Songkran road carnage thread 2019

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Songkran road carnage thread 2019

Post by buksida »

Here we go again ...

46 ROAD DEATHS ON SONGKRAN’S 1ST ‘DANGEROUS DAY’
Nearly 500 road accidents killed 46 people on the first day of the season known as the “seven dangerous days” of Songkran.

The disaster department today said drunk driving was the No.1 cause of the accidents Thursday throughout the country, followed by speeding. Nearly 80 percent of the accidents, which injured 482 people, involved motorcycles.

Officials said more than 163,000 people were arrested and charged with violations of traffic law yesterday.

The seven-day period of the long traditional holiday infamous for high road carnage began Thursday and will last through Wednesday.

In 2018, the number of people killed in road accidents during the annual seven-day span was 418, slightly lower than the decade-high death toll of 442 in 2016.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... erous-day/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Re: Songkran road carnage thread 2019

Post by pitsch »

They always write about the most dangerous days, but the average death rate is 60 per day, so Songkran has less deaths.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

When a plane goes down and 200+ people are killed it is world-wide news. In Thai over 400 people are killed each week in traffic accidents or should I say, traffic inevitabilities. That is like 2 planes going down EVERY WEEK. But it is just accepted.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Last year, the average per day dead count, on the roads, was 55+ per day. So as usual, Songkran is actually safer, or about the same risk, as daily driving, and if not on a scooter, then you hedge your bet of staying alive almost 3 or 4 fold. Usually 75 ish % perish while on a scooter, both daily, and during Songkran.

But does make for good headliners, for those that read such. 46 better than 55 :thumb:

And yes, one is too many. :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

If noticed the Bangkok Post has stopped reporting on this - in fact it has been very selective lately ...

105 road fatalities on first two days of Songkran
Nearly 1,000 road accidents occurred in the first two days of the “Seven Dangerous Days” of Songkran this year.

On Thursday and Friday, 105 people killed and 1,001 injured in 969 road accidents, said Worawit Techasupakur, an assistant minister to the Tourist and Sport Minister, on Saturday. Nationwide, Nakhon Si Thammarat recorded the highest number of accident at 43, while Lop Buri had the most fatalities at seven and Nakhon Ratchasima recorded the highest number of injuries at 50.

According to the statistics, most of the accidents took place on highways and roads in villages and sub-districts. Authorities have urged provinces to put restrictive measures in all main, minor as well as community roads, including roads around midnight Songkran events, he said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30367651
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

2,294 vehicles impounded, 71,307 charged for drink-driving in 3 days
Published: 14/04/2019 at 11:34 AM
Online news: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

Officials have charged a total of 71,307 people for drink-driving and impounded 2,294 vehicles between April 11-13, the first three days of campaigning against drink-driving, National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) deputy spokesperson Col Sirichan Ngathong said on Sunday.

Of the total, 44,024 have been charged with violating the traffic regulation against drink-driving with motorcycles and 27,283 with public transport and private cars.

Col Sirichan said altogether 2,294 vehicles have been impounded, but did not go into detail.

She said that on April 13 alone there were 32,772 offences involving motorcycles; 973 motorcycles were impounded and 24,866 people charged with drink-driving.

On the same day, there were 25,446 offences involving public transport and private cars; 330 vehicles were impounded and 15,049 people charged with drink-driving.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This figure always dumbfounds me. 71,307 charged with drink driving, 2,294 vehicles impounded. To my simple mind, that means >69K drunk drivers were allowed to continue their journey drunk :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Replacement driver in the vehicle as a passenger perhaps?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe, but 69K times out of 71K?.......................... tea money paid more likely.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

2018 was up on 2017 and so far the first 2 days this year is up on last year!!

Despite their warnings, preventative policies, 'strict enforcement' etc etc. they're making negative progress.

2 days 2018 = 102 deaths
2 days 2019 = 105 deaths

Well done, Thailand!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpnmP5vjAM.jpg
phpnmP5vjAM.jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 792 times

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... f-songkran
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Never know which figures to accept. I looked at a different site and first 2 days last year showed 102 deaths and 105 for the same days this year.

You can never tell which is the most accurate!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just checked the site I got my figures from. It's the same source. Their chart published last year contradicts the one you've posted above. Even individual sources differ with themselves!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:01 pm Just checked the site I got my figures from. It's the same source. Their chart published last year contradicts the one you've posted above. Even individual sources differ with themselves!!

The ones writing it up are probably all drunk, and most probably just getting ready to drive home!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Anyone with any sense, will get the beer/wine/whisky in and just sit on their porch, with the car or motorcycle locked in the garage for these days of Songkran.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.