Getting around downtown

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Getting around downtown

Post by migrant »

We are staying in Bor Fai a while. Our large Toyota Revo works great in Bang Saphan, but not so in Hua Hin's downtown.
There are a lot of restaurants, and bars, I'd like to try but a tuk tuk from Bor Fai seems far, I find parking hard to get. I thought about finding a decent spot away from the madness and getting a tuk tuk, but wondering what others do.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Re: Getting around downtown

Post by Henry 14th »

migrant wrote:We are staying in Bor Fai a while. Our large Toyota Revo works great in Bang Saphan, but not so in Hua Hin's downtown.
There are a lot of restaurants, and bars, I'd like to try but a tuk tuk from Bor Fai seems far, I find parking hard to get. I thought about finding a decent spot away from the madness and getting a tuk tuk, but wondering what others do.
Use the GrabTaxi app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Like most Expats I never go downtown. The restaurants there are overpriced and poor quality and too noisy. Other areas out of town are much better.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HarryVardon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:53 am Like most Expats I never go downtown. The restaurants there are overpriced and poor quality and too noisy. Other areas out of town are much better.
I’d generally agree - most of the restaurants are aiming to attract the tourists rather than those living in the area, although there are of course exceptions and when we have visitors, it normally involves a visit to the night market for a seafood based meal.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Dannie Boy wrote:
HarryVardon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:53 am Like most Expats I never go downtown. The restaurants there are overpriced and poor quality and too noisy. Other areas out of town are much better.
I’d generally agree - most of the restaurants are aiming to attract the tourists rather than those living in the area, although there are of course exceptions and when we have visitors, it normally involves a visit to the night market for a seafood based meal.
Is there something I'm missing here after living here for 10 years? Going to the Nightmarket for a seafood meal? I did that a few times my first 2 years here, but I have to say, that location must be hugely overpriced compared to going other places. Seafood in Cha Am, Chao Samran, Khao Takiab, Pak Nam Pran etc are imo much better. Specially with regards to prices.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

YNWA
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Our large Toyota Revo works great in Bang Saphan, but not so in Hua Hin's downtown.
I have the same problem in that I don't like to drive the pickup around town so I just park at the edge of the town and walk to where I want to go. I realize it's hot but I walk for about two hours a day on the beach anyway so a bit more doesn't bother me much.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

huahin4ever wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:38 am
Dannie Boy wrote:
Is there something I'm missing here after living here for 10 years? Going to the Nightmarket for a seafood meal? I did that a few times my first 2 years here, but I have to say, that location must be hugely overpriced compared to going other places. Seafood in Cha Am, Chao Samran, Khao Takiab, Pak Nam Pran etc are imo much better. Specially with regards to prices.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
Well everybody to their own - our first-time visitors always seem to enjoy a visit to the night market to see what’s on offer in the market and the food is ok - there may be better/cheaper places, but you can combine a number of activities into one visit - it’s a one-off experience and then you can go to the other establishments as you wish.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:41 am
Our large Toyota Revo works great in Bang Saphan, but not so in Hua Hin's downtown.
I have the same problem in that I don't like to drive the pickup around town so I just park at the edge of the town and walk to where I want to go. I realize it's hot but I walk for about two hours a day on the beach anyway so a bit more doesn't bother me much.
Yes, I don't have a problem doing that but the wife.........

Besides the tourist traps I find there are still many good restaurants/ bars in the downtown area. Not a big drinker but do like to sometimes sit in the nightlife and watch it go by.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.