Zip Trip to Malaysia - Photo Trip Report

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Zip Trip to Malaysia - Photo Trip Report

Post by Lost »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:19 am
• Bum Guns – probably the one thing Thailand leads the world in...
:D

Oh how I miss the bum gun. On returning to the U.K, I found using tissue, with hand so close to (and sometimes accidentaly touching :oops: ) excrement, quite disgusting.

In wiping our arses with paper, I'm pretty sure the Thai's think we are quite disgusting too. :P

Looking forward to your nxt trip report. :cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

(Sorry too much information alert!!!)

I was caught short on our 2nd morning and had to dash to a public loo on the LRT. Of course, it was very clean, but flooded. Trying to do the business when I'd finished would have been good on a British comedy sketch show. Trousers and undies gripped under my chin, right hand on the tap behind me, and left hand directing the 'broken' nozzle to where the sun doesn't shine. Adjusting the tap to get the right water pressure was an art in itself. One slip of the chin, and my clothes were swimming.

As for using loo paper........................... :shock:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:30 pm (Sorry too much information alert!!!)

I was caught short on our 2nd morning and had to dash to a public loo on the LRT. Of course, it was very clean, but flooded. Trying to do the business when I'd finished would have been good on a British comedy sketch show. Trousers and undies gripped under my chin, right hand on the tap behind me, and left hand directing the 'broken' nozzle to where the sun doesn't shine. Adjusting the tap to get the right water pressure was an art in itself. One slip of the chin, and my clothes were swimming.

As for using loo paper........................... :shock:
:lach:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Great report, the only thing I'd disagree with is the alcohol bit. Being someone that enjoys a beer, I tend to seek these things out when on the road and found Malaysia cheaper than Thailand (shops, not bars) with a much greater variety of brews, and no stupid restriction times.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

buksida wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:11 pm Great report, the only thing I'd disagree with is the alcohol bit. Being someone that enjoys a beer, I tend to seek these things out when on the road and found Malaysia cheaper than Thailand (shops, not bars) with a much greater variety of brews, and no stupid restriction times.
I couldn't find any cheap beer when there. Remember paying around 250 baht a bottle from local 7-11 type shops. Cheapest I got was buy 2 get one free, in some restaurants. Same price as the shops but get an extra one.

Must've been looking in the wrong places. Spent my time in and around China Town when there for a week (was a visa run).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I remember you writing about the price of Guinness, and promised myself a bit of a binge, but did not see any on sale in shops. However, enjoying shopping as much as I do, I did not put in too much effort looking - especially as we both had 'free drinks' vouchers to use back at the hotel :banghead: :banghead:

7-11s were a definite no for anything stronger than fanta.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Lost wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:28 pm
buksida wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:11 pm Great report, the only thing I'd disagree with is the alcohol bit. Being someone that enjoys a beer, I tend to seek these things out when on the road and found Malaysia cheaper than Thailand (shops, not bars) with a much greater variety of brews, and no stupid restriction times.
I couldn't find any cheap beer when there. Remember paying around 250 baht a bottle from local 7-11 type shops. Cheapest I got was buy 2 get one free, in some restaurants. Same price as the shops but get an extra one.

Must've been looking in the wrong places. Spent my time in and around China Town when there for a week (was a visa run).
Prices in Langkawi this year:

Local beer, half a litre draught : 50 baht in a restaurant. 22 baht at the shops.
Mid-range bottle of wine: 363 baht

Petrol is around 17 baht a litre.

I remember cigarettes were around 12 baht a pack.

Being a duty free island, they have custom controls when leaving. i.e. 200 cigs, 1 ltr whiskey etc etc.

Loved Langkawi especially a fish restaurant call 'Scarborough Fish and Chips'. Only Brits will understand that!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:56 pm
Loved Langkawi especially a fish restaurant call 'Scarborough Fish and Chips'. Only Brits will understand that!
Worth going for this reason alone!!
:cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Oh for something like that in the HH area, especially at those prices!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yeah, drink in Langkawi is cheaper than water - you can brush your teeth with single malt.

During the trip to KL we found a little Chinese run bottle shop where you could buy tins of Royal Stout and various import beers for 4-6 ringgit which at the time was way cheaper than Thailand - which doesn't sell stout anyway. Tins of Guinness were found in most 7-11s for about 8-9 ringgit which worked out at about 70-80 baht - try doing that in Thailand!

This thread is making me thirsty now ... currently at a mid-range hotel up north where they're wanting 110 ++ for a bottle of Chang :shock: :guns:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:58 am found in most 7-11s
Here we have it again - alcohol being sold in 7-11s. Lost said the same. Medical alcohol is the only thing I was desperate to buy, and tried several 7-11s. I was almost thrown out of one for suggesting they may sell alcohol. The message put across to me was 7-11s were not permitted to sell alcohol of any kind. I wonder if:
  • There has been a change of policy in Malaysia.
  • It's a city centre thing.
  • I simply tried the wrong 7-11s.
  • They just didn't like me :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ok, this was a couple of years ago and there may be new legislation in force now just for 7-11s. Additionally there is another Malay equivalent of 7-11 and the local shops that would sell it, especially the Chinese owned ones - I remember stocking up last year in Sepang - so beer is available if you know where to look.

Edit: Here are some of what is available if you know where to look (these were from a 7-11 in Penang). As mentioned the first thing I do when outside of Thailand is source some of the local brews ...

gt3.jpg

And these heavies were found in a bottle shop in downtown KL.

beer.jpg
beer.jpg (124.28 KiB) Viewed 167 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I remember your post well. I even considered a trip down there to get some Guinness when my son was getting married. As you know, alcohol is no longer high on my list of priorities, so I didn't look too hard, but the 7-11s in KLCC and China Town areas were a definite no.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Good trip report BB. Funny that the thread has turned into a discussion about beers in Malaysia. Don't forget that Malaysia is a federation of states and some states may be very strict on alcohol, even to the point of banning it, while others are more liberal. There may also be differences in availability based on whether an area is predominantly Muslim or not. So some 7-11s may have beer where others won't.

You mentioned buffet breakfast in your hotel. The thing I disliked about these hotel breakfasts was the bacon because it's not (or wasn't the times I was there) usually pork bacon, in my experience it was turkey bacon - yuch! Also, while supermarkets in KL would sell pork and alcohol you had to go to a cashier manned by a non-muslim. Might be different these days and maybe they have self-service checkouts.