Parcel service to Europe that accepts electronics

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
heilong
Rookie
Rookie

Parcel service to Europe that accepts electronics

Post by heilong »

Hello everyone!

I used to live in Thailand but am now in Luxembourg. I asked my old neighbor to send a box of my things to me.

There are some hand tools, an electrical multi-meter and a Dremel (corded power tool). There are also a few electronic parts (e.g. resistors, transistors, LEDs, etc). Just to be clear, there are no Li-Ion batteries there.

So my neighbor went to the Pran Buri post office (nearest to him) and when they saw the contents they said electronics are not allowed, and refused to send it. There was an information board on the wall which listed prohibited items, and that board didn't have electronics listed, however they insisted they can't send it.

Did anyone have similar experience with Thailand post? Should I advise my neighbor to visit another post office, e.g. the one in Hua Hin? Or can you recommend an alternative service? The package would be about 15 kg, I guess, which would cost 6000-7000 baht to send to Luxembourg by Thailand post, if they would take it.

Thanks in advance
--Gene
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Parcel service to Europe that accepts electronics

Post by StevePIraq »

DHL will ship lap top computers so I am sure they will ship what you have.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
heilong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heilong »

I will consider DHL but I suppose it will be expensive. Like I said, it's a ~15 kg parcel to EU (Luxembourg). I've tried to get a quote on DHL's website, but the form keeps telling me incorrect postcode and/or city (I tried 77110, Hua Hin).
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Unless there's sentimental value involved it would be cheaper to replace the items in Luxembourg.
heilong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heilong »

@handdrummer Yes I know, but there are a few quite valuable items (professional grade electronic tools) which would be more expensive to replace, and some not so expensive but really lightweight things, which should make the affair cost-effective. Unless I end up having to pay a lot of customs fees...

Appreciate the advice, but would be more helpful to hear some answers to the exact questions I asked. Thanks!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

heilong wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 pm @handdrummer Yes I know, but there are a few quite valuable items (professional grade electronic tools) which would be more expensive to replace, and some not so expensive but really lightweight things, which should make the affair cost-effective. Unless I end up having to pay a lot of customs fees...

Appreciate the advice, but would be more helpful to hear some answers to the exact questions I asked. Thanks!
If you can't find any other way of doing it, I travel from Hua Hin to Luxembourg every couple of months and could bring you a few tools if it wasn't anything heavy. To be honest, it's a pity you didn't post this a couple of weeks ago because I just brought back an empty suitcase!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Any parcel service other than Post Office is going to be expensive. DHL in basement of BluPort is very professional.
heilong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heilong »

But is it normal Post Office says they can't deliver electronics? I know that many countries' post office don't shop Li-Ion batteries because of fire risks, but electronics in general?
daddy

Post by daddy »

I heard this now for the first time. And I send many parcels to Europe (from Prachuap KK)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Should I advise my neighbor to visit another post office
Yes, it usually works like that.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
heilong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heilong »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 am If you can't find any other way of doing it, I travel from Hua Hin to Luxembourg every couple of months and could bring you a few tools if it wasn't anything heavy. To be honest, it's a pity you didn't post this a couple of weeks ago because I just brought back an empty suitcase!
Hey Steve, I sent you a PM. I can ask my neighbor to separate the electronics (there is not much there, really), shouldn't be heavy and send the rest by post. Do you by any chance visit Pran Buri sometimes? That's where the stuff is at. Please PM me.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

heilong wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 pm
STEVE G wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 am If you can't find any other way of doing it, I travel from Hua Hin to Luxembourg every couple of months and could bring you a few tools if it wasn't anything heavy. To be honest, it's a pity you didn't post this a couple of weeks ago because I just brought back an empty suitcase!
Hey Steve, I sent you a PM. I can ask my neighbor to separate the electronics (there is not much there, really), shouldn't be heavy and send the rest by post. Do you by any chance visit Pran Buri sometimes? That's where the stuff is at. Please PM me.
OK, I'll reply to your PM.