Passport renewal with visa extension approaching

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Passport renewal with visa extension approaching

Post by Big Boy »

My visa extension is 5 Jul 19, My passport expires 20 Jan 20. Do I have a problem, or can I extend my visa, and then renew my passport please?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Re: Passport Renewal

Post by lomuamart »

You can extend first but you'll only get the extension until 20th January 2020. You'll then have to extend again and get a full year from next January.
If you get a new passport first and get the stamps transferred, you'll get the full year from July 5th as normal.
Extensions now only last for as long as your passport's validity and you don't get the "extra time" with a new passport as you did a few years ago.
Big Boy

Re: Passport Renewal

Post by Big Boy »

OK, thank you very much.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Re: Passport renewal with visa extension approaching

Post by Big Boy »

Today was my 90 Day Report. The answer to my OP was given in plain English, without me even asking. I need to renew my passport now, or my visa extension will be refused.

I've no idea what the authority behind the statement was, but my next job today is to start the passport renewal process - I have 2 months and 4 days, starting now.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Is your passport nearing it's expiry date?
Have you insufficient pages left for the extension stamps?

Quite annoying having to renew if there is no valid reason. You don't get the unused portion returned on your new passport any more.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, BB. Just read your OP. July would still leave 6 months validity so it doesn't make sense. You now stand to lose the time from now until January. Previously, this would have been added on but it's all changed.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just found this:
when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry,
the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.
After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport,
you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ).
In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day.

Source: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/intro1.html
So in short, you don't have to renew your passport but your extension of stay will only be allowed up to the expiry date of your current passport.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, resistance is futile - I'm already on the case.

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes, that's mad what's happened to you, BB.
As we all know it's just so frustrating when individual officers can just make up rules ad hoc and why it's always been so difficult to give consistent visa advice.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No problem, it simply gives me focus, and it will be done :D

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

lomuamart wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:28 pm Yes, that's mad what's happened to you, BB.
As we all know it's just so frustrating when individual officers can just make up rules ad hoc and why it's always been so difficult to give consistent visa advice.
To be fair, this isn't a case of an individual making up the rules (for a change). It was announced in 2013 and is detailed on their website.
I'm glad BB brought it up which prompted me to check my passport. I'm okay for my next extension but I will need to renew in 2020 5 months ahead of expiry if I'm to get a full year.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

What was announced in 2013? That you couldn't get an extension beyond the validity of your passport?
If that's the case, I agree. It's what I said right up there before.
However, to be told that your next extension will be refused if there isn't a new passport, whilst the current is still valid, seems to go against the grain.
Maybe I've got this wrong, but even the link you supplied, HHTel, says it all.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The announcement which I showed above was made on August 13, 2013.

Prior to that, you would get the extension to the end of your current passport. When you got your new passport, you went back to immigration to have the stamp transferred to include the remainder of the year.

Now, you have to re-apply on receiving your new passport.

Where the IO was wrong is telling BB that his extension would be refused. It would not but would only be given up to the end of his current passport.

That's the way I understand it to be.

However, because of the changes to the financial requirements, it may have been modified. i.e. 2 months before and 3 months after the application. That would be difficult to enforce when not granted for a complete year.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thought that's what I said originally?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, Lomu, only read today's posts. Yes you did say as much back in Feb. Teach me to read the full thread.

Thinking about it though. The IO could well be right telling BB that he would have to renew his passport before his application. The new requirement for extension renewal is based on a full 12 months history. (at least for the next one) i.e. for cash in the bank, it has to be there 2 months before application, 3 months after and mustn't fall below 40K for the rest of the year. That could not be shown on a 'partial extension'. So I guess the new rules have to cover the full year.