Food Courts of Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Food Courts of Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

These have become very popular here in Hua Hin during the 7 years I've lived here. We often touch on them during discussions, so I thought I'd try a thread where various things can be discussed. Food courts often offer cheap beer as their loss leader, which attracts drinkers, and you can get a good variety of decent food at budget prices also. Often there is free entertainment as well.

Food courts that I can think of include:
  • Market Village (just food)
  • Bluport (just food)
  • Baan Khun Por - I consider the pathfinder that others have followed
  • Pae Mai Food Garden (my daughter-in-law has a food outlet here, so I will declare an interest. I will endeavor not to publicise it) - Definitely a clone of Baan Khun Por, but with lessons learnt in my opinion.
  • Tamarind Market, which I consider to fall into this category.
  • Racing Market - was dying the last time I looked, No idea if it's recovered and still going.
  • Big C - I believe (don't know) knocked down, and risen from the ashes.
I am sure there are more, but the above list will do to start.

My favourite is Pae Mai - firstly and most importantly to visit my daughter-in-law, but just as important is car parking. As far as I know, it is the only evening food court with sensible car parking, apart from a Tuesday, when there is arguably the best market in town occupying the car park. Of course, Market Village and Bluport have adequate car parking.

Obviously cheap beer is the BIG attraction. I think at Pae Mae 3 large beers cost 170฿, and if you buy 6 you get a 7th free (I don't drink often, so can't confirm this. I believe Baan Khun Por and Big C are similar.

Free live music is a plus as well, with some top Thai acts appearing from time to time. Of course, because its free, you have to go early to get a table. I've known my daughter-in-law go at 4pm just to claim a table for others. However, entertainment can be noisy. I used to use Baan Khun Por quite frequently, but was eventually driven away by the noise (yes, I'm getting old). You just can not talk. I guess if you are modern generation, talking doesn't matter because you'll be engrossed on your phone. I've been pleasantly pleased with the lower noise levels at Pae Mae.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Food Courts of Hua Hin

Post by migrant »

Is Pae Mae the one on the canal road?

We like food courts but, as you mentioned, parking can be a bitch
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

If I have to select: Market Village for daytime . Baan Khun Por for evening food and entertainment.
Pee Mai is only good on tuesdays. Forger the personal publicity for a daughter in law by someone.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

migrant wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:40 pm Is Pae Mae the one on the canal road?

We like food courts but, as you mentioned, parking can be a bitch
Yes, built out of old shipping containers, but very effective.

Points 51; Position 21
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

My favorite at the moment is Pae Mai. The food is generally good and reasonably priced. Always seems clean and at week-ends there is a good atmosphere. Big bonus is the easy parking. Usually have the B109 Pork Chop from the stall in the corner and have never been disappointed. Last week-end decided to try their Spag. Bols. but have to report like most Spag. Bols. in Thai shops was ruined because was far too sweet

Had some friends over from Pattaya last week, they loved the food court, saying there is nothing like this in Pattaya.

Used to go to Baan Khun Por but after driving past during the day and seeing the size of the rats running around the stalls have been giving it a miss.

Tamarind now caters for visitors. The food is expensive, the portions are small and not particularly good and the drink is expensive. The one exception is the stall with Ribs and mashed potatoes, 190 Baht I believe.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PJG wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:43 pm Tamarind now caters for visitors. The food is expensive, the portions are small and not particularly good and the drink is expensive. The one exception is the stall with Ribs and mashed potatoes, 190 Baht I believe.
Coincidentally, my son loves the ribs there as well.

Points 51; Position 21
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

At market village you also get beer at the allowed times.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

BKP-- The first and never quite equalled FC, prices, selection of food, the whole mood all excellent Good parking for M/bikes. I often look around and assess the Thai/farang numbers--usually at least 80/20, not too dependant on farang.
I also like the downstairs food court at MV, good for lunch and on rainy nights. Lunch there has an added bonus, you see more beautiful young Thai girls there than you do on the bar streets.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big C - I believe (don't know) knocked down, and risen from the ashes.
There were two of them for a while, the original smaller one just after Big C and then a larger one was built just before it, the first one closed and is now demolished but the second one is still going. I sometimes use this one purely because it is so quick and easy to get to from where I live.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Top choice for me is BKP, convenient for parking, massive food selection and beer at shop prices. Go early to avoid the noise!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pitsch wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:10 pm At market village you also get beer at the allowed times.
Yes, at Bluport also, but is beer the loss leader at these 2 places. I am doubting it, because you rarely see it consumed.

Market Village also tried live entertainment in the Food Court for a short while, but I haven't noticed that for a long time.

Points 51; Position 21
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

europtimiste wrote:Forger the personal publicity for a daughter in law by someone.
I don’t often get involved but I had to laugh at this.

Such a ridiculous comment that Euro has tried so hard to find fault with.

Good comedy Euro well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Henry 14th wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:13 am
europtimiste wrote:Forger the personal publicity for a daughter in law by someone.
I don’t often get involved but I had to laugh at this.

Such a ridiculous comment that Euro has tried so hard to find fault with.

Good comedy Euro well done.
Sorry for typing mistake. Should be FORGET the personal publicity for daughter in law.
Nothing to do with the choice.
I also had to laugh at this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Nothing to do with any typing errors, we all knew what you meant. Just you being a prat( imbécile in French) as usual.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

sateeb wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:17 pm Nothing to do with any typing errors, we all knew what you meant. Just you being a prat( imbécile in French) as usual.
Certainly not more than many of you.