Coin Counting Machines

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
RegularGuy
Rookie
Rookie

Coin Counting Machines

Post by RegularGuy »

Our little one has a piggy bank that is getting full. We are looking for a local bank that has a coin counting machine. Does anyone know of a local bank or business that has this capability?

Thanks in advance
Big Boy

Re: Coin Counting Machines

Post by Big Boy »

Mrs BB takes her money box change to Makro, who are usually grateful for the change. They don't use a machine, they use a human to count it. Usually drop it off on the way in, do our shopping and pick up the cash on the way out.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Went to Makro last week with a couple of bags of 1 baht coins but they don't change them anymore, they have a notice on the counter. But 7/11 were happy to take them.

I have collected a few 25 & 50 satangs and was wondering where I can change them ?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:19 am Went to Makro last week with a couple of bags of 1 baht coins but they don't change them anymore, they have a notice on the counter. But 7/11 were happy to take them.

I have collected a few 25 & 50 satangs and was wondering where I can change them ?
I normally give small coins to one of the many people you see in the markets etc who are unfortunately a lot worse off than most of us on this Forum - they’ll find a way of changing them.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:51 am
joelle wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:19 am Went to Makro last week with a couple of bags of 1 baht coins but they don't change them anymore, they have a notice on the counter. But 7/11 were happy to take them.

I normally give small coins to one of the many people you see in the markets etc who are unfortunately a lot worse off than most of us on this Forum - they’ll find a way of changing them.
Brownie points for you 🎄🎅🎄, but I would still like to know if and where I could change them ?
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The banks stopped this service a long time ago, or would discourage you from doing so by charging 200 baht (at the time) for the service.
I used to have some coin-operated fuel dispensers and phone top-up machines some years back and would have about 5,000 baht in coins almost every month. I had to sort them by hand and put them in plastic bags, 100 baht per plastic bag.
The PTT petrol station was happy to take them, as was the DTAC and TRUE shops in the mall. The market vendors too.
You just need to sort the coins out.
P.S. Quite a dirty job, you'd be surprised how much dirt is on those things..
วินเชนท์
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

VincentD wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:53 pm The banks stopped this service a long time ago, or would discourage you from doing so by charging 200 baht (at the time) for the service.
I used to have some coin-operated fuel dispensers and phone top-up machines some years back and would have about 5,000 baht in coins almost every month. I had to sort them by hand and put them in plastic bags, 100 baht per plastic bag.
The PTT petrol station was happy to take them, as was the DTAC and TRUE shops in the mall. The market vendors too.
You just need to sort the coins out.
P.S. Quite a dirty job, you'd be surprised how much dirt is on those things..
That's no problem, it's just that nobody seems to want to change them small satangs, yet they still give them out !!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Why not just spend them?

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:04 pm Why not just spend them?
But preferably not when you're in front of me in the supermarket queue!
Small local shops do business in cash and like small money for change.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They must be legal tender if shops are giving them in change. Buying small things like chewing gum, sweets, ice cream, etc. would surely soon see them gone.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

:thumb: :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The Government Savings Bank will take all of them, but you may need to have an account with them. I just did it recently, but I did sort them out into plastic bags first, and I had a Thai do it for me. Was near on 2,000 Baht, so worth doing.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Nereus wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:56 pm The Government Savings Bank will take all of them, but you may need to have an account with them. I just did it recently, but I did sort them out into plastic bags first, and I had a Thai do it for me. Was near on 2,000 Baht, so worth doing.
:thanks:
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

About 2 years ago I took a large, un-sorted bag of coins to Bangkok Bank at Blu Port and asked that they be deposited into my account. The bank teller summoned the security guard to come help her count them. They accepted, counted and deposited all of the 1, 2, 5 and 10 baht coins. They returned all the 25 and 50 satang coins to me. I’ve also taken coins to Makro as Big Boy suggested. Sometimes they counted them for me, other times they told me they did not have staff available to count them.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Scout wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:18 am About 2 years ago I took a large, un-sorted bag of coins to Bangkok Bank at Blu Port and asked that they be deposited into my account. The bank teller summoned the security guard to come help her count them. They accepted, counted and deposited all of the 1, 2, 5 and 10 baht coins. They returned all the 25 and 50 satang coins to me. I’ve also taken coins to Makro as Big Boy suggested. Sometimes they counted them for me, other times they told me they did not have staff available to count them.
Makro has stopped this service they have a notice to that effect on their counter.
Yet they keep giving out the 25 and 50 satangs. Never mind.
🎄⛄🎄