Decent wine decent price in city bars

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Decent wine decent price in city bars

Post by thecolonel »

I drink Red wine in UK but never drink it here oddly

Now I'm forced to due gout...

So, in the city Hilton /binta block where can a get a decent glass of red wine at a reasonable cost?

Or is 220/250 baht a reasonable cost a la cheers bar(adj Hilton)?

Most bars I see have awful red wine in a box and charge too much for it....

Thoughts please...

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
buksida

Re: Decent wine decent price in City

Post by buksida »

There is no decent priced wine in Thailand any longer since they hiked the tax on it a few months ago.

Unfortunately you'll be paying through the nose for cheap boxed crap unless you go to more high end places with a better selection (which will probably cost more).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

A guy I know buys his own reasonable quality/price bottle of wine and takes it to the restaurant - just check first that they won’t charge “corkage” - some do, some don’t
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

And right next-door in Cambodia good French, Chilean, Aussie and NZ wine is sold at really inexpensive prices, About 200-300 baht.
buksida

Post by buksida »

That doesn't really help the dude that wants to drink it in Hua Hin ... :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

oakdale160 wrote:And right next-door in Cambodia good French, Chilean, Aussie and NZ wine is sold at really inexpensive prices, About 200-300 baht.
That price per glass or per bottle? Image
And yes I am rather wanting it in HH bintablock area not Cambodia... tee hee..
Need to find a bar that will charge me 30 baht a glass to drink my own wine Image

Thistle
Professional
Professional

Re: Decent wine decent price in city bars

Post by Thistle »

What Dannie Boy says is very relevant.
The wine that is being offered now in many establishments in town is not wine,but "Fruit Wine",the Thai will not distinguish between the two,,,,,,,,,,,,fruit wine is considerably cheaper than real wine,and therefore you will end up not actually drinking wine whether it be from a bottle or box.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I thought the change in taxation had meant there is now no advantage to fruit wine, so are they still selling that stuff?
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

There is a new Wine and Spirits shop open on Soi Selekam next to No Name Bar, I don't know how good the prices are.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Gus wrote:There is a new Wine and Spirits shop open on Soi Selekam next to No Name Bar, I don't know how good the prices are.
I've seen it, popped in once but didn't ask prices, must go back and investigate!

I do appreciate that it will cost me quite a lot more to drink the same wine here than UK I'm just looking to reduce that cost if at all possible. And to drink something decent! I don't expect to sit in a bar and drink my wine for free. But as a longstanding customer I hope they would be sensible... 20 or 30 baht a glass?

Bought this today for 580 at villa

It's 250 baht at home in Tesco so bit of a shock.

Theres a thought, I must go to Tesco here and check out their prices!

A glass of a decent wine in Cheers bar after 8pm is 4 times the price of a bottle of beer. That stings a bit when I'd far rather have a beer! (bloody gout!) ImageImage

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:06 pm
Gus wrote:There is a new Wine and Spirits shop open on Soi Selekam next to No Name Bar, I don't know how good the prices are.
I've seen it, popped in once but didn't ask prices, must go back and investigate!

I do appreciate that it will cost me quite a lot more to drink the same wine here than UK I'm just looking to reduce that cost if at all possible. And to drink something decent! I don't expect to sit in a bar and drink my wine for free. But as a longstanding customer I hope they would be sensible... 20 or 30 baht a glass?

A glass of a decent wine in Cheers bar after 8pm is 4 times the price of a bottle of beer. That stings a bit when I'd far rather have a beer! (bloody gout!) ImageImage

You’ve mentioned your gout a few times - are you taking medication (colchicine and allopurinol) are widely available in pharmacies and not expensive at about 30 Baht for a pack of 10 tablets.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:06 pm

You’ve mentioned your gout a few times - are you taking medication (colchicine and allopurinol) are widely available in pharmacies and not expensive at about 30 Baht for a pack of 10 tablets.
Replied via PM re gout, cheers

Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

I would have thought Australian wine would have had an edge price wise over other imported wines as a result of the FTA (Free Trade Agreement) between Australia and Thailand. Looking at shelf prices here it doesn't seem to reflect this. Perhaps just a greater margin for the retailer.

EXERPT

Tariffs, regulations and customs

The Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement provides Australian wine producers with preferential treatment (with a zero tariff) over other wine exporting counties (with the exception of Chile which has an FTA and New Zealand which has 0 per cent through its Closer Economic Partnership with Thailand). Wine from almost all other countries are subject to a 54 per cent import duty (Source: DFAT, Key Outcomes of the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement, March 2015) .

This benefit to Australian wine exporters multiplies after the application of Thailand’s heavy and complex alcohol excise and VAT tax regime – to where Australian wines (over 1,000 baht) can be around 65 per cent cheaper than wines from other countries (the exception Chile and New Zealand) when the same mark-up is applied. (Source: Austrade calculationss.

https://www.austrade.gov.au/Australian/ ... tries/Wine
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

QUOTE Bluesky:

"This benefit to Australian wine exporters multiplies after the application of Thailand’s heavy and complex alcohol excise and VAT tax regime – to where Australian wines (over 1,000 baht) can be around 65 per cent cheaper than wines from other countries (the exception Chile and New Zealand) when the same mark-up is applied. (Source: Austrade calculationss."

Very informative - do the customs and retail outlets actually practice it? What is the issue with limit downwards of 1000 baht?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

I am not a big wine drinker but my passed on friend was. He went to The Sailom Hotel everyday and had them trained to look after his wine.
He oince told me that he bought South African wine as they had a trade agreement with Thailand so their wine wasn't taxed as much as wine from other countries. I have an idea he bought the wine in boxes.