Price comparison FOOD - Hua Hin/U.K

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Re: Price comparison FOOD - Hua Hin/U.K

Post by buksida »

T.O.M. wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:40 pm But what is the point? Are you suggesting that people living in Thailand should do their shopping in a German owned shop in the UK..?
Do you really have nothing better to do?

Instead of following me around the forum constantly looking for an argument how about getting back on your bicycle and going out to play with the SUVs. :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

T.O.M. wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:40 pm Are you suggesting that people living in Thailand should do their shopping in a German owned shop in the UK..?
This thread is about the price of food in Hua Hin and the UK. It has nothing to do with business ownership. So your point is?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've just found this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... xpenditure

"•In 2016/17 the amount that an average household spent on all food and drink, including alcoholic drinks and food eaten out was £43.18 per person per week. When inflation is taken into account, the amount spent was 1.1 per cent more than 2015 and 0.1 per cent more than 2013. Household food and non-alcoholic drink purchases formed the largest share at £26.34 per person per week."

So basically, it costs about 100 pounds a week to feed a family of four at home.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

So basically, it costs about 100 pounds a week to feed a family of four at home.

4000Bht. It cost about 2000Bht a week for 2 here, so basically it costs the same to eat here as in the UK. Next topic, please.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Beat That Price!

Post by Lost »

I'm not in Thailand at the minute so can't do a shop-to-shop bargain. I can do a country to country bargain though. This could be any electrical items, food stuffs, housing etc. Will be helpful for expats when buying goods.

I'll start the ball rolling with an unhelpful post as I'm out the country (when I'm back will contribute more helpful posts directing expats to the best deals). Can anywhere in Hua Hin 'Beat this Price'? If so where?

Just spent £8.23 at Aldi UK (301.56 baht)

15 eggs.
Butter
6 pint of milk
2 kilos of rice
2.5 kilos of potatoes
500g honey nut cornflakes
1kg raisin/almond granola
1 loaf of brown bread
4 tins of beans

Beat that price.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Beat That Price!

Post by Lost »

Why have you stuck this here?

It was a thread to discuss costs of anything both local and price comparisons abroad. Someone posts a local place to buy bike parts? Electrical equipment? Found an absolute bargain. Surely can't be beaten... (I did say my initial contribution was a little unhelpful, doesn't mean to say the local expats' input would be)

He or she could've mentioned it here (in recently deceased thread). What's not to like...

...Beat that Price!

FFS.

:banghead: :blues: :bow:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

^^
Time for your medication..... :duck:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I suppose it depends somewhat on what you eat.

If I, as an expat here, want to drink lots of milk, eat cheese and useless potatoes, breakfast on some imported cereals and eat "proper" bread", not to mention fart myself around on cans of beans, then I guess I'd be paying more here then in the UK.

That's it really. My wife and I eat really well at home for about 9,000 THB a month and that includes all the accessories like sauces, laundry etc etc stuff as well.

I could ask you to beat that but with the GBP in nosedive again, I just might decide not to.
buksida

Post by buksida »

In the UK at the moment and with current exchange rates pretty much every grocery item is now way cheaper than the equivalent in Thailand. Bought an 830g block of mature cheddar yesterday for 2.39 which works out at 88.5 baht. The same in Thailand would be almost ten times the price. Even pub prices are now cheaper than the equivalent over there.

The only thing that is more expensive is eating Thai food out! It is a good time to go if you have baht to spend!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

lomuamart wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:36 pm I suppose it depends somewhat on what you eat.

If I, as an expat here, want to drink lots of milk, eat cheese and useless potatoes, breakfast on some imported cereals and eat "proper" bread", not to mention fart myself around on cans of beans, then I guess I'd be paying more here then in the UK.

That's it really. My wife and I eat really well at home for about 9,000 THB a month and that includes all the accessories like sauces, laundry etc etc stuff as well.

I could ask you to beat that but with the GBP in nosedive again, I just might decide not to.
What flavor is your laundry?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Oyster sauce.