Burns night

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Burns night

Post by uncle tom »

This Scottish tradition generally passes by un-celebrated in the LoS, but the excuse for a serious pub crawl coupled to sticking it to the ladyboys with a bunch of real men in skirts, has a certain attraction..

- Anyone know how to play the bagpipes?

Neets, tatties and haggis could be arranged with due notice..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Re: Burns night

Post by MDMK »

uncle tom wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:09 am Neets, tatties and haggis could be arranged with due notice..
It's neeps not neets

Depending on accent neets would be nits (headlice), which are never nice with potatoes and haggis :thumb:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I think there are plenty of Burns Night celebrations, but not necessarily organised by bars.
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I lived in Greenock for many years so have been to a few Burn's nights. Pouring good whiskey over a haggis, I believe, is a waste of good whiskey.

I was initially curious about 'neeps'. Why can't they call them turnips like everyone else?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

HHTel wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:40 pm I lived in Greenock for many years so have been to a few Burn's nights. Pouring good whiskey over a haggis, I believe, is a waste of good whiskey.
:tsk: After living in Greenock for many years, you really should know that whiskey is not Scottish! :laugh:
This is the way
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

HHTel wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:40 pm I was initially curious about 'neeps'. Why can't they call them turnips like everyone else?
Because then "The English" would know what they're talking about.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:03 pm :tsk: After living in Greenock for many years, you really should know that whiskey is not Scottish! :laugh:
to be fair though, anyone surviving Greenock for anything more than a week should be given carte blanche for any mistakes in life, except possibly murder :laugh:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'll be honest, I was thinking the same. They eat their young in Greenock. I used to drive through Greenock taking the coastal route to Largs, and that was enough for me.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:51 pm I'll be honest, I was thinking the same. They eat their young in Greenock. I used to drive through Greenock taking the coastal route to Largs, and that was enough for me.
oh.... you just made me think of Nardini's in Largs :idea:

driving through Greenock is ok... providing you don't drive too slow, they'll have your wheels off otherwise
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Not knowing anything about Greenock, I thought mdmk was being a bit harsh, so I looked it up on Goggle. It turns out you are both being unfair, as Greenock has a fine selection of tourist attractions and a rather special musical heritage.

Both of these are evident from the video below, telling in music the story of Greenock's famous Yellow House that a dastardly local council ordered should be painted white.

This is the way
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I rest my case m'lord
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

MDMK wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm oh.... you just made me think of Nardini's in Largs :idea:

driving through Greenock is ok... providing you don't drive too slow, they'll have your wheels off otherwise
Nardini's ice cream seems to be the only thing Largs is famous for, although the Indian buffets (Monday night if I remember correctly) were epic.

There were several traps (red lights) where you had to stop, as you drove through Greenock.

Anyway, we're a long way off topic :offtopic:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:03 pm
HHTel wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:40 pm I lived in Greenock for many years so have been to a few Burn's nights. Pouring good whiskey over a haggis, I believe, is a waste of good whiskey.
:tsk: After living in Greenock for many years, you really should know that whiskey is not Scottish! :laugh:
Oops! However:
The main difference between whisky and whiskey is of course the spelling. This reflects the original Scots and Gaelic derivations of the word 'Uisce beatha', meaning Water of Life, with each variation being carried through to modern use. Irish immigration to America in the 18th century means that we also refer to American 'whiskey' spelled with an e.

But 'whisky' and 'whiskey' are just two varieties of a wide family of spirits and alcohol - understanding what makes each one different key to unlocking a spectrum of flavours and experience
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:51 pm I'll be honest, I was thinking the same. They eat their young in Greenock. I used to drive through Greenock taking the coastal route to Largs, and that was enough for me.
MDMK wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:07 pm
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:03 pm :tsk: After living in Greenock for many years, you really should know that whiskey is not Scottish! :laugh:
to be fair though, anyone surviving Greenock for anything more than a week should be given carte blanche for any mistakes in life, except possibly murder :laugh:
Honestly, I actually enjoyed my time there. I met my first wife there. Learned a lot and became a local!
Greenock (pronounced Green-ock and not Grennock 'We're off to join a branch of the Green Oak Tree') was my home for quite a while.
Loved some of the food:
'Spiced beef ham'
'Fried Dumplin''
'Shell Pies'
'Scotch Broth'
'Cock a Leekie'
'Tattie Scones'
'Tablet'

Couldn't stand Haggis!

A pint of heavy (same as bitter in England)
If you can't afford whisky then you drank Lanliq or 4 crowns (cheap wine) which was about 13 bob a bottle.

Got to know the difference between a 'Prody' and a 'Fenian' (having made a few mistakes)

Got to see Billy Connoly before he became anglicised. (his jokes were much better in Scottish slang)

Could recite 'Ode to a mouse' in full. A wee sleekit coorin timorous beestie .....

And they do Hogmonay and Nee'rday far better than the English.

Sorry, just had a walk down memory lane.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Oh, I forgot Lorne Sausage which you can get excellent ones at Nany's. Exactly the same size as a slice of Aro bread!

Known as 'Slice' over the border.