Thai Roundabout Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Thai Roundabout Thread

Post by HHTel »

Soi 88 Railway Crossing roundabout
Half a roundabout. Quite unique. I have trouble figuring out who has the right of way. Normal roundabouts are much simpler, although I doubt that Thais would agree.
A red traffic light doesn't cause everyone to stop. Traffic lights or roundabout - either are not used properly.
Big Boy

Re: Soi 91/116 Crossroads Traffic Lights

Post by Big Boy »

Half? Which part can't you see? :shock:

You're English, you should know who has the right of way. I thought it was only Thais who didn't understand the concept of giving way to traffic from the right. Have you gone native?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Unless they're doing it the French way, where you give way to traffic entering the roundabout, not on it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thai rules are the same as England in respect of Roundabouts.

Didn't the French see sense and change their right of way as well?

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - I see the French haven't decided:
Traditional French-style roundabouts are signposted by a round blue sign, and drivers inside the roundabout have to yield to incoming traffic (which comes from their right). However most roundabouts are now preceded by an international-style triangular sign above a message stating that you do not have the right of way ("Vous n'avez pas la priorité"), and drivers approaching the roundabout have to yield to drivers on the roundabout.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hmm, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Europe’s many traffic roundabouts are complicated enough – but this head-spinning, multi-directional traffic intersection in the UK is enough to make you walk to your destination. Located in Swindon, the famed Magic Roundabout is actually five mini roundabouts placed around a larger central, counterclockwise roundabout.

https://inhabitat.com/this-insane-traff ... head-spin/
Magic-Roundabout-889x498.jpg
Magic-Roundabout-889x498.jpg (83.06 KiB) Viewed 423 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been confused on Swindon's Magic Roundabout many times, but I've never been anywhere that monstrosity in the photo.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:17 pm Half? Which part can't you see? :shock:

You're English, you should know who has the right of way. I thought it was only Thais who didn't understand the concept of giving way to traffic from the right. Have you gone native?
If you continue round the half roundabout, then you are giving way to traffic coming from the left. Then who has the right of way if carrying on past the food court, direction of Nany's? Then coming from Nany's to enter the half roundabout, who has the right of way, traffic from soi 88 from Petchkasem or traffic from the railway road??

I've certainly not gone native. It makes the 'magic roundabout' back home very straightforward.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've never had a problem with the magic roundabout at Swindon. (See the gif at :

There's another one at Hemel. Others dotted around the country and they work very well.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Still confused by the half roundabout bit - it looks complete to me.

You should be giving way to traffic from the right, but Thais make their own rules. However, getting back to your original comment, Thai's poor knowledge of road rules is exactly why the Soi 91/116 junction should not have been a roundabout.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, BB. Have a look again. It is only a roundabout on the north side. The road coming from soi 88 (Petchkasem) is a 2 lane road that cuts the roundabout in half. I'm sure when you look again it'll click.

Look at your own video, the road markings are quite clear making it a half roundabout!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've looked at the lines that make it look like stop lines, but if you apply logic, they are actually lane markings. Again, a Thai failing on roundabouts - they don't know how to mark them clearly.

Yes, we survive Thai roundabouts daily, but not because they are simple to understand, but because we understand the hazard, and take extra care. Had they installed a roundabout at the Soi 91/116 junction, they'd have simply replaced one hazard with another hazard.

I agree, outside of Ting Tong land, a roundabout would have been the sensible solution.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:19 pm Unless they're doing it the French way, where you give way to traffic entering the roundabout, not on it.
We still get some French drivers on roundabouts in Luxembourg doing that, I suppose they think they're being polite but it just causes mayhem when it's busy.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Many Thai drivers do that as well. Seen it many times at Palm Hills and other roundabouts along that road to Cha-Am. Also in Phetchaburi. It is confusing though, the general rule in Thailand at 3 or 4 way stops is to give way to the left. Now along come roundabouts where it's (correctly IMO) the other way round.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

The posted signs at every Thai roundabout I’ve taken notice of state that traffic already in the roundabout has the right of way. Traffic approaching the roundabout is required to yield to traffic already in the roundabout. I’ll have to check if there are English language signs, but that’s what the Thai language signs say.