Prominent writer exposes Hua Hin restaurant rip-off

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Published: 16/11/2018 at 06:12 PM
Online news: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... nt-rip-off

( Link to Thai language FB entry at above link)

When prominent writer Win Lyovarin took some foreign friends to eat at a seafood restaurant in a Hua Hin night market, he got a major shock when the time came to pay.

A plate of four grilled prawns was billed at 4,000 baht -- 1,000 baht each.

That was two months ago, but 62-year-old Win exposed the overpricing only on Friday -- and netizens ganged up against the resturant owner.

The two-time SEA Write Award winner and national artist said that he and his foreign friends visited Cha-am in Phechaburi province one day in September and went to nearby Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan to have dinner.

His friends wanted to try seafood at a restaurant in the Hua Hin market because they had seen its name advertised on websites. He took them there and found it was an ordinary restaurant, nothing special about it.

His friends ordered the food -- four kung phao (grilled prawns), tom yum soup, shellfish and some local dishes, he said.

Mr Win said he asked the waitress what the prawns cost and was told she would come back and tell him, but never did.

After finishing the meal, he asked for the bill, because he intended to pay it. He had estimated the total cost at around 1,500 baht or 2,000 baht at most, because the grilled shrimps were not very big.

A small girl brought to bill to their table, and it was an eyebrow-raiser -- over 6,000 baht, with the four grilled prawns charged at 1,000 baht each.

“I looked left and right for the owner to ask about the price. No shadow. Only the girl was looking at us to get the money,’’ he wrote.

As he was with his foreign guests, he decided not to make a scene. He paid and left.

“We left the restaurant, disappointed because we felt cheated. The seller had no intention of revealing the price when he saw there was only one Thai and the others were foreigners," he said.

Before posting the story, he told some friends about it and learned that this particular seafood restaurant in Hua Hin has been notorious for years for overcharging. However, nobody did anything to correct the problem. Customers complained and never returned. So the restaurant kept doing it.

“I initially hesitated about whether I would make this story public. Finally, I decided to tell it without giving the name of the restaurant.

"I never kept the bill or took photos of this place,’’ the writer said. But he hinted, saying people could search in Google by using the key words “seafood restaurant, Hua Hin, cheat” and they would soon know the answer.

He warned readers to ask food prices before ordering. He said mass tourism opened loopholes for unscrupulous people to take advantage of tourists. They did not care that what they did cast the majority of Thais in a bad light and stigmatised the country as a nation of cheats.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Prominent writer exposes Hua Hin restaurant rip-off

Post by usual suspect »

I remember Xmas last year when a group of Geordie-lads told me they'd been in a bar down Binta,all ordered gin & tonics & when the bill came,, each G+T worked out at UK£8.75 each.
I'm not naming the bar, but suffice to say it's owned by a MiB
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

I have already read this article couple of months ago. Exactly the same same prices, but another restaurant was mentioned also on night market. Now it's another one mentioned. I know this one, went with many friends and never cheated.
It's curious that this prominent writer, doesn't show us the bill.......STRANGE.....Fake news or just a cheap publicity for his name....
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

usual suspect wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:18 pm I remember Xmas last year when a group of Geordie-lads told me they'd been in a bar down Binta,all ordered gin & tonics & when the bill came,, each G+T worked out at UK£8.75 each.
I'm not naming the bar, but suffice to say it's owned by a MiB
Idiots deserves to be cheated. A GT is usually 120 to 140 BHT. If the bill seems too high, ask for price list and disagree until they correct the bill.
The bar down Binta on the right is well known for cheating farangs. The bill is never correct. But I blame groups who never check a bill with a certain quantity of drinks.
buksida

Post by buksida »

A street restaurant owner has kicked off at Hua Hin authorities on social media complaining they are being picked on for selling overpriced seafood.

Talk News Online reported that she posted an expletive laden rant complaining that taxi drivers don't get singled out for ripping off customers.

Prachuabkitkhan commerce representative Prasopchai Phoonkert said that measures had been taken to rein in the traders and make them display prices, but it was not easy to stop all malpractice. In his view charging top level seafood prices such as those in five star hotel restaurants was not right at a street market. Asking 1,000 baht for a BBQ prawn was over the top, he said.

Source: https://www.talknewsonline.com/76467/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The last time I walked down the night market, I couldn't help noticing that one of those larger seafood restaurants seemed to be wholly staffed by what to me looked like young Thai mafia types and their girlfriends.I know appearances can be deceptive but personally, I wouldn't take a chance on getting a fair deal there.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I wouldn't eat anywhere in a tourist haven like that without seeing a menu showing prices first. Those that won't display are obviously trying to fleece you.

We got stung once in Kota Kinabalu paying about 800 baht equivalent for a fish, never again!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I don't understand someone ordering at a restaurant with no prices displayed. Would you buy a shirt without knowing the price?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

They say in the UK that if there are no prices and you have to ask, then you can't afford it!