Are expats falling out of love with the Land of Smiles?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Are expats falling out of love with the Land of Smiles?

Post by handdrummer »

They are well behaved, spend lots of money and their State medical insurance plans are effective here

There is something to be said for civilization.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:39 am Here is a generalization and there are obvious exceptions. The Scandinavians,esp Swedish people, have been coming to HH for decades. They do not 'move' here, do not sell their houses back home and are snowbirds coming usually for 4-6 months to escape the Nordic winter, I suspect that when travel becomes more difficult they just stop coming, no great decision, just move on. They are good for Thai, again generally they do not complain, after all they have not committed in any way to Thai or HH. They are well behaved, spend lots of money and their State medical insurance plans are effective here
"Their state medical insurance plans are effective here"

Nonsense. If Scandinavians want to be insured in Thailand...tourist or expat....they have to take private insurance.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

To address the subject of this thread, I never was in with Thailand. Just one person here.

In all the countries I've been to, I find LOS no better or worse than any of them.

In comparison to the US, the people here are far better behaved.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand, Singapore are getting more expensive for expats
THAILAND and Singapore were among the biggest risers in a recent survey of most expensive locations in the world for expatriates.

Multinational human resource consultants ECA International, in its recently released Cost of Living survey, revealed that Thailand rose 32 places this year to enter the top 100 most expensive locations for the first time.

ECA International Regional Director Lee Quane said over the past five years, the Thai capital Bangkok has climbed more than 80 places to 90th place in the company’s cost of living rankings.

“The Thai baht has strengthened in recent years, as the economy has expanded and the political landscape has stabilised,” Quane said in the report.

“This means that Thai locations are now significantly more expensive for expat workers than they have been in the past.”

ECA, which has been conducting research into cost of living for more than four decades, carries out two main surveys on the expatriates per year.

Source: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2018/12/ ... or-expats/

I've certainly noticed the cost of food/groceries/household stuff is a lot more than it used to be - shopping in England is cheaper than here now!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson