Euro 2020

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Re: Euro 2020

Post by Big Boy »

Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:33 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:18 am And talking of mindless twats, there were also these “fans” causing problems
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57799271
I'm Welsh and it's a fecking embarrassment..... The frightening thing though, is that it always was going to be, win or lose. WHY?
Unfortunately there’s a small but sizable minority who have a complete disregard for the law and behave accordingly. Drifting off subject a bit, when I have nothing better to do I sometimes watch programmes like Traffic Cops and Police Interceptors and in some area when a speeding young villain gets apprehended (often drink or drug related), within seconds the police will be surrounded by yobs giving two or one finger gestures to the police and cameras - they just don’t care about anything, so it’s no surprise that fueled up youths behave this way. I’m not sure what the answer is - a short sharp shock would be my solution but there’s no way our nanny state wants to do anything like that. Too may of us can probably remember when stepping out of line would have resulted in a clip around the ear and you’d have been sent packing!!
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:28 am It was all down to Southgate's reluctance to bring on fresh legs with a couple of game changing subs when they were needed that was the difference. I guess after his own experiences, he always had one eye on bringing his 'penalty takers' on at the end. What an inspired move that was, not!!! Rashford and Sancho had been sat on their arses for a couple of hours, and it was their first touch of a football in that time. Then after his own penalty disaster, why put a young kid as anchorman?
This - in spades.

Mancini started making subs and freshening things up after 55 mins. Even when Southgate made his first two subs (which was too late, IMHO) he didn't really change the shape, tactics or outlook of the team at all.

Grealish started to make a a difference but it was a bit late already. Only bringing two of your subs on for penalties is a waste of the concept of substitutions, if you ask me and as we saw, it spectacularly backfired.

Anyway, Italy were the better team overall and deserved the victory in the end.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

pharvey wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:04 am I actually thought the keeper couldn't move before the penalty taker moved and also the penalty taker couldn't "dummy" or pause/stop his run - what's happened there then?
According to Law 14 - The Penalty Kick, keepers can move around as much as they like before the kick, so long as they a) don't touch the goal frame or net and cause them to be moving when the kick is taken, and b) have one foot on or above the line when the kick is taken.

The kicker is allowed to dummy or pause during the run-up, they just aren't allowed to feint to kick the ball once they've completed their run-up.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

We can all play the Monday morning quarterback but to put the pressure on a young kid like Saka to take a critical penalty was madness. That was the time when the capt. says bollox to the playbook and put forward a more senior player like Sterling or Grealish. Just a thought.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^^^

The whole penalty set-up was a mistake in my opinion, but on another day they'd have buried them all and it would be a Southgate 'masterclass'. Same with the Henderson/Rice switch. Complete and total failure on the day but...

Most disappointing for me though was the similarities to the Croatia semi final. It seems we learnt nothing. That game we went ahead. Lost the midfield. Chased the ball and defended for 70 odd minutes and eventually got dumped.

Was just the same last night except we lost the midfield earlier and chased the ball for longer. Yet Southgate still seemed reluctant to make any tactical changes.

Ho hum. Always next time anyway. :D
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Lost wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:23 pm Most disappointing for me though was the similarities to the Croatia semi final. It seems we learnt nothing. That game we went ahead. Lost the midfield. Chased the ball and defended for 70 odd minutes and eventually got dumped.

Was just the same last night except we lost the midfield earlier and chased the ball for longer. Yet Southgate still seemed reluctant to make any tactical changes.
Southgate is very one dimensional as a manager. His knowledge is defence. So we can play, 3. 4, 5 at the back and erm, two defensive midfielders. Attack as the first line of defence doesn't seem to be in his vocabulary.

Mancini is a proven winner. He can change tactics and players at will and just as Denmark did, when he worked out his tactics at the start weren't going to work, he changed and the Italians took the game. The only response from England was to be pushed deeper and deeper. There was no response from Southgate to change tactics or personnel until far too late, as we have seen before.

Where were the senior players stepping up to take the penalties?

Southgate has done a great job in taking England forward, especially behind the scenes, but he lacks that something that great managers have. He should stand aside now as he has taken England as far as his ability and limited managerial experience can. And as he's a decent thinking person, I suspect he knows that.
Talk is cheap
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

caller wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:21 pm
Lost wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:23 pm Most disappointing for me though was the similarities to the Croatia semi final. It seems we learnt nothing. That game we went ahead. Lost the midfield. Chased the ball and defended for 70 odd minutes and eventually got dumped.

Southgate is very one dimensional as a manager. His knowledge is defence. So we can play, 3. 4, 5 at the back and erm, two defensive midfielders. Attack as the first line of defence doesn't seem to be in his vocabulary.

Mancini is a proven winner. He can change tactics and players at will and just as Denmark did, when he worked out his tactics at the start weren't going to work, he changed and the Italians took the game. The only response from England was to be pushed deeper and deeper. There was no response from Southgate to change tactics or personnel until far too late, as we have seen before.

Where were the senior players stepping up to take the penalties?

Southgate has done a great job in taking England forward, especially behind the scenes, but he lacks that something that great managers have. He should stand aside now as he has taken England as far as his ability and limited managerial experience can. And as he's a decent thinking person, I suspect he knows that.
I totally agree, to score one excellent goal, then sit back and defend is not good management, especially against the experience of the Italian team.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:45 am Too may of us can probably remember when stepping out of line would have resulted in a clip around the ear and you’d have been sent packing!!
And begging that local copper not to tell your parents..... :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

England's finest. Shit heads!!!!

YNWA

YNWA
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

And another example of the mindless idiots!! I’m not sure whether this is specifically racist, or whether they’d have done something similar if it had been either of the Harry’s who had missed their penalties? I just hope that the perpetrators get caught and sentenced.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-57803161
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

To be honest, for a nation that should be proud of themselves for reaching the final of a major tournament (sadly England didn't win it), England haven't really shown it have they? Petulant players beyond belief - led by Captain Kane literally tossing their medals..... and a fair number of so called supporters who's greatest talent seems to be booing opponents National Anthems, players and fans then abusing their own when they lose - sorry, fecking pathetic.

Wales (and yes I'm biased) were given major kudos for not only the way the team performed in Euro 2016, but the way the fans behaved - "We Welsh" were and are extremely proud to have reached the "Semi's" then and reached the last 16 in this tournament - why aren't England? As I've said, you should be bloody proud, some of us haven't got that close!!

"A number of England's Euro 2020 team were quick to remove their runners-up medals after they lost out to Italy in the final on Sunday night.

England's goal scorer, Luke Shaw, as well as Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Mason Mount and Kalvin Phillips, were among a number of stars who quickly took off their silver medals after the game.

Captain Harry Kane was the first player to receive his silver medal and appeared (YEAH RIGHT :roll: ) to be preparing to remove or adjust it before he exited out of shot of the TV camera." "

Good God, my 6 year old nephew acts better!!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:58 pm To be honest, for a nation that should be proud of themselves for reaching the final of a major tournament (sadly England didn't win it), England haven't really shown it have they? Petulant players beyond belief - led by Captain Kane literally tossing their medals..... and a fair number of so called supporters who's greatest talent seems to be booing opponents National Anthems, players and fans then abusing their own when they lose - sorry, fecking pathetic.

Wales (and yes I'm biased) were given major kudos for not only the way the team performed in Euro 2016, but the way the fans behaved - "We Welsh" were and are extremely proud to have reached the "Semi's" then and reached the last 16 in this tournament - why aren't England? As I've said, you should be bloody proud, some of us haven't got that close!!

"A number of England's Euro 2020 team were quick to remove their runners-up medals after they lost out to Italy in the final on Sunday night.

England's goal scorer, Luke Shaw, as well as Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Mason Mount and Kalvin Phillips, were among a number of stars who quickly took off their silver medals after the game.

Captain Harry Kane was the first player to receive his silver medal and appeared (YEAH RIGHT :roll: ) to be preparing to remove or adjust it before he exited out of shot of the TV camera." "

Good God, my 6 year old nephew acts better!!
I totally agree, one bonsus of England losing I did not have drunken idiots going past our flats 3 hours later screaming and shouting, as happened in the semi finals.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Whether it's at sporting or political events, this type of behavior is world wide. There is a general disregard for authority and societal norms. It used to be, one would disagree and get on with one's life, now it seems that everybody has to protest against something, otherwise there is no relevancy to their lives.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Well this thread quickly turned into an almighty let's shit on the English kinda vibe. Social media doing its thing again. :roll:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.