Electricity and Water Charges

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
buksida

Re: Electricity and Water Charges

Post by buksida »

Apparently, Thai social media is awash with complaints about power bill price hikes (they've increased the FT as announced). Ours is also up and we're not even there - its a lottery!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

PEA's Hua Hin district fb page has a table showing how discounts on the new ft charges vary with units used from now to December. Only those using less than 500 units get any discount at all. It's in Thai, but Google translate will help with the text. Here's the link anyway.

pea-ft-hh
pharvey

Re: Shopping Mall Christmas Lights

Post by pharvey »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:22 pm The electricity crises doesn't have to seem to hit Thailand, yet. My electricity bill has gone up 100% from last year.
Be thankful it's only 100%..... :banghead: :cuss: Well, talks of a new "Big Screen" Smart TV are over - videos on the laptop!! :roll:

Running heating at an absolute minimum in the UK, BUT what's it cost to run AC in the "warmer" parts of the world?! This time of year not a worry in Thailand/HH, but come April.....

[EDIT] Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the thread....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I must say, we noticed a spike in costs in September (maybe +25%), but everything seems to have settled here again. Certainly, we've had no thoughts of cutting back, and we have our outdoors Christmas lights back this year for the first time since Covid.

I talk to my daughter - a regular Thai on Thai income - she hasn't really noticed a difference.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Shopping Mall Christmas Lights

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:52 am
Bamboo Grove wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:22 pm The electricity crises doesn't have to seem to hit Thailand, yet. My electricity bill has gone up 100% from last year.
Well, talks of a new "Big Screen" Smart TV are over - videos on the laptop!!
I wouldn't think a TV draws a lot of electricity, but please correct me if wrong.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Modern TVs use, on average, 58.6 watts when in On mode and 1.3 watts in standby mode. The power consumption of modern TVs ranges from 10W to 117W (0.5W to 3W on standby).
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Maybe it’s the fact that electricity and gas (and most other things) have increased substantially, that it’s the capital outlay that’s being avoided?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:42 pm Maybe it’s the fact that electricity and gas (and most other things) have increased substantially, that it’s the capital outlay that’s being avoided?
Yup :roll: The TV budget is certainly going towards the "cost of living" - unfortunately that doesn't inlude for my "boy's toys"!! :banghead: :cry:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Our electric bills are now consistently about 40% higher than they should be for this cooler time of year. Gas prices have gone up, but its marginal.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

pharvey wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:42 pm Maybe it’s the fact that electricity and gas (and most other things) have increased substantially, that it’s the capital outlay that’s being avoided?
Yup :roll: The TV budget is certainly going towards the "cost of living" - unfortunately that doesn't inlude for my "boy's toys"!! :banghead: :cry:
This Guardian article might confirm what you already know. But the cost of modern electronics is surprisingly low. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/ ... -power-use
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

hhinner wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:19 pm
pharvey wrote:
This Guardian article might confirm what you already know. But the cost of modern electronics is surprisingly low. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/ ... -power-use
Thanks for that hhinner - certainly interesting, but you’d be amazed with the difference in estimates from various publications/authors....
Hitting us at the moment due to huge increase in costs, it's winter - gas central heating and being in "not-so-sunny Wales", we have a hit on the solar panels. The LHG has a fascination for the washing machine and tumble dryer (and watching me roll around at speed) which doesn't help either me or the bills.

I think one of the biggest savings has been using an "Air Fryer". Very popular now in the UK and as such, more recipes/tips for use. Not big, but when it's just the LHG and I, very useful. Have to admit, I do like it.

A possitive (if there is one for most) is the awareness of cost saving - beit energy usage, (less) food wasteage or thermal insulation (UK).
The downside, is that the spongers just get further handouts and we put more illeagal immagrants in hotels (along with free electricty and heating)......
buksida

Post by buksida »

The FTI said product prices could go up by 5-12% if the government hikes the electric bill for the period of January and April as planned.

The current electricity price is already at a record high of 4.72 Baht per kilowatt hour (unit).

The government is planning to hike the FT (fuel tariff) rate for electricity bills between the billing period of January and April which could increase the price of electricity to 5.37-6.03 per unit.

“The rising electricity bill mainly came from the mismanagement of the gas resource in the gulf of Thailand,” said Isare Rattanadilok Na Phuket, the deputy chairman of the FTI.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/46723/indu ... -declined/
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

How nice that we get to pay for the mismanagement of resources.
Take it out of the military budget.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:22 am How nice that we get to pay for the mismanagement of resources.
Take it out of the military budget.
Well in the UK, the first statement certainly applies - with regards to the latter, with little budget they have, I hope they (the armed forces) take the place of those on strike (save the NHS though).
buksida

Post by buksida »

Pricey power bills expected to ease

Electricity bills are expected to decline from May to August as the fuel tariff (Ft) dips following a decrease in the price of liquefied natural gas (LNG), says Energy Minister Supattana­pong Punmeechaow.

The Ft is a key component of the power tariff, which has soared since last year, resulting in expensive power bills.

"The new power tariff should not exceed 4.72 baht per kilowatt-hour [unit] for households and 5.33 baht per unit for businesses because LNG prices have eased," Mr Supattanapong told a seminar entitled "The NEXT Thailand's Future".

The two rates are applicable from January to April.

The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) last year decided to increase the power tariff, driven by a higher Ft, by 13% to 5.33 baht per unit, up from a record high of 4.72 baht per unit for businesses, while maintaining the tariff at 4.72 baht per unit for households.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/25 ... ed-to-ease