Thailand Immigration: TM30 24 hour reporting thread

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Thailand Immigration: TM30 24 hour reporting thread

Post by Ratsima »

Next week I'm going on a four day live aboard dive trip. The boat leaves from and returns to Songkhla. However, we will spend three days and four nights diving at Losin, which is in Pattani Province. If I were inclined to report, which I'm not, I supposed I'd somehow have to do so via TM28 to Immigration/Police in Pattani within 24 hours of arrival at Losin. I suppose if the boat were inclined to report, which I'm sure they're not, they'd owe a TM30 (or two) to Pattani Immigration.

All this further complicated by the fact that Malaysia also claims Losin as part of their territory.

Losin
losin.jpg
losin.jpg (95.23 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

GOV’T TO SCRAP ARRIVAL CARDS FOR FOREIGNERS, INTRODUCE TM30 APP

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/busi ... -tm30-app/

BANGKOK — A senior government official said Tuesday foreign visitors will soon no longer have to fill out “TM6” arrival and departure forms.

Kobsak Pootrakool, deputy sec-gen to the Prime Minister, also touted a mobile application in the works for 24-hour reporting under the TM30 form system, which has been a source of controversy in recent months. Kobsak said both changes are designed to attract more visitors and accommodate those already living in the kingdom.

“We made the decision last Friday. Within two to three months, life will be much easier [for foreign tourists and expats],” Kobsak said.

He spoke at a gala dinner to celebrate the fifth anniversary of Elite Plus Magazine at a hotel in Bangkok on Tuesday evening, where audience members included ambassadors from ten or so countries.

Explaining the government’s decision, Kobsak said arrival and departure forms for tourists, known as TM6 forms, have led to a storage problems. The government expects a total of 20 million visitors to Thailand this year.

“[The immigration police] have to have a huge warehouse to store these papers,” Kobsak said, adding that the police rarely look at the information in the forms, which are only stored “just in case.”

He also said the government and the immigration police agreed last Friday to streamline other procedures. Foreigners will be able to report their whereabouts with just “four clicks” on a smartphone to fulfill regulations that require them to report to immigration authorities every 90 days.

But the cherry on top seems to the revelation that the police are developing a mobile phone application for the infamous TM30 form, which requires foreign residents and their Thai landlords to file a report to the police every time the former spends a night outside their registered province.

Deputy immigration commander Nattapon Sawaengkit confirmed the move on Wednesday when reached for comment, but assigned another officer to explain the details.

The officer, who declined to give his name, gave little information other than hinting that QR codes will likely be used.

“The apps are not finished yet. QR codes will likely be used but it’s not concrete yet. It will likely be on a smartphone,” the officer said.

Harsher enforcement of TM30 forms has recently driven expats in Thailand to air their grievances on social media. They say the 40-year-old regulation is outdated and should be amended or scrapped entirely.

The European Association for Business and Commerce, which represents European firms and businesses in Thailand, also urged reforms to TM30 in a statement to Kobsak yesterday.

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday night, Kobsak said the law will still remain on the books, but pledged to end foreigners’ discontent with the form. He also acknowledged the government should do better in attracting foreign investment and manpower.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think they are missing the point that many object to this level of scrutiny however it is carried out. It certainly seems to be moving beyond any claims that it is in the national interest to enhance security. More than one critical report has pointed out that self-reporting is never going to catch the bad guy's, as is blindingly obvious.
Talk is cheap
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

This is hilarious. There are already smartphone apps for the TM6 and TM30, and for the 90 day report.

Reminds me of a government job I once had. People who were payees for certain Federal beneficiaries had to file a report every year as to how they used the funds they received. At one time I happened to be in the basement of our headquarters building in Baltimore. There were huge boxes stuffed with papers stacked to the ceiling. What did they contain? Payee reports. In no particular order. Unretrievable. Absolutely useless.

This is what happens when a report is legally mandated but no one wants to pay for their actual use.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Maybe one day they'll invent the computer!!
“[The immigration police] have to have a huge warehouse to store these papers,”
Speaking to reporters on Tuesday night, Kobsak said the law will still remain on the books,
Look at all the silly laws that remain on the books in the UK. But of course never used.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Maybe they should combine with the DMV. I crossed a white line divider in my car, I now have a fine of 500 baht mailed to me within two weeks to my address in my name. When they want the money they can be efficient...
วินเชนท์
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

On August 8th I applied for the online TM30 reporting in name of my wife. Now, after 6 weeks the status is still "waiting for email confirmation". Did not somebody say, that it will take 1 week???
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ours was within 24 hours. Luck of the draw, I guess.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

The moaning was successful. Today I got Username and Password.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:thumb:

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Have tried to use the online facility 5 times this evening - each time it reported an error in Phase 1. :banghead:

I guess its Immigration in the morning.

Points 51; Position 21
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Not sure how the process of the Tm 30 is supposed to work over the weekends with respect to the 24 hour requirement. If you have guests flying in late Friday night or Saturday it becomes an issue. Impossible to complete the form in advance as you can't fulfil the arrival card details. Still awaiting online access.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s been mentioned in a number of reports that reporting on the following Monday is acceptable, similarly on the next working day after a public holiday.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

I allow me to ask if someone know if 24 hour reporting can be done at the Immigration office at Blueport ( Stay more than 24 hour in Hua Hin but not permanently move here or change address )

Thank you
hahuahin
limbu

Post by limbu »

Hahuahin wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:16 am I allow me to ask if someone know if 24 hour reporting can be done at the Immigration office at Blueport ( Stay more than 24 hour in Hua Hin but not permanently move here or change address )

Thank you
hahuahin
Yes you can. I've done 24 hour reporting 3 or 4 times at Bluport in the last few months.