The hidden clue on your dashboard you may not know about

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Now here is something much more important than how Immigration are going to kick everybody out of the country:
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

https://au.news.yahoo.com/hidden-clue-d ... 21430.html

If you’ve ever pulled up at a petrol station ready to refuel, only to find that your petrol cap is on the other side of the vehicle – this tip is sure to make your life a heck of a lot easier.

There is an easy way to tell what side of the car your fuel cap is on – and the best part? You don’t even have to leave your vehicle.
Hidden among dozens of icons on your dashboard is one symbol that will tell you which side to refuel on.

Conveniently located on or near your fuel gauge is a tiny picture of a petrol pump – and next to that pump is an arrow, pointing to the side of the car where the fuel cap is located.

While many may already know about the shortcut, hundreds of drivers have been enlightened by the information, which was shared in a Tweet over the weekend.
The symbol is usually located within the fuel gauge. Source: Getty
The symbol is usually located within the fuel gauge. Source: Getty
e7812ac72bebf4e7f83ba12dfe90c907.jpg (56.11 KiB) Viewed 663 times
“How long as that been there?” one man asked. “And I thought that I had been looking at fuel gauges all my life and never noticed it!”

“Wonderful info! My husband has been selling cars for 25 years, including owning his own dealership, and he has never told me this, lol! Makes me wonder if he even knows!” another Twitter user said.
DyY-n6xWwAAVhN3.jpg
DyY-n6xWwAAVhN3.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 663 times
In other road news, there are calls to scrap a new rule that requires NSW drivers to slow down to 40km/h around emergency services.
The trial was meant to last 12 months but less than half-way in, the Police Union and The NRMA say it is causing unnecessary danger on our high-speed motorways.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: The hidden clue on your dashboard you may not know about

Post by europtimiste »

I never noticed this arrow, but from the beginning I bought my car, I new which side is the fuel cap. Just open eyes and use brain...555
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

On all the cars I have driven over the years the 'filling' side has been indicated by which side of the pump the hose is located.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was told of this hidden clue years ago. In my UK job I was driving upto 6 hire cars a week. Whilst the petrol pump rule is generally true, there were 2 types of vehicle that it wasn't true on. Unfortunately, I don't remember what they were now.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'd never been told this which prompted me to check my cars. My Pajero has it as stated, but my Isuzu doesn't!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I can't remember any car I've driven where it wasn't on the opposite side from the driving side.

On some of these vehicles a clue is needed as to where the petrol filler door opener is, and where the opener for the hood is.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm I can't remember any car I've driven where it wasn't on the opposite side from the driving side.
Traditionally, it was always that way from the days when petrol pumps were often just at the side of the road. I can remember when I was very young in the sixties, there was still one like that in the village where I lived.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:14 pm
PeteC wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm I can't remember any car I've driven where it wasn't on the opposite side from the driving side.
Traditionally, it was always that way from the days when petrol pumps were often just at the side of the road. I can remember when I was very young in the sixties, there was still one like that in the village where I lived.
Maybe, but traditionally the fuel filling cap was at the REAR of cars. Not so much so on trucks.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

On some of these vehicles a clue is needed as to where the petrol filler door opener is, and where the opener for the hood is.
I have two cars and the Pajero is on the near side and the other is on the offside. I wouldn't think that the petrol filler changes on the same model whether it's a left hand drive or right hand drive. But I don't know!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:35 pm

I have two cars and the Pajero is on the near side and the other is on the offside. I wouldn't think that the petrol filler changes on the same model whether it's a left hand drive or right hand drive. But I don't know!
What I don't know is WTF is "offside" and bloody "near side"! :?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Nereus wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:46 pm
HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:35 pm

What I don't know is WTF is "offside" and bloody "near side"! :?
This explains this archaic terminology!:
https://www.academieduello.com/news-blo ... d-a-horse/

"The horse’s left is his near side, the right his off side. We lead horses, do up their tack, and mount from the near side. Believe it or not, this all goes back to the days of wearing swords on horseback. Since a sword is usually hung from the left hip, mounting from the left means the scabbarded sword does not have to cross the horse’s back as the rider swings his leg over. Also, if you are mounting with sword in hand, your left hand is able to control the reins, and the right hand your sword, as you mount."
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks, Steve. Didn't know the origin so thanks for teaching me.

For Nereus, the near side is the side nearest the kerb and the offside is the opposite.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

"The horse’s left is his near side, the right his off side.
Ok, thank you. Grew up on a farm and had my own horse, plus my late Father was a great horseman, but I have never heard that previously! But then I had a gun, not a sword, and the scabbard or holster was on the right side!

The fuel filler was at the front, and the exhaust at the rear. :thumb:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The fuel filler was at the front,...
I suppose with a horse, it'll move to whichever side the fuel is!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I guess EVs have a lightening strike emblem