New Police Order for Visa Extensions

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Re: New Police Order for Visa Extensions

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe you should name and shame the helpful English speaking lady. Her advice is contrary to everything that has been said to date i.e. Immigration will not be interested in documentation from outside of Thailand. :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

At least with my bank book, I can understand that Imm might want to see further proof that funds came from abroad. After all, Imm will assume that I'm working if monies are coming from BKK (which is what the bank book's code shows). That's what I was trying to cover off with the bank this morning.

But to insist that income must come from a pension is crazy. And I have seen this reported before. In the UK now, the age for a government pension is 67 (I think). So, how can Thailand have regulations that say a person can retire at 50? That person might have private pensions but I bet, at that age, they're more likely to have income from other sources.

When the good old British Embassy were issuing letters, they categorically stated that my income came from rent in the UK. That was never an issue with Imm.

I suppose that's point 1.

Point 2 would be that, say, I've got a private pension of 200K THB a month (I wish) but I only need to bring over 100K THB. Would my pension company split the payment?

I don't know the answer to that but I remember seeing forms last year from my pension provider that were specifically for transferring to Thailand. I don't recall seeing any option for me to, for instance, only send some of it and keep the rest in the UK.

So it's all or nothing?

I'm not doubting what you've reported, Scout. I'm at Blueport tomorrow getting a re-entry permit. I'll try and ask an officer then.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My pension company, probably the largest in the UK will not pay to Thailand, so that would be me and many others fcuk'd.

IMHO this is just more scaremongering because things have gone quiet for a few days.

Points 48; Position 20
healey100
Novice
Novice

Post by healey100 »

My SCB Bank provides me with a section in online banking, called
Historical Statement.
Here on the account the entries and exits for each month are listed separately.
The monthly pension is shown as FRC (Foreign Remitance & Settlement).
The list can be printed. In my case backdated to Aril 2018.
Might be adequate as confirmation of immigration.
The bank's server should also be able to print and confirm these lists.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Bangkok Bank has an Branch in both New York, and London. As such they operate just like any other local bank in these locations. I opened my Bangkok Bank account at the Boonthavorn Branch here in Hua Hin. For years I’ve transferred money into Thailand by instructing my other US bank to EFT (Swift) funds to me here in Thainland, using the routing number of the New York Branch of Bangkok Bank and my account number from my Hua Hin Bangkok Bank Branch. My wife has confirmed that US Social Security will direct deposit into the New York branch of Bangkok Bank. We’ve yet to try it in reverse but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Perhaps using the swift number for the London branch combined with a local account number would work for having UK pensions direct deposited into Thailand.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:My pension company, probably the largest in the UK will not pay to Thailand, so that would be me and many others fcuk'd.

IMHO this is just more scaremongering because things have gone quiet for a few days.
On the other hand there are other pension companies that will pay direct to Thai banks. I have 2 such pensions. If it becomes necessary you could check on your pension company's current policy, it may have changed. Apologies (and commiseration) if you've already done so.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There has been no need, and I don't believe there is a need now. Just the scaremongers wanting some new action. As lomu points out, pension is one of many sources. IMHO this helpful English speaking lady, and her advice are very flawed. Time will tell - I'm certainly not going to jump through the scaremongering hoops based on a desk clerk's advice.

Points 48; Position 20
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

^^
Don't shoot the messenger...
The poster just shared HIS experience and the reply, that he had got....Not claiming that is was the law.

Since we probably can look forward to different immigration offices interpret the income rules in their own and different way....it is going to differ from office to office.....May I suggest, that those who can afford it and can get their ducks in a row in time....are going down the 400/800k route,. Less hustle and not having to worry about if the immigration officer is having a bad day, and want to make your life difficult.
Never understood the point of keeping money in your home country....where they are losing value to the baht on a seemingly never ending downward curve.....if the same money can buy you a hustle free visa.
All IMO of course.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

So, as I see things, the major change has happened to the savings route. Tying money up here for longer and longer. Up to you if you want to do it that way.

I mean really, you can't use some of your money to even live on? And the houses some of you live in. That paper trail. Well, I hope that leads to repatriation of the funds if the need becomes necessary. (Which I'm sure is possible).

In the meantime, after 21 years here, I'm not of a mind to sell my property in London quite yet.

With elections coming up and possible trouble on the streets, well I'm pissed off that I'll miss it all because I have to go back to England for family reasons. Mind you, I'll be reading this thread with interest.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

T.O.M. wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 pm Don't shoot the messenger...
I'm not shooting any messenger. I'm saying this helpful English speaking lady should be named and shamed as a Thai Immigration Officer who has jumped on the scaremonger train, and IMHO is spouting unsubstantiated tosh.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

One of the reasons of different advice from various Immigration Offices and even from different officers is in the Thai mentality. They cannot say "I don't know" as this would be seen as a massive loss of face. They would, instead, make up the reply.
I used to teach in the universities here and I've never heard a Thai teacher respond to a question by "I don't know, but I'll find out for you". Nope, they will make up the answer whether it be right or wrong (often wrong but then they can't admit to that either!)
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

As a follow up to my bank visit yesterday, I've just received an email from them attaching the credit advices I asked for.

At a cursory glance, they seem to do the trick. All advices give the date of transfer, the amount (in THB after conversion from GBP) and where and who the ordering customer was. This was me, from my given UK address and from a UK bank ( in code but it's Barclays).

Then there are a few lines detailing the correspondent bank (in code) and then the beneficiary which again is me at my HH address and to KBank.

So, that might do it as long as I have understood what Imm want to see. Of course, I could have got it all wrong but there is an international paper trail for my monthly transfers which makes me a little more relaxed - for now.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Whatever is in code I would imagine immigration will want a letter from the bank explaining what the codes are, this is of course unless there is a master code list available to them that's common with all Thai banks.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If a Thai "losses face" is it ever found again or are they permanently disfigured?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:lach: