Proposal to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: Proposal to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

deepee wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:04 pm I suspect this insurance proposal falls more towards accident insurance rather than trying to keep old farts up and running.
That is totally at odds with the announcement made by the government adviser quoted in the article. It doesn't say anything about accident instance, it talks about health insurance. Again, as per the original article and the same government adviser:
The amended criterion is aimed at ensuring health protection for long-stay visa holders – mostly elderly foreigners – and also benefit the public and private hospitals in the country ...
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Look at it from the Thai govt hospitals point of view. Ex-pats, who they consider to all be wealthy, show up at their hospitals, who have limited budgets, get care and then refuse to pay. You can see how they would encourage such a measure.
A simpler measure proposed some years ago was to raise the visa fees by a large amount and reward the hospitals for unpaid care from this money. How could that possibly go wrong?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As hinted at in a previous post of mine, it would be morally correct to provide reciprocal arrangements as does many other countries.
e.g. Thais are given free healthcare in the UK (not talking about tourists) so why doesn't Thailand reciprocate for people from the UK. It works with 'double taxation', driving licences and others.

But of course This Is Thailand. What else would we expect.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:42 pm A simpler measure proposed some years ago was to raise the visa fees by a large amount and reward the hospitals for unpaid care from this money. How could that possibly go wrong?
How could that possibly go wrong? ... because then no one would buy insurance as it's "included" in the visa fee?
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

HHTel wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:44 pm As hinted at in a previous post of mine, it would be morally correct to provide reciprocal arrangements as does many other countries.
e.g. Thais are given free healthcare in the UK (not talking about tourists) so why doesn't Thailand reciprocate for people from the UK. It works with 'double taxation', driving licences and others.

But of course This Is Thailand. What else would we expect.
Careful what you wish for....
Thailand might get the idea to reciprocate UK's visa requirements..... :tsk:
If your Thai partner has to prove that he/she has sufficient income to sponsor your stay...there wouldn't be many...if any...expats living here.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:42 pm Look at it from the Thai govt hospitals point of view. Ex-pats, who they consider to all be wealthy, show up at their hospitals, who have limited budgets, get care and then refuse to pay. You can see how they would encourage such a measure.
Or do what the likes of Bangkok Hospital do, pay before treatment.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:34 pm
oakdale160 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:42 pm Look at it from the Thai govt hospitals point of view. Ex-pats, who they consider to all be wealthy, show up at their hospitals, who have limited budgets, get care and then refuse to pay. You can see how they would encourage such a measure.
Or do what the likes of Bangkok Hospital do, pay before treatment.
I suspect the Government run hospitals cannot do that due to current law.
Socrates

Post by Socrates »

I am a newbie here and want to tell you my experience with Thai Embassy in Germany, where I was asking for a Visa OX (5 years). That requires 3 Mio. THB and Thai health insurance, what you can choose between 4 insurances.

Since 35 years I have the best private insurance in Germany, covering all costs of healthy, unlimeted and worldwide without limit of age.

The OX Visa, doesn‘t accept my insurance. I have to invest about 400.000 Baht for 5 years for an in everything limited insurance.

I offered, to translate my insurance-document to Thai, confirmed from from German Embassy...

No chance...

Its so stupid.. and I am thinking, that this is only, because they don‘t understand the conditions of a private insurance like that, what I have.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

"Its so stupid.. and I am thinking, that this is only, because they don‘t understand the conditions of a private insurance like that, what I have."

I doubt it, the real plan is to have your money in Thailand.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

Socrates wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:38 pm I am a newbie here and want to tell you my experience with Thai Embassy in Germany, where I was asking for a Visa OX (5 years). That requires 3 Mio. THB and Thai health insurance, what you can choose between 4 insurances.

Since 35 years I have the best private insurance in Germany, covering all costs of healthy, unlimeted and worldwide without limit of age.

The OX Visa, doesn‘t accept my insurance. I have to invest about 400.000 Baht for 5 years for an in everything limited insurance.

I offered, to translate my insurance-document to Thai, confirmed from from German Embassy...

No chance...

Its so stupid.. and I am thinking, that this is only, because they don‘t understand the conditions of a private insurance like that, what I have.
If you are under 50 and want a long(ish) visa for Thailand, this makes more sense for you...
https://www.thailandelite.com/at-your-s ... ?locate=en
Socrates

Post by Socrates »

Thank you for your advice and I am very sorry, that I have no donkey what can shit gold...

2 Million Baht for 24 taxirides in Bangkok ? Because all others I can do myself. Not same but for free...
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Socrates wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:56 pm Thank you for your advice and I am very sorry, that I have no donkey what can shit gold...
:lach: :lach: :thumb: :cheers:

Socrates himself couldn't have put it better!
This is the way
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

Socrates wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:56 pm Thank you for your advice and I am very sorry, that I have no donkey what can shit gold...

2 Million Baht for 24 taxirides in Bangkok ? Because all others I can do myself. Not same but for free...
Apart from not having the gold shitting animal, you can't clearly not read either....I suggested the 'Easy Access" option, which is 500k for 5 years. Which I only suggested, because you said you had inquired about the OX visa.....A visa that makes absolutely no sense even if you have the 3 MB required.
Last edited by T.O.M. on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Socrates

Post by Socrates »

Thats true, but even the insurance for OX is only 20 % of this golden anythingcard...

I dont jealous who has a lot of money, because I have enough to life... but this show me once more, how to get a small capital in Thailand

... when you have a big one, before you come in this country.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

but for free...
Apart from not having the gold shitting animal, you can't clearly not read either....I suggested the 'Easy Access" option, which is 500k for 5 years. Which I only suggested, because you said you had inquired about the OX visa.....A visa that makes absolutely no sense even if you have the 3 MB required.

"Can't clearly not read." Is that similar to can't clearly not write? "When you're smiling, keep on smiling...…."