Tickets are available at the ticket office for 30 baht for Thai nationals and 200 baht for foreigners. Explanatory texts are in Thai and English.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019 ... st-future/

Bangkok Terracotta Warrior Exhibit Speaks of China’s Past, Future

BANGKOK — The ongoing exhibition of four terracotta soldiers – and a hundred other artifacts – imported from China is not just about China’s past, but also its present and future.

The temporary exhibition, titled “Qin Shi Huang: The First Emperor of China and Terracotta Warriors”, uncovered a wide range of topics, from the terracotta warriors’ advanced weaponry and Chinese imperial rule to introduction of meritocracy and the Silk Road.

That is why the exhibition includes not just artifacts from the necropolis of Emperor Qin (247 BC – 221 BC), whose name is believed to have lent China its current English moniker, but also those of the subsequent dynasty who began the trade along the legendary Silk Road.

Before coming face to face with the four terracotta warriors airlifted straight from the ancient capital of Xi’an, visitors are treated to a chronology of how the Qin faction succeeded in crushing its rivals and imposing its iron will over China.
Visitors at "Qin Shi Huang: The First Emperor of China and Terracotta Warriors" exhibition in Bangkok on Sep. 16, 2019.
Visitors at "Qin Shi Huang: The First Emperor of China and Terracotta Warriors" exhibition in Bangkok on Sep. 16, 2019.
156970983262623-696x506.jpg (66.46 KiB) Viewed 751 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Bangkok Terracotta Warrior Exhibit

Post by migrant »

We went to a museum in California that was filled with the items here, very interesting
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

"Archeologists believe the terracotta army was part of a mausoleum for China’s first emperor, Qin Shi Huang, to guide and protect him in the afterlife."

Archeologists from which country?
I read that foreign archeologists were not allowed into the site for fear of what they might discover.....
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

wenshidi wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:23 pm "Archeologists believe the terracotta army was part of a mausoleum for China’s first emperor, Qin Shi Huang, to guide and protect him in the afterlife."

Archeologists from which country?
I read that foreign archeologists were not allowed into the site for fear of what they might discover.....

Erm..China actually..Google is your friend :cheers:

The Terracotta Army was discovered on 29 March 1974 by farmers digging a water well approximately 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) east of the Qin Emperor's tomb mound at Mount Li (Lishan), a region riddled with underground springs and watercourses.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Exactly my point. Why have no foreign archeologists ever been allowed into the dig?

What is China most famous for producing?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Lies?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

wenshidi wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:52 pm Exactly my point. Why have no foreign archeologists ever been allowed into the dig?

Where is it said that foreign archeologists were not allowed. Most of the research was done by Institute of Archaeology at University College London.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Not sure if that research was done on or off site Tel. Anyway I'm sure China has enough expert archaeologists on site without Western help. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's quite an interesting story.

It was discovered in 1962 but kept secret as Mao Tse Tung would have them destroyed as part of the cultural revolution. After a call from farmers who had unearthed some heads, he went back and realised the importance of the find. He still kept it quiet from the government as the cultural revolution was not over.

A journalist, having found out about it, spilt the beans to the Chinese government who despite fears, didn't have it destroyed after all. Instead, they organised a formal excavation and uncovered 500 warriors. A museum was opened on the site in 1979 and Zhao Kangman was recognised as the discoverer in 1990.

He died in 2018 aged 81.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Cheers Tel, looks like they did a pretty fine job of it without the aid of "superior" westerners. :duck:

― George Carlin
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:51 pm What is China most famous for producing?
I was going to say fakes.
Especially low end factory clones that are churned out in enormous volumes.

As for China having plenty of competent archeologists, you do realise that academic freedom is extremely restricted in China and scholars have to repeat whatever the government tells them to.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

wenshidi wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:43 pm
handdrummer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:51 pm What is China most famous for producing?
I was going to say fakes.
Especially low end factory clones that are churned out in enormous volumes.

As for China having plenty of competent archeologists, you do realise that academic freedom is extremely restricted in China and scholars have to repeat whatever the government tells them to.
I think that you're replying to the post that I quoted and replied to as I didn't comment about archaeologists, or academic freedom. However, I am away of the situation.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

To many experts in the world just let the topic of the terracotta army flow ,
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:49 am I think that you're replying to the post that I quoted and replied to as I didn't comment about archaeologists, or academic freedom. However, I am away of the situation.
Sorry Handdrummer, my mistake.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

wenshidi wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:30 pm
handdrummer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:49 am I think that you're replying to the post that I quoted and replied to as I didn't comment about archaeologists, or academic freedom. However, I am away of the situation.
Sorry Handdrummer, my mistake.
No harm, no foul, no vituperative backstabbing. :cheers: