Thai passport renewal ... 10 years?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai passport renewal ... 10 years?

Post by HHTel »

Edit the above. My daughter just pointed out that she didn't need her tabien baan. Just her ID and old passport.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:23 pm Edit the above. My daughter just pointed out that she didn't need her tabien baan. Just her ID and old passport.
My wife needs to renew her passport soon. I assume the above info from the previous posts is still accurate?

All she'll need is her current passport, ID and filled in form which she'll get at the passport office in Petchaburi. Is that correct?

Thanks for any confirmation.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, simple as that. She won't receive her passport that day, but it will arrive in the post a couple of days later. Really easy. In and out in 10 minutes.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

To confirm the above at Petchaburi.

An excellent service and we were in and out in about 15 mins (BB beat us by 5 mins). Passport is expected in 3-5 working days. 10 years for 1,500 THB and 40 odd THB for EMS delivery.

Why cant the UK be like that?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Thai passport renewal ... 10 years?

Post by Dannie Boy »

Later this year my wife and I will be visiting the UK so in preparation I started to check everything. Tickets already booked, she has a UK visit visa valid until April next year, although her passport runs out 31/1/25. Checking online about passports, it was easy to find that your passport needs to have a minimum of 6 months validity- when we travel out yes, but by the date we return less than 4 months. Trying to clarify exactly how the rules are implemented using Google was proving difficult so we called Thai Airways (who we’re flying with) and after checking the person we were speaking to, confirmed that the passport also needed to have 6 months validity on the date we return.

Just posting this in case anyone might be in similar circumstances.

We’re off to the passport office in Phetchaburi tomorrow to apply for a new one. Separately I also confirmed that the visa in my wife’s old passport is still valid for travel.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:07 pm after checking the person we were speaking to, confirmed that the passport also needed to have 6 months validity on the date we return.

Just posting this in case anyone might be in similar circumstances.
I would dispute this. although if it was me, I'd have most likely done what you've done and renewed before travel.

When living in the UK, we let my wife's Thai passport expire (she had a UK passport anyway). When we wanted to return to Thailand to live, for obvious reasons, I did not want her travelling on her UK passport. The Thai embassy in the UK confirmed it was acceptable to travel (to Thailand only) on her expired passport, which she did with no problem.

The Thai Embassy basically said it would be easier to renew when she got back to Thailand, and weren't really interested in renewing.

My wife travelled on an expired passport, and my son travelled on a certificate of identity (I didn't want him arriving with a UK passport either).

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I did read about traveling on an expired passport but what I didn’t want to risk is turning up at BKK to fly out and someone saying your wife’s passport won’t have 6 months validity when you return and therefore we’re denying you to fly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, exactly why I'd have gone down the same road as you. In my wife's case, the Embassy didn't want to renew, so I followed their advice. However, I did check with the airline first - they are the ones with the power to say no.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

All I can say is that I wish all Thai Government offices ran as smoothly as the Passport office in Petchaburi - we were there for opening time of 10.00am, as we walked in a woman gave my wife the application form to complete - hand in at the desk and after a couple of minor adjustments it was “follow me” to a small room with finger print, eye scanning and camera equipment and five minutes later it was finished. All we had to do was pay the B1,500 for the 10 year visa plus B40 for EMS. The woman even advised that if we wanted to, after receiving the new passport (in 3-4 days) we could bring both passports back and they would endorse the new passport with something referring to the UK visa in the old passport (although according to the UK Gov website this is not necessary so might not do so).

Overall, a 10 out of 10 service that is thoroughly recommended and a 1,000% easier than having to go to Bangkok as previously.

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'd second that. Took my daughter to renew her Thai passport a few months ago. I left her at the office and wandered off for a coffee. She arrived before I'd had a chance to drink the coffee. All done. Super efficient.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Good to know, my son's Thai passport is out next month and this sure beats driving all the way to Suratthani.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It really is a doddle. Not like Thailand at all :duck:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Can you imagine trying to replicate a service like this in the UK?

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Actually, DB yes the UK can be really efficient.

I know it's not the right thread, so very briefly, they turned my renewal around in a day (although I didn't collect it for four). All online now.

Bear in mind that I did mine in January and I was 30 minutes away from a passport office.