BBC Filming in Hua Hin - Macaques

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
AbiBrown
Rookie
Rookie

BBC Filming in Hua Hin - Macaques

Post by AbiBrown »

Hi,

I work for the BBC Natural History Unit in the UK and we are hoping to come to Hua Hin in the coming months to film the troops of long-tailed macaques that are seen both at the beach and at the Wat Khao Takiap temple.

I'd be interested in talking to anybody who regularly sees these monkeys in these locations. The main behaviour we are hoping to film is the macaques swimming and jumping from cliffs into the sea as in this youtube video -

Has anybody seen the macaques jumping into the sea like in this video recently? Or knows a reliable location to see them swimming in the sea? If so, please do get in touch! Any information would be useful.

My email is abi.brown@bbc.co.uk

Thank you so much, any help anyone can give would be very much appreciated.

Abigail Brown
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: BBC Filming in Hua Hin - Macaques

Post by caller »

Welcome to the forum and Hua Hin. Sadly the numbers of these animals in the locale is now making them a pest. It might be worth your while looking at how the authorities here are trying to deal with the problem.

Also, a little further south is 'monkey island', off of Sam Roi Yod beach, also known as Dolphin Bay. It's a good few years since I last visited the island, but the monkeys were much more timid and had to be coaxed down to the islands beach by fruit, but it was fascinating to see them leaping and swimming out to low lying rocks, where they would attack barnacles and the like with stones to get to the meat.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There is also Monkey Island within Kaeng Krachan National Park, where the monkeys will swim out to your boat.

Also as you go down the hill towards the Chinese Temple at Khao Takiap, there's a water tank, which when full, the monkeys climb the big tree beside it and dive into the water tank - great fun. Alas, the tank has only contained a little water the last few times I've been there, but hey, who knows, if the BBC are in town, they might fill it especially.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

The video,whenever shot is from very close to the standing Budha,at KT beach.
If you drive up the hill towards the temple,and turn back on yourself go down where the popular thai seafood restaurant is,the view from the car park down below to the rocks and where the majority of monkeys sunbathe and play is extremely good.In addition go and visit the old grizzly Macaque,been there a while that attempts to steal food from diners plates until the good old labrador barks at seaside restaurant.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

I have seen the monkeys (Crab-eating Macqaque?) playing in the sea on a number of occasions. the footage in the youtube clip is quite spectacular, I have usually seen the youngsters splashing around ducking each other, and jumping from rock to rock at low tide. The adults pulling shellfish off the rocks. They also like to play on fishing boats but they are rarely moored at this beach location now.

You could however visit this location many times and not see them playing in the sea, they are always around on the hilltop and as previously mentioned the size of the population has been a problem in the last few years and is being controlled. There is currently a lot of construction in this area which is adversely affecting the environment.

Kind regards
Sabai Jai
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That video was taken 5 or 6 years ago and I doubt whether you'll see such scenes there now. Because of the damage to boats and the problems with restaurants, they were moved some time ago to the other side of the mountain where they are kept in a limited area. Of course you still get the 'rogues' but they are soon rounded up.
AbiBrown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AbiBrown »

caller wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:10 pm Welcome to the forum and Hua Hin. Sadly the numbers of these animals in the locale is now making them a pest. It might be worth your while looking at how the authorities here are trying to deal with the problem.

Also, a little further south is 'monkey island', off of Sam Roi Yod beach, also known as Dolphin Bay. It's a good few years since I last visited the island, but the monkeys were much more timid and had to be coaxed down to the islands beach by fruit, but it was fascinating to see them leaping and swimming out to low lying rocks, where they would attack barnacles and the like with stones to get to the meat.
Thank you so much for your response. The 'Monkey Island' you refer to - is that Kho Ram Island or Nom Sao Island?
AbiBrown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AbiBrown »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:14 pm There is also Monkey Island within Kaeng Krachan National Park, where the monkeys will swim out to your boat.

Also as you go down the hill towards the Chinese Temple at Khao Takiap, there's a water tank, which when full, the monkeys climb the big tree beside it and dive into the water tank - great fun. Alas, the tank has only contained a little water the last few times I've been there, but hey, who knows, if the BBC are in town, they might fill it especially.
Thank you so much for your response. The 'Monkey Island' you mention - I am assuming this isn't the same Monkey Island as mentioned above, as Kaeng Krachan National Park is inland? Can you give me more information on where this island is? Thank you! That's also great to know about the water tank.
AbiBrown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AbiBrown »

Thistle wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:19 pm The video,whenever shot is from very close to the standing Budha,at KT beach.
If you drive up the hill towards the temple,and turn back on yourself go down where the popular thai seafood restaurant is,the view from the car park down below to the rocks and where the majority of monkeys sunbathe and play is extremely good.In addition go and visit the old grizzly Macaque,been there a while that attempts to steal food from diners plates until the good old labrador barks at seaside restaurant.
Thank you so much for your response, that's really helpful. Can I ask when you last saw the monkeys from this viewpoint? Do you know if they visit this spot regularly - daily, weekly or less often? Many thanks!
AbiBrown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AbiBrown »

Sabai Jai wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:44 am I have seen the monkeys (Crab-eating Macqaque?) playing in the sea on a number of occasions. the footage in the youtube clip is quite spectacular, I have usually seen the youngsters splashing around ducking each other, and jumping from rock to rock at low tide. The adults pulling shellfish off the rocks. They also like to play on fishing boats but they are rarely moored at this beach location now.

You could however visit this location many times and not see them playing in the sea, they are always around on the hilltop and as previously mentioned the size of the population has been a problem in the last few years and is being controlled. There is currently a lot of construction in this area which is adversely affecting the environment.

Kind regards
Sabai Jai
Thank you so much for your response. Yes, you're correct, they're crab-eating macaques. Can I ask how often you see them playing in the sea at this rocky area? When was the last time you saw them swimming in the sea there? From what you say, it doesn't sound like it's something you could witness every day? Thank you!
AbiBrown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AbiBrown »

HHTel wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:02 pm That video was taken 5 or 6 years ago and I doubt whether you'll see such scenes there now. Because of the damage to boats and the problems with restaurants, they were moved some time ago to the other side of the mountain where they are kept in a limited area. Of course you still get the 'rogues' but they are soon rounded up.
Thank you so much for your response. That's a shame but I can understand what a nuisance they could become!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

AbiBrown wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:10 pm
Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:14 pm There is also Monkey Island within Kaeng Krachan National Park, where the monkeys will swim out to your boat.

Thank you so much for your response. The 'Monkey Island' you mention - I am assuming this isn't the same Monkey Island as mentioned above, as Kaeng Krachan National Park is inland? Can you give me more information on where this island is? Thank you! That's also great to know about the water tank.
Yes, Kaeng Krachan National Park is known for a huge man made lake/reservoir. There are several islands in the lake. If you take a boat out to the islands, the monkeys will jump into the lake and swim out to your boat hoping for food. I;ll see if I can find a video.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

AbiBrown wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:08 pmThank you so much for your response. The 'Monkey Island' you refer to - is that Kho Ram Island or Nom Sao Island?
Ko or Kho Ram.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Kaeng Krachan monkeys in the lake:

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

AbiBrown wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:08 pm
caller wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:10 pm Welcome to the forum and Hua Hin. Sadly the numbers of these animals in the locale is now making them a pest. It might be worth your while looking at how the authorities here are trying to deal with the problem.

Thank you so much for your response. The 'Monkey Island' you refer to - is that Kho Ram Island or Nom Sao Island?
It's Kho Ram Island and the monkeys aren't timid any more. I guess that since more and more people have been going out there, they have become accustomed to human contact (and to being fed). I went out there about two years ago and they were all over the boat we were on, as soon as it approached the beach.