UK--currency & metric

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

UK--currency & metric

Post by oakdale160 »

As I lived in the UK as a child and teenager, when talking to British people about my memories they find it amusing when i talk about--A couple of bob or thirty shillings etc. The new currency is totally accepted. (although seems to lack the slang terms for coins) but metric is another story, It seems to be a very mixed bag--beer sold in pints, but spirits in metric. Petrol sold in litres but usage quoted in miles/gallon.
Some of this occurs in Canada but it is very age-related, my children never talk in Imperial and are embarrassed when I do, while older people still talk in the old units. Is that the case in the UK too?
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Re: UK--currency & metric

Post by MDMK »

oakdale160 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:20 pm Is that the case in the UK too?
yes
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I still measure in feet and inches. :oops: Anybody talking centimetres I am lost.
Pounds and ounces fine not grams and kilograms I have not got a clue.
Pints and gallons easy litres not a chance.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I have no problem converting between imperial and metric although litres per 100km means nothing to me. What I get messed-up with is Imperial pints and gallons vs US pints and gallons. Plus the US don’t use stones and I struggle dividing my weight in pounds by 14 to work out how much I put on over Christmas!

Being born around the time of currency decimalisation, I have almost no knowledge or use for ‘old money’ designations but frequently use terms like “ten bob” or “a few shillings”.

I’m in Chicago at the moment (-20°C!) and get increasingly irritated by too many ‘z’s and too few ‘u’s, and degrees Fahrenheit? Fawgeddabowdit!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This country is just as bad. Last week my son bought some mats. The size was shown in the catalogue as 2 x 1.2 x 2, which was:

2 metres long
1.2 metres wide
2 inches thick

I had already measured his existing mats as 200cm x 120cm x 5cm. The catalogue also sold 2 x 1.2 x 5, which were over double the price of what he had purchased previously. We needed to telephone the company to clarify.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Yes it’s quite strange that in a country that is predominantly metric, feet and inches still prevails in a number of areas - pipes and paint brushes are often quoted in imperial sizes
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:56 ampipes and paint brushes are often quoted in imperial sizes
BSP (British Standard Pipe) sizes (imperial) are used worldwide.

I was working in Denmark some years ago where we needed some imperial to metric pipe-work adaptors - a somewhat irate fitter pointed out that "the UK was getting closer to the metric system inch by inch"

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

One confusing thing that has only half made the conversion from inches to metric is car tyres(tires for Pete).

Rim sizes are still measured in inches, both the diameter and the width, while the tyre size is metric. And just to add a bit more confusion we now have an "aspect ratio" included!

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/char ... l-diameter
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

From pharvey: I was working in Denmark some years ago where we needed some imperial to metric pipe-work adaptors - a somewhat irate fitter pointed out that "the UK was getting closer to the metric system inch by inch"

That is so funny--guess it should be---centimeter by centimeter.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Reminds me of that old saying

Give him 2.54 centimeters and he'll take 1609 meters.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I used to work in the international freight industry, the majority of countries used the metric system, all except the US haulage industry who insisted on the imperial measures. We always believed it was because of the Teamsters Union`s refusal to align themselves to the rest of the world
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

It is fun to tease Americans and ask them why they continue to be so dedicated to measurements based on British royalty.Telling them that the yard is the distance between Henry First's nose and thumb and the inch the length of his thumb.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:01 am It is fun to tease Americans and ask them why they continue to be so dedicated to measurements based on British royalty.Telling them that the yard is the distance between Henry First's nose and thumb and the inch the length of his thumb.
What was used for measurements before Henry's appendages? Any relationship between a front/back/school yard and Henry's nose/thumb?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

They were using cubits, the old Roman system, before the yard, foot and inch.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:54 am They were using cubits, the old Roman system, before the yard, foot and inch.
Thank you.
If cubits were Roman what was Noah using to build the mythical ark? King Jimmy says god told Noah to build the ark x number of cubits long and wide.