Thailand Air Quality and Pollution Alerts

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Re: Thailand Air Quality and Pollution Alerts

Post by buksida »

The current bad air quality is to do with sand storms in China according to this: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-pictures

Thailand's burning habits are adding to it though.

It was even bad where we are in BS yesterday at 133, and this area is usually cleaner than most on the AQI but we couldn't see Koh Talu.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wonder is this problem is really any worse than other years, or are the doom and gloom merchants being fed by the recent press interest :run:

I remember years ago (about 2014) when I was doing my Things to do and see' series around Hua Hin. I soon realised that scenic photographs were a waste of time because you couldn't see Jack Shit through the smog. At that time people put it down to 'sea haze'.

I remember being in Malaysia in September 2019, where the air quality was very poor. They were reporting it was much worse in Hua Hin Thailand, which I found hard to believe, especially being outside of burning season, but it was.

It is amazing how the press can focus people's minds on problems that aren't new. We just have to remember, good news rarely sells newspapers.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

These past few weeks we have had winds from the south and south east
no chinese crap in those winds
but the reoprting is partially correct
5 times in the past few weeks parts of china have registered an AQI of in excess of 1000 one day even as high as 1555
the PM2.5 readings even today have been in excess of 750.

compared to last year, down here its been way way worse for way way longer..
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:01 am I wonder is this problem is really any worse than other years, or are the doom and gloom merchants being fed by the recent press interest :run:
I've been a very regular visitor for twenty years and the first week I was there last month it was noticably bad, you could taste it and I was coughing badly. After that the wind changed and it wasn't so bad.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not saying it hasn't been bad. What I'm saying is it's been bad for the last 11 years that I've been living here, but it's only recently the press have been reporting it.

My wife's lungs are very bad, so I probably take more notice than most.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, this is the worse I have ever experienced it, sea haze or not! Its a country mile worse than I have ever experienced. Yes, there was always the odd day, but now longer periods of smog are becoming the norm. And it's everywhere. It was like it in Bkk earlier, as it was in Khon Kaen during the week, Korat last weekend and so on.

Bkk earlier:
20230416_123555.jpg
(215.93 KiB) Downloaded 21318 times
By Pak Chong yesterday (on stretch of new motorway opened for songkran):
20230415_143528.jpg
(65.49 KiB) Downloaded 21318 times

In Khon Kaen, some stores are displaying alerts:

Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, it is terrible. What I will say though is Mrs BB is having her best year for about 5 years lung wise. Long may that situation last.

The last 2 days have also been as bad as I've known it i.e. it has been difficult to clearly see across the length of the lake. Is it the worst ever? I've no idea.

What I will say is this is the first year ever that my son has had students turn up on his doorstep from Chiang Mai seeking to train in the cleaner air of Hua Hin :shock:

Points 48; Position 20
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

bigston wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:54 am5 times in the past few weeks parts of china have registered an AQI of in excess of 1000 one day even as high as 1555
the PM2.5 readings even today have been in excess of 750.
I tried searching for trends on the AQI to see this but didn't get anywhere. Do you have a link?
DDD

Post by DDD »

https://aqicn.org/station/thailand/hua- ... บคีรีขันธ์
Scroll down to where it says Air Quality History, give it a few seconds to refresh and you will see 4 years history
Oh but to be wafted away
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

DDD wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:02 am https://aqicn.org/station/thailand/hua- ... บคีรีขันธ์
Scroll down to where it says Air Quality History, give it a few seconds to refresh and you will see 4 years history
Thank you DDD.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There was a noticeable improvement in the air quality when I walked the lake at Khao Tao this evening. I could actually see the features on the hills around the lake for the first time in weeks.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Piggyback onto the "(Don't) wear a mask "thread, A lot of articles that this year is going to be much worse than last. We'll see?

So, pick your mask of choice, Covid type or N95, or something else. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wore N95 throughout Covid. My choice is simple :D

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wore N95 throughout Covid. My choice is simple :D

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I guess it's the same. With pollution you're protecting yourself when "breathing in". With Covid you're protecting others when you exhale.

Not to be forgotten that in northern Asia people wear masks outside all winter long simply to take the bite out of inhaling frigid air. They are indeed "3 in 1" folks.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source