Retirement Visa Extension and Wise (Transferwise)

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Retirement Visa Extension and Wise (Transferwise)

Post by STEVE G »

Ratsima wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:16 am I'm trying to imagine how both banks being open would affect a transfer. In may case I had transferred money to Wise a month ago, but didn't do the transfer right away. So, they already had my money. I initiated the transfer from Wise to Bangkok Bank at an hour when Bangkok Bank would have been open. Still, it took four days.
I don't understand it either but I can get almost immediate transfers now if you time it right.
Big Boy

Re: Retirement Visa Extension and Transferwise

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:33 pm I've been checking my receipt. They've definitely cocked mine right up. Despite them knowing the money has to go direct to Kasikorn, they've put the money into Bangkok Bank again. Reading previous receipts I can see the pattern forming. I'm quite busy on a Tuesday, so know I'll be chasing my own tail on Wednesday to obtain my Credit Advice. I suppose it'll give me something useful to do. I now see all of the information is on the Wise receipt, so I'll try to by-pass Kasikorn this time, and go straight to Bangkok Bank.
Wise are an absolute arse when they cock-up :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

2 hour story, cut very short:

- Bangkok Bank won't do anything without a statement from Kasikorn.
- Kasikorn Head Office are thinking about it, and will phone me in 3 days.

I am not pleased. Bureaucracy gone mad :cuss:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

I was listening to a podcast today and learnt a new phrase. A guy talking about Thai citizenship process said "you must understand Thai government workers. Their top priority is to produce all the required paperwork exactly as required, they do not want the upper levels returning jobs because of mistakes with paperwork. The govt workers call this work goal 'eksan suay' = beautiful paperwork

So remember - they want beautiful papers
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There’s obviously a financial advantage in using Wise, but I’d be very tempted to go back to bank transfer, at least you know that the money will arrive exactly as you expect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, that isn't an option - the financial advantages are too big. I have to pay for an operation later this month, so sent a lot more money this time. To have done so by bank to bank transfer would have cost me £00s more. Wise are an arse, and it's a real pain sorting it, which I will, but the financial savings are too considerable to ignore.

The money always arrives as expected. The problem is chasing the bit of paper for immigration to file away each month when they get it wrong.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm about to embark on the crusade again today, chasing Wise's cock-up. Problem has now compounded because Kasikorn HQ have failed to provide the necessary information by close of play last Friday as promised.

This is still a warning to those of you who don't chase your Credit Advice notifications monthly. Wise do actually tell you when they've cocked up. If anybody is interested, I can explain how to spot they've cocked up for transfers to Kasikorn.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, what can I say? I even took my best Assertive Head out of the locker for this one.

1. I went to Kasikorn Bank and told my sad story to the clerk. She was shocked that I'd been promised a phone call by Friday, but hadn't received it.

2. Kasikorn clerk phoned HQ, introduced me, and handed over the phone. I repeated my sad story. Again, the girl at the other end was shocked that I hadn't received my phone call. She put me on hold while she checked it out.

3. Girl at HQ tracked down last week's phone person and connects the 2 of us. Girl says I must have the wrong phone number registered with the bank. I explained that I get an SMS every time somebody farts at Kasikorn, so how come the bank can manage that umpteen times every day? She is adamant she tried to call, and I am adamant I didn't have any missed calls. Long story short, she had the number I needed, which she read out, and I wrote down, She said take that to Bangkok Bank and they would help.

4. Went to Bangkok Bank, saw the same girl I'd seen last week, and she was ever so helpful. Told me to take a seat, and my Credit Advice would be faxed through while I waited. 10 minutes later I was on my way to my car with Credit Advice in hand. The girl even kept apologising for taking so long.

So it's 3 more Credit Advices and I can cash them in for another visa extension.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've noticed that every time you have this problem, BB, you always give Bangkok Bank a 'thumbs up' for their help.

I've been with Bangkok Bank for 20+ years and I rarely have a problem and when I do, it's sorted very quickly.

Time to change your bank, maybe!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not always. The little branch next to Market Village have been brilliant each time I've been in there. The Bluport branch basically threw me out because I didn't have an account with them. They couldn't have been more obnoxious.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That puts a different light on the bank. I've always had my account in HH. Main branch office have always been professional but I've always used the one next to MV since it opened and like yourself, I've found very helpful.

Note to me: Don't go to the Bluport office of Bangkok Bank!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just implemented a transfer from the UK via 'Wise' (I do this around the same time every month).

I was happy with the rate but now only guaranteed for 3 hours whereas before it was around 48 hours.
The biggest change was after accepting my money, they inform me that it will be paid in 2 days. Is this the end of immediate transfers. I've had transfers using Transferwise in a matter of minutes.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you're using the monthly transfer method for your visa extension, that is the first sign it is cocking up in respect of receiving bank in Thailand. Each time they've cocked up for me, I've had the longer transfer period quoted, and it's been a Bank Holiday. I think you've said, HHTel that you bank with Bangkok Bank anyway, so should be OK. However, if using a different Thai bank, I think the money gets transferred to Bangkok Bank initially, and is passed to the named bank after the holiday.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:Just implemented a transfer from the UK via 'Wise' (I do this around the same time every month).

I was happy with the rate but now only guaranteed for 3 hours whereas before it was around 48 hours.
The biggest change was after accepting my money, they inform me that it will be paid in 2 days. Is this the end of immediate transfers. I've had transfers using Transferwise in a matter of minutes.
Would it have been immediate if today was not a bank holiday?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Maybe it's only government holiday not bank holiday, as usual. I was thinking they made it one of the Covid specials.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Fortunately BB, I use money in the bank. After reading your posts on the matter, I'm quite thankful I don't have to suffer that.

With regards to bank holidays, I have in the past had money arrive in my HH bank on a Saturday.