The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (In Sport)

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (In Sport)

Post by pharvey »

OK, as a Welshman and a rugby supporter I'm biased on this initial post, but for me this past weekend highlighted some of the good and bad in sport.

The Good:-

Rugby - 6 Nations Wales vs England.

And no, I'm not trying to rub in a Welsh victory, this was a match played and supported with huge passion and respect. Ferocious on the pitch and aside I'm sure from the odd Saturday night rumble off it, a great spectacle - it's what the sport and viewing public wants and needs. Hats off to both teams and sets of supporters. :thumb:

Add to that, better UK TV viewing figures than Man U vs Chelsea's FA Cup tie - a little win for UK rugby!!

The Bad: -

Football - Carabao Cup Final, Man City vs Chelsea

Well, not the match itself, but the arrogance/petulance of Chelsea's Goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga..... (I did have to check the spelling :wink: ).Seriously though, WTF? The prima donna refuses to be substituted by the Chelsea Manager (Sarri), who rightly or wrongly believed the substitution would help Chelsea in the subsequent penalty shoot-out. Something they went onto lose... Oops!! Understandably Sarri is under pressure from previous results, but IMHO this pr*ck Kepa should be out on his @rse with immediate effect.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (In Sport)

Post by oakdale160 »

Another difference between the two sports is the respect that the players have for the referees and the control that they have. On the same line, the introduction of the sin-bin , which was imported from Ice Hockey, was a good move by the Rugby Union.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:37 pm Another difference between the two sports is the respect that the players have for the referees and the control that they have. On the same line, the introduction of the sin-bin , which was imported from Ice Hockey, was a good move by the Rugby Union.
Couldn't agree more on all points oakdale - hadn't realised the Sin Bin had come from Ice Hockey though. It's certainly done no harm to rugby, but can't see it coming into football anytime soon - personally I think it would be a good thing, especially with respect (or lack of) to referees.

Just as a note, open discussion to any and all sports... :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:23 pm ... the arrogance/petulance of Chelsea's Goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga..... (I did have to check the spelling :wink: ).Seriously though, WTF? The prima donna refuses to be substituted by the Chelsea Manager (Sarri)...
Didn't watch the match (and didn't miss much apparently), but this episode was made all the more ridiculous by Sarri letting him get away with it! All Sarri had to do was keep his cool and wait. And who's the Chelsea skipper? Another difference between rugby and football - the rugby team captain has far more influence on the game.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:56 pm Didn't watch the match (and didn't miss much apparently), but this episode was made all the more ridiculous by Sarri letting him get away with it! All Sarri had to do was keep his cool and wait. And who's the Chelsea skipper? Another difference between rugby and football - the rugby team captain has far more influence on the game.
Well, I guess you'll tell that I didn't watch the match myself either.... :wink: , but have certainly seen enough regarding this issue on the news/highlights. Have to agree the manager also handled all very badly - literally storming out of Wembley! Although I'm guessing he'll be heading down the road shortly after this!
I've not seen a great deal regarding the captain, but certainly agree with you.... what for the rest of the players? Player revolt, Manager to go?

If the Manager is at fault, surely this is above the players' decision - I bitch about my boss at times, but would be hung out to dry if I disrespected him in this manner... Just a thought!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

pharvey wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:47 amwhat for the rest of the players? Player revolt, Manager to go?
Apologies for quoting myself :oops: , but we had a bad few days in Welsh Rugby when there was a "Player Revolt" as most (including myself) saw it. This was not about money, but more that the (then) coach took all the plaudits, but refused the downside.... Different perhaps, but the players should never be allowed to control things and politics never allowed in sport (yes I know, the latter a pointless argument).