Guy Fawkes Night

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Guy Fawkes Night

Post by oakdale160 »

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
There is no good reason
Why this treason should ever be forgot.

I lived in the UK for some years as a child and teenager. "Bonfire Night" or "Fireworks Night" or "Guy Fawkes NIght" was a huge date on children's calendar. Is it still a biggy or has it been overpowered by Halloween??
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Guy Fawkes Night

Post by HHTel »

Mostly organised displays these days. However, this year has been a wash-out because of rain.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I guess making a bonfire, making a dummy Catholic terrorist and burning him is not very PC!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

According to the attached report, injuries caused by fireworks are on the increase - I suspect that many of the injuries are caused by lads acting irresponsibly, but that’s been going on for years - I can remember as a 14-15 year old when our scout troop organised a “firework fight” at our local heathland, fortunately nobody got injured but they could so easily have done so.

Two further factors, today’s fireworks are no doubt more powerful than they were 50+ years ago and most are made in China and probably not to the same standards as UK fireworks used to be.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46071940
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

However, this year has been a wash-out because of rain.
Only in the west of the country - best season ever for weather in the south east..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm not sure it's even referred to as Guy Fawkes night any more or that anyone under the age of about 40 has much of an idea what it's all about. My son-in-law believes that this is an example of the establishment trying to rewrite (or rather obscure) history, but I think he's missing the point, as the occasion 'celebrates' the execution of a 'terrorist' rather than glorifying Fawkes himself (although anarchist groups tend to wear Fawkes masks these days).

It's definitely been overtaken by Halloween now, for purely commercial reasons - you only have to go into a supermarket to see an aisle full of ghoulish masks and costumes. There was no such thing 40-50 years ago. No more penny for the guy, no bonfires and baked potatoes in the back garden, no fireworks from newsagents, no sparklers, rockets in bottles or catherine wheels nailed to the garden fence.

Having said that, there have been plenty of private fireworks around here for the last week or so, but I doubt any of them were related to Guy Fawkes.
This is the way
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

My mother, who was born in the 20`s, used to refer to it as Pope Night. Logical I suppose.