Retirement visa - bank account requirements for a couple

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Hipop
Rookie
Rookie

Retirement visa - bank account requirements for a couple

Post by Hipop »

The Thai retirement visa stipulation is for a bank account containing Bht 800,000 min. If my non-Thai national wife is on the same visa, does the bank account have to be 2 x Bht 800,000?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Retirement visa - bank account requirements

Post by oakdale160 »

One stupid and funny story. I went to the bank, got the letter. Then went to the ATM machine in the bank and drew out 5000 baht to pay the imigration fees. Then stupidly updated my Bank book. So when I returned to Imm. the letter and bb were 5000b apart and so I had to go back to the bank and get a new letter.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If the applicant's spouse will be accompanying him or her, a copy of the
applicant's valid marriage certificate must be presented as supporting
documentation (Should be notorized). If the applicant's spouse is not qualified
for the retirement visa (e.g. not age 50+ or age 50, but not enough income), the
spouse will be considered for the Non-Immigrant Visa Type “O” or Temporary
Residents.
This, in effect, is what they call 'piggy-backing'. As long as one party has the required funds then the other stays on the strength of that visa.
If the main visa holder dies, then the dependent spouse has a limited time to leave the country and obtain a new visa.
Hipop
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hipop »

So does my wife have to provide any separate documentation, other than my own, to support our non-immigration visa OA, or is it just my documents which need to be in order? The Thai embassy here in UAE requires at least 6 months on my visa, but my wife does not currently have the required 6 months on hers. Does she need to renew her visa?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hipop wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:12 pm So does my wife have to provide any separate documentation, other than my own, to support our non-immigration visa OA, or is it just my documents which need to be in order? The Thai embassy here in UAE requires at least 6 months on my visa, but my wife does not currently have the required 6 months on hers. Does she need to renew her visa?
Your post is very confusing. What visa in the UAE are you referring to? Thai visa? UAE visa? Or are you talking about passports?

Why are you referring to an OA visa? Such a visa can only be obtained in your country of residence. If you have a resident visa in the UAE, then you can apply there, but that visa requires a lot more documentation for very little gain.

If you qualify, money in a Thai bank, over 50 years old etc., you can convert a tourist visa in Thailand to an "O" visa, (NOT an "OA"), while the tourist visa still has at least 30 days validity. Not sure about the documentation now, but I think that all you need in addition is confirmation of your marriage by the Thai MFA(Ministry of Foreign Affairs), obtainable in Thailand.

And as posted previously, if you are legally married only one of you needs the 800k in a Thai bank. Also note that the account must be in one name, NOT a joint account. OR, you can open a term deposit for the 800k. For the initial application the 800k is only required to be in the bank for 2 months, BUT be aware that Hua Hin, and maybe other places, require 3 months. The local office will tell you if you ask well before your application.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Retirement visa - bank account requirements for a couple

Post by Dannie Boy »

I obtained my O-A visa in the UAE as I was a “resident” there working and I don’t recall it being much of a hasssle to obtain.
Hipop
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hipop »

Sorry Nereus, i am referring to my UAE visa. Apparently, my thai visa cannot be processed by the Thai embassy here unless there is a t least 6 months on my UAE visa.

Dannie Boy - thanks for the feedback.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hipop wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:47 pm Sorry Nereus, i am referring to my UAE visa. Apparently, my thai visa cannot be processed by the Thai embassy here unless there is a t least 6 months on my UAE visa.

Dannie Boy - thanks for the feedback.
All the more reason to do it in Thailand from a tourist visa!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!