Keto diet and low carb eating

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Re: Keto diet and low carb eating

Post by Henry 14th »

buksida wrote:Going to do another month before venturing back into the world of carbs! Avoiding the sugar has been harder since it is in absolutely EVERYTHING here.

Once the body acclimates, it gets easier getting back into Keto again after getting knocked out of it.
Fullly agree white that. The first 2 months are hard but after than it’s a pleasure to quickly bounce back from a carb hit.

Be prepared to feel rough after the carb crash….makes you wonder why we bother looking forward to such a ‘treat’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Our Keto journey has come to its conclusion for now. The three months are up so we're not being as strict with the diet, will stick to low carbs and sugar but not as strictly as when on full Keto. Here are some observations and results from the whole experience.

Diet: Full Keto, less than 20% carbs per day (many days zero carbs/sugar), high protein and fat.
Duration: Three months.
Total weight loss: 7-8kgs (about 9% of total body weight), lowest weight: 73kgs.
Supplements taken: Silymarin (milk thistle), Magnesium, Multivitamin, ACV (apple cider vinegar), MCT oil.
Fitness regime: Cardio and bodyweight workout (pushups, situps, skipping, etc) 3-4 times per week, 45 mins to 1 hour per session.

Challenges and observations
Had a Keto shake for breakfast and two meals per day with smaller portions. Experienced appetite loss so was never really hungry on this diet. Often fasted for 18 hours not eating the first meal until after midday (but having a Keto coffee in the morning. Always thirsty and always peeing, had to drink a lot of water.

Energy levels fluctuated but were much higher in the mornings. Quality sleep is very important and often overlooked - without it I generally felt shite the next day. Seems to knock your libido out a bit as well but being married, that's not such a big deal!

Avoiding the carbs was relatively easy, after two months didn't really miss rice or bread. Avoiding sugar was much harder, it is in everything here and you really have to pay attention to the labels on things. Became very sensitive to sweet-tasting things and generally didn't want anything sugary (even if it was Stevia or the like). Zero or low sugar equivalents in Thailand generally cost more than their unhealthy counterparts.

Did not have a beer for 3 months, but could drink spirits with zero sugar mixers or sodas. You got happy much faster but the hangovers were much worse!

Eating out was very challenging as you have to tell every place not to add sugar to their cooking. Keto food is obscenely expensive in Thailand, your food bill will double at least.
Most ingredients could be sourced online, the Hua Hin Keto shop seems more for the Bangkokians who don't mind paying 180 baht for a croissant. Macadamia and Pecan nuts which are very good for Keto are more expensive than gold in Thailand! Luckily the Mrs was doing it as well so we ate at home 95% of the time.

This guy was very informative (yeah I know he is a fitness celeb, but he includes a lot of dietary science and biochemistry in the videos which I found informative): https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer

This was more of a lifestyle change than a diet and once your body becomes fat adapted (producing ketones and burning fat instead of burning and storing carbs and sugar), it is easier to switch in and out of Ketosis. It took 3 weeks originally but now a day or two. The first 4 kilos (mostly liquid) went fast, the next 3-4 kgs took much longer as it was burning the fat from different areas of the body. Belly is much smaller and shorts now too big, I'm never going to have a six-pack but it is a vast improvement and I feel a whole lot better mentally and physically.

Had the carb crash the first time back on them so will stay on limited/low carbs. Beer tasted like shite (but it did before) so prolly stay off that as well. This will probably be something we do every couple of months now for a month at a time, especially if the weight starts going back on. Would recommend Keto for anyone wanting to lose weight and still eat well or those with high blood sugar levels.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Glad you got some benefit. Like you, I slip back into Keto every few weeks. I have found that it's far too easy to add weight than to lose it. I lost 26 kg doing Keto (did it for much longer than you), but I added 4 kg in the first week after stopping. That grew to 8 kg in quick time. However having done the keto experience I can get rid of it without any shocks.
I've never drank beer since. My drink of choice is Gin and Soda (they now have flavoured soda which is ok and still zero/zero)
I still use Erythritol whenever sugar is called for.

All in all, like yourself, I can flip back into keto easily therefore controlling my weight.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

HHTel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:15 pm Glad you got some benefit. Like you, I slip back into Keto every few weeks. I have found that it's far too easy to add weight than to lose it. I lost 26 kg doing Keto (did it for much longer than you), but I added 4 kg in the first week after stopping. That grew to 8 kg in quick time. However having done the keto experience I can get rid of it without any shocks.
I've never drank beer since. My drink of choice is Gin and Soda (they now have flavoured soda which is ok and still zero/zero)
I still use Erythritol whenever sugar is called for.

All in all, like yourself, I can flip back into keto easily therefore controlling my weight.
The zero sugar lemon drinks from Schweppes and Singha go very well with the Bombay :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

"The zero sugar lemon drinks from Schweppes and Singha go very well with the Bombay"

Actually these drinks that have just appeared are from Singha with zero sugar and zero calories. The Schweppes variety carry a lump of calories. Schweppes Soda Manao carry carbs and calories. Labelling is often misleading.

However the Singha does go well with Bombay (the best) but it's also ok with the cheaper brands.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

HHTel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:57 pm "The zero sugar lemon drinks from Schweppes and Singha go very well with the Bombay"

Actually these drinks that have just appeared are from Singha with zero sugar and zero calories. The Schweppes variety carry a lump of calories. Schweppes Soda Manao carry carbs and calories. Labelling is often misleading.

However the Singha does go well with Bombay (the best) but it's also ok with the cheaper brands.
I've seen the zero cal Schweppe's Manao in some (not all yet) 7/11's :cheers:
iqa682eca269ea961d17837e21a3d74113.jpg
(129.08 KiB) Downloaded 57573 times
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks. It'll appear more and more I'm sure.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

Be careful of products labeled zero sugar. Sugar is often substitute with other sweeteners with carbs.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

sateeb wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:59 pm
HHTel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:57 pm "The zero sugar lemon drinks from Schweppes and Singha go very well with the Bombay"

I've seen the zero cal Schweppe's Manao in some (not all yet) 7/11's :cheers:
iqa682eca269ea961d17837e21a3d74113.jpg
Oh wow! The original was something I enjoyed often, but I gave it up when I realized how much sugar and carbs one little can contains. I haven’t seen these zero sugar ones yet. I hope they don’t have any carbs. If they don’t, I found my new mixer. Getting tired of plain old Singha soda water.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The nutrition for Singha Lemon Soda:

Nutrient levels for 100 g

Energy 0 kj (0 kcal)
Fat 0 g
Saturated fat 0 g
Carbohydrates 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Fiber ?
Proteins 0 g
Salt 0 g

That ticks all the boxes for me.

On the other hand - Schweppes zero sugar lemon soda has calories (10), carbs (2mg), Sodium (30mg)
Last edited by HHTel on Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:49 pm The nutrition for Singha Lemon Soda:

Nutrient levels for 100 g

Energy 0 kj (0 kcal)
Fat 0 g
Saturated fat 0 g
Carbohydrates 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Fiber ?
Proteins 0 g
Salt 0 g

That ticks all the boxes for me.
Me too! I will give them a try! Thanks.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've never seen the Schweppes zero stuff - but these do the job and are Keto-friendly (there is also an orange one):

singha-lemon-soda-1536x584.jpg
(67.75 KiB) Downloaded 57488 times

Zero sugar drinks are starting to show up more, Sponsor and Double C etc, but you need to closely check what else is in them. Erythritol or Stevia is an ok replacement (doesn't spike insulin), not the chemical shite - the packaging can be very misleading ... "no added sugar" doesn't mean there isn't already sugar in it. Ideally, you want 3 zeros in that white info box and a little sodium (which you need more of on Keto).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The orange version, being another type of lemon, not orange. Personally, my preference is the yellow tin.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Almost two months off Keto now, and here are some observations:

Weight has stabilized at 75kg which is great because I thought I'd pile it on again after going back to carbs.
I'm hungrier more often than I was before and want to take snacks between meals (only have 2 meals per day). You don't have much of an appetite on Keto.
Overall energy levels have dropped a little, probably due to burning sugar instead of fat.
Beer is the killer, it bloats the shit out of you and adds weight fast - I'm trying to severely limit it (especially the Thai chemical crap).
Bowel movements are not as regular as they were before and I don't pee as much.

I haven't jumped into a full-carb diet and try to keep them under 50% (much less rice, and a slice or two of bread per day). I've also stayed off the sugar as much as possible and stuck to those zero mixer drinks. If the weight starts to climb, I know what to do - back to Keto!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well done! I went on Keto to reduce my blood sugar (it was high). Losing weight was an unexpected bonus. One of the best decisions I've made.